Stage Equipment Question

Lorraine

Alex has a set of effects pedals and things that change his guitar sound in a split second. He also has a midi bass pedal interface that allows him to trigger samples and synth sounds...

Geddy just has two sets of the latter part of my previous description.

Here's a video with a better view from the Time Machine Tour

Edited by pfrushfan0122
  • Like 1

And what's that little thing sliding across the stage on rollers in front of them?

That's just a dolly that has a stage camera on it that projects them up on the huge screens... I'd answer the other question too, but I dont know what type of specifics you're looking for

• Like 1

Here's a view from the S&A tour. Its pretty basic...A volume pedal that helps with the intro to Xanadu for example. A wah pedal that mainly gets used during some solos...Like at the end of TSOR. The rest is a unit to change different other effects through his amp rack. It basically just puts a bunch of pedals in one box...so if he wanted a certain distortion or delay added to his guitar tone, he just switches all that from the stage while Scotty takes care of the rest. Then you have the synth pedals used for sounds that Ged is too busy to play. Though its an old photo, his stage gear really hasnt changed much aside from eliminating on-stage amp cabinets. As for the thing infront of the stage. Thats a camera....one that will get up to some pretty incredible speed I might add

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Alexpedals1.jpg

• Like 1

I couldn't hear any difference in his guitar sound when he hit the pedal. I've been watching him intently now for almost two hours.

How does it change the sound?

What songs were you watching him play? It might be easier for someone to know what the pedals are used for if they knew what songs he was doing them on.

• Like 1

I was watching the R40 Philly show, that video bootleg from Tapehead (he ought to get an Academy Award for Best R40 Bootleg Video :yes: ).

I figured it had to do with Alex's guitar sound, but I honestly couldn't hear any difference in the sound of his guitar when hit foot his one of the pedals or knobs or whatever they are.

Edited by Lorraine

I was watching the R40 Philly show, that video bootleg from Tapehead (he ought to get an Academy Award for Best R40 Bootleg Video :yes: ).

I figured it had to do with Alex's guitar sound, but I honestly couldn't hear any difference in the sound of his guitar when hit foot his one of the pedals or knobs or whatever they are.

If you're talking about tapehead2 (aka tapeheadtoo) I might add that she's a lady. ;)

If you're talking about tapehead2 (aka tapeheadtoo) I might add that she's a lady. ;)

I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. Then SHE should get an Academy Award.

• Like 2

:popcorn: ...

Narps, don't you know? :popcorn:

Heck no. I just listen to the music and watch. The details never really interested me... :)
  • Like 1

What's that thing at Alex's feet on stage and what does it do and why is the one at his feet ten times more complicated looking than the one at Geddy's feet?

Thank you for answering me.

:)

It a digital drink menu for all Ritz Carlton's. :drool:

No it's more scientific than that, sound + Time - something = Guitar

What's that thing at Alex's feet on stage and what does it do and why is the one at his feet ten times more complicated looking than the one at Geddy's feet?

Thank you for answering me.

:)

It a digital drink menu for all Ritz Carlton's. :drool:

No it's more scientific than that, sound + Time - something = Guitar

Speaking of the Ritz Carlton, any new escapades to add to your little sidebar of interests?

• Like 1

depending on the song, he may have been triggering a synth or other sound effect, the "subdivisions" effect being an example.

depending on the song, he may have been triggering a synth or other sound effect, the "subdivisions" effect being an example.

What do you mean by "'subdivisions' effect"?

His modified voice?

His modified voice?

Alex?

His modified voice?

Alex?

Did you see the post above?

Here's a guitar example. Think of the song Time and motion. Starting around 3:00, Alex switches between a heavy distorted power chord and a soft clean series of notes. He can instantly change the sound of his guitar using those pedals...or foot-activated switches.

• Like 1

His modified voice?

Alex?

Here's a guitar example. Think of the song Time and motion. Starting around 3:00, Alex switches between a heavy distorted power chord and a soft clean series of notes. He can instantly change the sound of his guitar using those pedals...or foot-activated switches.

Yes, I saw the other post, but I always thought in concert it was Alex singing that because it was sung so poorly :LOL: He gets up so close to the mic, you can barely hear it anyway. :LOL:

But, back to his guitar....what did Alex do before he had these knobs at his feet to effect these guitar changes?

His modified voice?

Alex?

Yes, I saw the other post, but I always thought in concert it was Alex singing that because it was sung so poorly :LOL: He gets up so close to the mic, you can barely hear it anyway. :LOL:

But, back to his guitar....what did Alex do before he had these knobs at his feet to effect these guitar changes?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6p9j1aDE31rz9puko1_500.jpg

Bottom left. They were less complicated, perhaps. Simply put, you can't change the effect without changing the effect.

Edited by goose