Who was at the Molson Amphitheater June 30, 1997?

Lorraine

I wasn't at this show but I was at the second one on July 2nd. It was the same set both nights so does my experience count?

Yes, I didn't know they played more than one night.

Is that video the entire show or is some of it left out? The show is only a little over an hour, and that's odd for Rush to only play that short time.

That video is definitely edited. They played a full show both nights. The band was great as always but it was the most dead crowd I had ever been part of at a rock concert. They stood up and cheered when the band came on and left the stage and for the big hits. Then they would sit down and act like they would rather be anywhere else.

Lame ass Canadians.

Bullshit,yankee doodle!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

I wasn't at this show but I was at the second one on July 2nd. It was the same set both nights so does my experience count?

Is that video the entire show or is some of it left out? The show is only a little over an hour, and that's odd for Rush to only play that short time.

That video is definitely edited. They played a full show both nights. The band was great as always but it was the most dead crowd I had ever been part of at a rock concert. They stood up and cheered when the band came on and left the stage and for the big hits. Then they would sit down and act like they would rather be anywhere else.

Lame ass Canadians.

Bullshit,yankee doodle!!!!!!!

Nope, no bullshit.

The audience was lame as hell that night. Never have I seen such a despicable display by a crowd at a rock concert. I went to the second show at the ACC on R40 and that was much better. You guys redeemed yourselves a bit at that show ;)

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Nope, I was only 40-something days old :P

You still would have had more life than that crowd did :LOL:

Just to clarify, i've been to plenty of shows in Toronto where the crowd was great. But for some reason they were just dead at that July 2nd show. Maybe everyone just partied too much before the show and had nothing left once Rush hit the stage.

I was at the Montreal show two days earlier and at the Toronto show on June 30. Didn't have good seats for either. The Montreal show had the worst sound at any Rush show I have been to and the Toronto show had the best sound I had heard since the Signals tour.

Lame ass Canadians.

In Vegas I sat in the upper bowl, and this was my experience. I actually had the lady behind me ask me routinely to sit down so she could see. They stood up for the very beginning and Tom Sawyer.

I still had a good time, but it was nothing like being on the floor.

If I had been in the upper bowl of an arena then I would have been fine with sitting. But when everyone in the seats at an amphitheater is sitting down, something isn't right. I have never been to an amphitheater show where the entire seating area sat down for the headliner before that or since then.

I enjoyed the show as best I could but the crowd showing that kind of disrespect to Rush in their hometown was something that pissed me off to no end. I was so turned off by this that I didn't go to another seated show in Toronto until I saw Dream Theater at Massey Hall last year.

I find yelling and not listening to the music disrespectful. I cheer at times, for solos and between songs, but I like to sit, and a band owes a paying audience a good show. Lack of standing is not disrespect.

• Like 1

Lame ass Canadians.

In Vegas I sat in the upper bowl, and this was my experience. I actually had the lady behind me ask me routinely to sit down so she could see. They stood up for the very beginning and Tom Sawyer.

I still had a good time, but it was nothing like being on the floor.

If I had been in the upper bowl of an arena then I would have been fine with sitting. But when everyone in the seats at an amphitheater is sitting down, something isn't right. I have never been to an amphitheater show where the entire seating area sat down for the headliner before that or since then.

I enjoyed the show as best I could but the crowd showing that kind of disrespect to Rush in their hometown was something that pissed me off to no end. I was so turned off by this that I didn't go to another seated show in Toronto until I saw Dream Theater at Massey Hall last year.

I find yelling and not listening to the music disrespectful. I cheer at times, for solos and between songs, but I like to sit, and a band owes a paying audience a good show. Lack of standing is not disrespect.

Well, I never said people needed to be yelling things all the time, that wasn't my complaint. At least act like you're into the show and want to be there is all i'm saying. I've heard the arguments before, people were being polite and watching, it's not a lack of respect to sit there and just watch, blah, blah, blah. It's a rock concert, if you're physically able to do so, get up off your ass.

