Time and Motion

DirkPrattLerxst

Hey, I was on TNMS too!

Do you remember the build up in anticipation of the TFE release and the tour? It was pretty cool to "interact" with fans in that way for the first time. The e-mail list format also seemed to weed out some of the more casual trolls, spammers, etc. Everyone there seemed to be genuine fans and interested in conversing about the band. :codger: I made some good friends on that list - some to this day!

Of course, all that fun was crushed with the advent of BBS forums, etc. :P (I remember TNMS BBS and "Solar Federation") All sorts of trolls, spammers, blowhards, etc. Sort of like the majority of posts on certain other Rush forums today... ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, great times...I was graduating from college when I first joined TNMS, and remember all the excitement with T4E and the setlist of the tour that followed. I stopped posting and following by late 97/early 98, and by the time VT came out there was a different type of forum whose name I can't remember...
  • Like 1

I think T&M is a killer Rush tune and one of the better from that album (not hard to do IMO).

A little proggy, nice dynamics, cool lyrics and great playing.

As an aside: I cannot stand how Neil's drums sound on this album. Whether it's the mix of those coated heads I'm not sure but they sound awful.

• Like 2

I like this tune alot - and was lucky to see it opening night TFE tour and once thereafter.

There was so much excitement surrounding the release and tour - and many fans on the TNMS raved about the album at the time.

I remember it sounding amazing at the time. T4E was well produced. And as someone mentioned, there were great parts to songs, and those parts were exciting to hear, especially having waiting so long for new material. RUSH has a lot of material that seems timeless. Most of T4E's material doesn't seem to fit that description, though.

Time & Motion, for me, does.

• Like 1

Yeah, great times...I was graduating from college when I first joined TNMS, and remember all the excitement with T4E and the setlist of the tour that followed. I stopped posting and following by late 97/early 98, and by the time VT came out there was a different type of forum whose name I can't remember...

Did you ever go to By-Tor.com back in the day? That was my first RUSH site, I think, other than an AOL message board..

Time & Motion is my favorite tune from T4E. I was one of the lucky ones who saw them perform this one live for the short time that they did.

Never thought to search for a live video of it on Youtube though. Thanks goose. Also found their live rehearsal version of it too. Great recording. Great tune!

• Like 1

Anything that echoes with a loon...

Is alright by me...

Love T&M. I saw the TFE Tour 3 times. It was a great setlist.

It really was a tremendous show. For the record:

Set list[edit]

Leg one[edit]

(-Intermission-)

(-Encore-)

Leg two[edit]

• Intro (Thus Spoke Zarathustra)
  • "Dreamline"
  • "Limelight"
  • "Stick It Out"
  • "Driven"
  • "Half the World"
  • "Red Barchetta"
  • "Animate"
  • "Limbo"
  • "The Trees"
  • "Virtuality"
  • "Nobody's Hero"
  • "Closer to the Heart"
  • "2112" (complete)

(-Intermission-)

• "Test for Echo"
  • "Freewill"
  • "Red Sector A"
  • "Roll the Bones"
  • "Resist"
  • "Leave That Thing Alone"
  • "The Rhythm Method" (drum solo)
  • "Natural Science"
  • "Force Ten"
  • "The Spirit of Radio"
  • "Tom Sawyer"

(-Encore-)

• "YYZ"
  • "Cygnus X-1" (teaser)

• Like 1

Did you ever go to By-Tor.com back in the day? That was my first RUSH site, I think, other than an AOL message board..

I night have...what did it look like?

And looking at your other post with the setlist...they actually played Virtuality live???? I didn't know about that!

I night have...what did it look like?

And looking at your other post with the setlist...they actually played Virtuality live???? I didn't know about that!

Should you choose to watch, I apologize in advance.

• Like 1

Is alright by me...

Speaking of the loon - on Neil Peart's first instructional video (it was a video at the time - A work in Progress), during Time and Motion, there is a very loud loon call after that line in the song. I think somebody asked him about it in an interview or something and he said it was originally intended to be in the song, but got removed during the mixing process (maybe Ged didn't like it!)

The tour was stellar - I'm embarrassed to say how many shows I went to on it... (well, it was the first time I was able to travel to a bunch of shows - and I did!)

Is alright by me...

Speaking of the loon - on Neil Peart's first instructional video (it was a video at the time - A work in Progress), during Time and Motion, there is a very loud loon call after that line in the song. I think somebody asked him about it in an interview or something and he said it was originally intended to be in the song, but got removed during the mixing process (maybe Ged didn't like it!)

The tour was stellar - I'm embarrassed to say how many shows I went to on it... (well, it was the first time I was able to travel to a bunch of shows - and I did!)

I remember hearing that and loved it. They should have left it in the cd mix,

BTW, A Work in Progress makes listening to T4E a much better experience, IMO.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

agreed. absolute killer. the mighty ocean bit oh yeahh one of rush finest.

just to throw in, i love the bit in dog years too ' i'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos...'

great album never jades with time

• Like 2