A very difficult forum post I have to make.

JohnRogers

It's aboot kickin' ass my friend...and lots of it!

Ooh, I have to tell you, after the R40 tour, I'm all about The Anarchist! :haz:

Yeah, it's a major entry into the canon.

One of the best things they've written in forever. Easily cracks my top 10 songs by Rush with Clockwork Angels.

• Like 6

It's aboot kickin' ass my friend...and lots of it!

Ooh, I have to tell you, after the R40 tour, I'm all about The Anarchist! :haz:

Yeah, it's a major entry into the canon.

One of the best things they've written in forever. Easily cracks my top 10 songs by Rush with Clockwork Angels.

And to think Headlong Flight is in there too...that song is the total package...it is Rush.

• Like 5

The songs on the album are not meant to be a linear story. Thats what the book is for. Its basically about a guy who runs away from home to the big city. Along the way he run into some situations that shake what he has been brought up to believe. But by the end, he would live it all again.

This readers digest version is enough for me. But then again I just listen to the guitar parts.

It's basically The Wizard of Oz retold...

And not only that, but if you listen to Clockwork Angels concurrent with the Floyd's Dark Side it sounds like little men playing Bastille Day on an endless loop until the final note of The Garden when a blood-curdling scream reveals that you were listening to Love Rollercoaster the whole time.

• Like 2

It's basically The Wizard of Oz retold...

And not only that, but if you listen to Clockwork Angels concurrent with the Floyd's Dark Side it sounds like little men playing Bastille Day on an endless loop until the final note of The Garden when a blood-curdling scream reveals that you were listening to Love Rollercoaster the whole time.

True. If you time it just right, you will see the munchkins singing, "Wish them well!" in their high-pitched voices at the perfect moment while the record is playing.

• Like 5

If you start Clockwork Angels at the same time you roll the film Wizard of Oz, you will realize quickly that if you turn the stereo off,

the movie makes more sense.

• Like 3

If you start Clockwork Angels at the same time you roll the film Wizard of Oz, you will realize quickly that if you turn the stereo off,

That's no fun.

Several minutes into the album and flick, the line "as if to fly" syncs up perfectly when the house is torn from the ground by the twister. Later, "a face of naked evil" lines up exactly when the witch scowls at Glinda. Soon after, Glinda floats away as "a goddess, with wings on her heels" plays in the background. Actually though, I didn't play the DVD along with CA. I just sat on the couch with a joint & hunk of brownies and imagined what might happen if i weren't too stoned and lazy to grab the remote and press "play".

• Like 4

New spam thread?

Thanks pal. I think it's pretty brave of me to admit I don't understand Clockwork Angels on a forum of RUSH snobs.

K now it's a troll thread lol

One time I watched Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas high on vicodin and simultaneously listened to an unrelated imaginary soundtrack while the movie played.

I remember absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

I have something serious to admit to the entire forum.

I have no freaking clue what Clockwork Angels is aboot. I listened to the entire album, songs in order maybe twice back when the album was released. Now I skipp a few songs. So I never figured out the story. Is Tom Sawyer the main character or the naked dude from 2112??? Is the album a sequel?

It's about the rebirth of a great band after 27 years in the wilderness.

It is certainly the best album they've made since the 1980s. I won't say which album from the '80s, but...yes.

And I don't follow the story, really. I just love the sound.

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels is about the journey of a free thinker in a world controlled by an anarchist and his legion of angels. It's about questioning authority. It's about overcoming adversity. And, as TM said before, most importantly, it's about kicking a**, and lots of it.
  • Like 2

One time I watched Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas high on vicodin and simultaneously listened to an unrelated imaginary soundtrack while the movie played.

I remember absolutely nothing.

I once made the gravely stupid stupid mistake of watching "The Fly" while I had the stomach flu.

Let's just say, Have never and WILL never see how that film ended.

Plus Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum can suck it!!

I know this topic is a little old, but I thought I'd go through this song by song seeing as this is my favorite album:

Caravan is about a young man who leaves his boring country life for an adventure in the city

BU2B is about that man starting to question his belief in the watchmaker's omnipotence

Clockwork Angels is about him arriving in the city and admiring the Clockwork Angels, mechanical flying machines that grant wishes and prayers on the people below

The Anarchist is introducing a character who's known as, well, "The Anarchist". This character has rebelled against The Watchmaker and is a known terrorist in the lands governed by said watchmaker. His whole life he's been silenced and not allowed to speak against the watchmaker and so he's angry.

Carnies is about the original protagonist entering the city and being in awe at all the sights and sounds around him

Halo Effect is about the protagonist falling in love with a performer at a carnival, trying to project his idea of a perfect soulmate on her, and then being rejected by her and realizing he had been projecting an idea of what he wanted to see on her that wasn't actually there.

In Seven Cities of Gold, the protagonist journeys out across the Western Sea to a wilderness that according to legend has seven cities of gold. He gets wrapped up in exploring this new country and almost freezes to death in the night.

In The Wreckers he is saved by the crewmen on the ship he took to explore the wilderness in the previous song, and taken back aboard their ship to return to the city. There is a storm as they're sailing and they get lost. Suddenly they see a light and decide to go towards it only to find that it was a trap laid by a gang of thieves. The thieves boarded the ship, threw the crew overboard, then took off with everything of value. The protagonist is the only survivor.

In Headlong Flight, the protagonist manages to catch a ship back to the city. As he is going back he reflects on his journey and the terrible things that happens and decides that it was all worth it, and that he wishes he could live it all again.

Upon further reflection, his tragedies cause him to lose faith that The Watchmaker really is watching over everyone and taking care of them in the song BU2B2.

In Wish Them Well, the protagonist feels anger over the lies he's been told and decides that it's best to just ignore those people and wish them well.

The Garden concludes the journey, with the protagonist settling down and thinking about the garden of life, where one must plant and tenderly care for seeds of love and respect.

The way I wrote it is a touch sappy and quite poorly written, but it should give you the story for the most part.

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 3

Clockwork Angels is about the journey of a free thinker in a world controlled by an anarchist and his legion of angels. It's about questioning authority. It's about overcoming adversity. And, as TM said before, most importantly, it's about kicking a**, and lots of it.

:blush:
  • Like 2