Rush song book!!

R2U1S1H2

Ok so cool I don't know how to add pictures so I'll do my best description.

I just recently purchased a used, RUSH complete song book. It is obviously wrong because well the put out a lot more albums after signals.

The song book is off all there albums up until signals, even includes a few songs from all the worlds a stage and exit stage left, it even includes a nice "history of RUSH" written by Neil!

Ok so, someone must have this book and I am just curious if they put some of the major riffs under the bass clef? I have only gone briefly through a couple of the songs and it seems that geddy is doing so much!

I was looking through Losing It and it doesn't have the little hammer ons, and geddy plays the keyboard the whole time according to the music notation.

A more specific example is in Xanadu it has the main riff played on the 12th fret but during the course it seems that it's written for bass but meant for guitar!

Now I'm no musical guru and am an amature at reading musical notation but it just seems off!

Is it just me or are there certain things I should watch and listen out for while using this book?

Any other problems you've found with this book would be cool to know now!

Thank you!

I know what book you are referring to. I have the Rush Complete Vol I and Rush Complete Vol II. Same thing as what you have but Vol 1 (the Old Testament) is Rush through Hemispheres and Vol II (The New Testament) is PeW through PoW. So, I get an extra couple albums.

Not sure about the riffs being on the bass vs treble part. I don't read music very well. I just rely on seeing the chords and taking it from there.

I know what book you are referring to. I have the Rush Complete Vol I and Rush Complete Vol II. Same thing as what you have but Vol 1 (the Old Testament) is Rush through Hemispheres and Vol II (The New Testament) is PeW through PoW. So, I get an extra couple albums.

Not sure about the riffs being on the bass vs treble part. I don't read music very well. I just rely on seeing the chords and taking it from there.

Have the two-volume set myself (Red and Blue). They must have stopped after that. That Neil essay was written around 1977 originally as a press release if I'm not mistaken.

If you can, photograph and post a couple of pages - maybe from Xanadu. I'm sure some of the serious musicians on here will be able to tell you if it seems accurate.

Ya it has treble clef and then treble with bass clef all in piano but it also give the chords and you should be able to transpose to guitar and make tab. It's a long process. But fun for the rush songs I love
  • Like 1

So it turns out, that the guitar can be written in the bass and treble clef, so that's what I found out from my guitar teacher Edited by R2U1S1H2

Most published rock music books are not exactly transcribed as the musicians played them, but a general push in the right direction. If you are a budding guitarist, you have to learn that there are many different ways to play the same chords and scales all over the neck.

I recommend getting "Fretboard Logic SE The Reasoning Behind The Guitar's Unique Tuning + Chords Scales and Arpeggios Complete"

ISBN 0-9624770-6-0

:)

So it turns out, that the guitar can be written in the bass and treble clef, so that's what I found out from my guitar teacher

Exactly what I was going to say. Bass Clef doesn't equal Bass guitar. There are notes played on the bass that would be properly written on the treble clef.

I learned to play guitar with one of those books. They are only good for the basic chords of the song as I recall. No solos or very few, and not even close to the proper chord voicings Alex uses.