Ghost - Meliora

adace1

All of their cover, commercial and promotional art is gorgeous.

But the music seems so anemic in relation.

Then maybe you shouldn't be hanging out in this thread.

Exactly.

I will never understand why someone who isn't fan of a band would come into a thread dedicated to that band to talk about them.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Exactly.

I will never understand why someone who isn't fan of a band would come into a thread dedicated to that band to talk about them.

:goodone:

Check this:

"Ghost" was also involved in a 2013controversy surrounding the creation of a blasphemous food item by a Chicago eatery. The restaurant, known for naming new burgers after different heavy metal bands, created a "Ghost burger" garnished with an unconsecrated communion wafer and a red wine sauce. The addition to the menu was met with backlash, with both Catholic and secular sources calling the burger "offensive" and "in poor taste."

:laughing guy: http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/swedish-satanic-band-honored-at-grammy-awards

• Like 3

Check this:

"Ghost" was also involved in a 2013controversy surrounding the creation of a blasphemous food item by a Chicago eatery. The restaurant, known for naming new burgers after different heavy metal bands, created a "Ghost burger" garnished with an unconsecrated communion wafer and a red wine sauce. The addition to the menu was met with backlash, with both Catholic and secular sources calling the burger "offensive" and "in poor taste."

:laughing guy: http://www.churchmil...t-grammy-awards

:rfl: Hahahahaha... Good one!

The way I see it, this is a Rush forum. While its totally OK imo to have threads relating to other bands this is still a Rush driven board. Therefore I don't see why it is a problem for any members of it to have dissenting opinions regarding Rush or any other band for that matter. Now, thinking objectively about it I see your point, but while I am a music lover first and foremost it is my intent to understand why a band is so highly regarded, especially when I for one don't see what is so special about said band. Don't you think I want to appreciate them musically as much as others do.

Edited by Digital Dad

The way I see it, this is a Rush forum. While its totally OK imo to have threads relating to other bands this is still a Rush driven board. Therefore I don't see why it is a problem for any members of it to have dissenting opinions regarding Rush or any other band for that matter. Now, thinking objectively about it I see your point, but while I am a music lover first and foremost it is my intent to understand why a band is so highly regarded, especially when I for one don't see what is so special about said band. Don't you think I want to appreciate them musically as much as others do.

Perhaps a question might fill in the gaps, as opposed to continuously posting about how you don;t like them. We know that. It;s been said. Repeatedly.

If you're genuinely curious, inquire away. Otherwise, perhaps the Dad can abide elsewhere?

• Like 2

Perhaps a question might fill in the gaps, as opposed to continuously posting about how you don;t like them. We know that. It;s been said. Repeatedly.

If you're genuinely curious, inquire away. Otherwise, perhaps the Dad can abide elsewhere?

Then I'll say good day sir.

• Like 1

Then I'll say good day sir.

Go listen to some Robin Trower. That's what I'm doing tight now...and thank you for that inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9cy3Me0hk

Full house at the Grammy's. Kind of. Except for all the empty seats. And the awkward mostly silence.

Being a Rush fan during the 80s meant I learned early on to ignore all awards shows since they really didn't acknowledge talent or musicianship; I suppose they awarded only popularity or those who have some sort of in with the judges. So I am impressed that a relative underground metal band (Ghost) was nominated, let alone won, against much bigger names (Lamb of God, Sevendust, Slipknot; I hadn't heard of August Burns Red before this). I'd like to think the crowd's reaction was them being stunned, and maybe a little afraid of the Ghost guys! And I like how Papa's speech was nice and concise.

• Like 2

Great, melodic tune that they won for. Really twisted if some of the folks in the audience couldn't get past their being spooked by a few hallowe'en costumes and realize that the music being piped through the hall was pretty damned good (no pun intended). People haven't figured out yet that rock musicians are entertainers?
  • Like 1

Great, melodic tune that they won for. Really twisted if some of the folks in the audience couldn't get past their being spooked by a few hallowe'en costumes and realize that the music being piped through the hall was pretty damned good (no pun intended). People haven't figured out yet that rock musicians are entertainers?

I'm one of those people who judge bands based on how they look.

I think they pull off the costumes really well and adds to the image of the band. It adds interest. To me it looks like they care for their appearance (regardless of what that appearance is). In general I'm really impressed and I'm going to try getting my hands on some of their albums as well.

I'm excited for Ghost. It seems like a lot of people like them.

• Like 3

Also I know Digital Dad isn't frequenting this thread anymore, but here are some reasons I liked Meliora:

-the vocals don't hurt my ears

-the vocals are actually really quite sexy to my ears

-it's a palatable record. call it anemic if you'd like, but i don't like any type of "extreme" music, and i find that ghost pull off the doom metal, heavy metal aspect very cleanly and enjoyably, which makes it an album i don't have to convince myself to like, i just like it.

-production is dynamic and the instrumentation is clean

Regardless of whether you dislike the style, it's a competent record, and it's easy to see why it'd be well-liked, even within a genre that prides itself on being inaccessible to the average listener. I can see Ghost being a gateway band to Lamb of God, Sevendust, etc as opposed to just being immediately barraged with those bands straight on and being like "ugh no thank you", as I did when I was first introduced to them.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 7

I think they pull off the costumes really well and adds to the image of the band. It adds interest. To me it looks like they care for their appearance (regardless of what that appearance is). In general I'm really impressed and I'm going to try getting my hands on some of their albums as well.

Give their new album Meliora a try. If that doesn't do anything for you then don't bother with the other two. It is far and away the best thing they've done.

• Like 1

Wow! I'm excited that you are excited for GHOST!!!! You have excellent taste and I like you even more!

Signed,

Casper The Friendly Ghost

• Like 1

I love this thread just for the Day Of Light and Earl bonding!

Earl you are awesome.

Day Of Light likes Pavement. Awesome.

• Like 2

I love this thread just for the Day Of Light and Earl bonding!

Earl you are awesome.

Day Of Light likes Pavement. Awesome.

Hahaha! Thanks buddy! I love Pavement too!! "Brighten The Corners" is my favorite record by them! He mentions Geddy Lee on "Stereo" and hey, I lived on "Shady Lane" for 14 years in Walnut Creek when I was a kid!!

• Like 1

The only thing I have against Ghost's costumes is that prior to this thread I had heard of Ghost but didn't listen to them based on their looks--I just assumed they were another Swedish cookie monster band. Now I see that's all part of their image, the look and lyrics of ARRGH EVIL METAL DUDES, but the music and vocals that are melodic and musical.

Yay, Ghost!

• Like 2

The only thing I have against Ghost's costumes is that prior to this thread I had heard of Ghost but didn't listen to them based on their looks--I just assumed they were another Swedish cookie monster band. Now I see that's all part of their image, the look and lyrics of ARRGH EVIL METAL DUDES, but the music and vocals that are melodic and musical.

Yay, Ghost!

"Swedish Cookie Monster Band" - I like that! Can I be the bassist?