A very difficult forum post I have to make.

JohnRogers

Really only twenty minutes??? I can do that.

If you loved Goodnight Moon and If You Give A Mouse a Cookie, this book is for you (though there are a few more Rush references awkwardly thrown in.)

It is a silly concept on the fifth grade reading level.. But, I'm sure it could make the top 10 Scholastic books of the month. (#8 perhaps)
  • Like 1

If you loved Goodnight Moon and If You Give A Mouse a Cookie, this book is for you (though there are a few more Rush references awkwardly thrown in.)

It is a silly concept on the fifth grade reading level.. But, I'm sure it could make the top 10 Scholastic books of the month. (#8 perhaps)

I think I was a page or two in before I started making faces at all of the corny song references. I have to say this is one of the worst sci-fi books that I have ever read. I would have stopped reading after the first few pages except I wanted to see if it ever developed into anything. Unfortunately it didn't. Owen Hardy is such a bland personality that you just want to slap him. :LOL:

• Like 2

Eggplant's song analysis is quite close to the book's plot. Though I think the Wreckers were used for a different purpose, but for the album, that story makes more sense

I haven't read the book, so I can't be sure. Carnies is about him being in awe at everything in the city, and he meets the girl after he goes to a carnival so I don't think Carnies and Halo Effect should be swapped. I can see what you mean about BU2B2 and Headlong Flight, but I think they work as they are too.

I think I was a page or two in before I started making faces at all of the corny song references. I have to say this is one of the worst sci-fi books that I have ever read. I would have stopped reading after the first few pages except I wanted to see if it ever developed into anything. Unfortunately it didn't. Owen Hardy is such a bland personality that you just want to slap him. :LOL:

I kept hoping he'd get eaten by a zombie.

No wait, that wasn't Owen Hardy, that was Carl on The Walking Dead.

Hmm, either one eaten by a Zombie would be fine.

• Like 1

I know this topic is a little old, but I thought I'd go through this song by song seeing as this is my favorite album:

Caravan is about a young man who leaves his boring country life for an adventure in the city

BU2B is about that man starting to question his belief in the watchmaker's omnipotence

Clockwork Angels is about him arriving in the city and admiring the Clockwork Angels, mechanical flying machines that grant wishes and prayers on the people below

The Anarchist is introducing a character who's known as, well, "The Anarchist". This character has rebelled against The Watchmaker and is a known terrorist in the lands governed by said watchmaker. His whole life he's been silenced and not allowed to speak against the watchmaker and so he's angry.

Carnies is about the original protagonist entering the city and being in awe at all the sights and sounds around him

Halo Effect is about the protagonist falling in love with a performer at a carnival, trying to project his idea of a perfect soulmate on her, and then being rejected by her and realizing he had been projecting an idea of what he wanted to see on her that wasn't actually there.

In Seven Cities of Gold, the protagonist journeys out across the Western Sea to a wilderness that according to legend has seven cities of gold. He gets wrapped up in exploring this new country and almost freezes to death in the night.

In The Wreckers he is saved by the crewmen on the ship he took to explore the wilderness in the previous song, and taken back aboard their ship to return to the city. There is a storm as they're sailing and they get lost. Suddenly they see a light and decide to go towards it only to find that it was a trap laid by a gang of thieves. The thieves boarded the ship, threw the crew overboard, then took off with everything of value. The protagonist is the only survivor.

In Headlong Flight, the protagonist manages to catch a ship back to the city. As he is going back he reflects on his journey and the terrible things that happens and decides that it was all worth it, and that he wishes he could live it all again.

Upon further reflection, his tragedies cause him to lose faith that The Watchmaker really is watching over everyone and taking care of them in the song BU2B2.

In Wish Them Well, the protagonist feels anger over the lies he's been told and decides that it's best to just ignore those people and wish them well.

The Garden concludes the journey, with the protagonist settling down and thinking about the garden of life, where one must plant and tenderly care for seeds of love and respect.

The way I wrote it is a touch sappy and quite poorly written, but it should give you the story for the most part.

Great "Cliff Notes" version of the story!

It was jarring every time I ran across a lyric that Anderson crowbarred into the text. What I can't understand is why Neil gives him the time of day, given his intelligence and the far more sophisticated books he's read.

• Like 2