I saw them play here the week before the Toronto show and the band played with more energy. The crowd being on their feet and into the whole show was probably a big part of that. A good crowd can really make the concert experience that much better. They were dead at that second Toronto show and it really ruined the show for me. It wouldn't ruin it for me today but that was the first rock show I ever went to where the whole venue was seated. It really threw me for a loop and everyone sitting down for a rock concert is just something I can't wrap my head around.

If I want to sit down and listen to music, I can do that anytime at home.

I watched another bootleg video today from the Signals tour filmed in Montreal. It was excellent sound but it was like going to a concert and finding out when you got there you left your glasses at home. It's a pity that Rush couldn't be clearly seen.

Geddy speaks French very well.

• Like 1

I watched another bootleg video today from the Signals tour filmed in Montreal. It was excellent sound but it was like going to a concert and finding out when you got there you left your glasses at home. It's a pity that Rush couldn't be clearly seen.

The only video so far from the Signals tour. Same guy did the Grace Under Pressure show from there too.

That show is also the first ever Rush audience shot video.

• Like 1

The only video so far from the Signals tour. Same guy did the Grace Under Pressure show from there too.

That show is also the first ever Rush audience shot video.

If it was only focused and clear it would almost be perfect.

The set list was something else. :)

Yep i was there :) I was 12 at the time.

I remember the show being flawless. I've seen fan-shot videos on youtube over the years, and thusly I dont think the set was very edited on the DVD. Rush back then were just able to easily churn out perfect shows back in those days. It wasn't until about Snakes and Arrows era that you could see age catching up to them.

I wasn't paying too close of attention to how the crowd was, but it was a very polarizing setlist (kind of a prelude to what the S&A tour and C/A tour became).

The crowd were completely dead to all of the newer material, yet erupted when they played Red Barchetta, Natural Science, and of course all of 2112.

I had just bought Test For Echo about 6 months earlier, and knew it start to finish. So i recall being the only person practically in the entire place air drumming to the T4E songs. Every single one of them :)

Edited by maxdistortion

Lame ass Canadians.

I've only seen the bonus tracks footage available online from the T4E shows. Animate, Resist, and Natural Science. I really need to see 2112 as I haven't bought the R40 set.

I was. It was my first Rush concert. July 2, 1997, was my second Rush concert. I still have both tickets.

I love the fact that I'm in the crowd (though I haven't spotted myself...yet) on officially released Rush material ("Resist" on Different Stages, "Closer To The Heart" 1997 Live video and the R40 boxed set Molson Amphitheatre footage).

Sadly, these were also the last shows Jackie & Selena attended, according to Neil in Roadshow, which explains why the planned Different Stage concert film of the Toronto dates was shelved.

• Like 1

I've only seen the bonus tracks footage available online from the T4E shows. Animate, Resist, and Natural Science. I really need to see 2112 as I haven't bought the R40 set.

2112 Live in Toronto, 1997

Part 1

https://www.youtube....h?v=0bT1n6AfwGg

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auBH174-Gn0

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by ALifeson85

I was only 3 at the time but my father was at both Toronto shows and also at the opening night show in Albany,NY. He said the first leg of the tour had a better setlist. The only change I know of was Dreamline being replaced by Limelight.

Limelight and Stick It Out replaced Big Money and Subdivisions on the 2nd Leg.

At the Albany show, Time and Motion was played before being dropped after a handful of performances.

I was only 3 at the time but my father was at both Toronto shows and also at the opening night show in Albany,NY. He said the first leg of the tour had a better setlist. The only change I know of was Dreamline being replaced by Limelight.

Limelight and Stick It Out replaced Big Money and Subdivisions on the 2nd Leg.

At the Albany show, Time and Motion was played before being dropped after a handful of performances.

Boy did that suck. Two favorite songs swapped out for two of my least favorite. Only saw them twice on that second leg.