Time and Motion

DirkPrattLerxst

I like the song a lot too. I was fortunate enough to see them do it on the T4E tour. They dropped it after the first couple weeks of the tour and never brought it back. Not sure why that happened? Maybe the set was running a little long?

I really like the song too. In particular how the synth part weaves in between the guitar parts in the main riff. What's amazing to me about this song is how they came up with the vocal line, which is really different than the main line being played below it.

It's good for that time period and era I suppose. Not a ringing endorsement I know but it's the best I got... :|

Killer tune. It's hard prog rock. Also love the "the mighty ocean dances with the moon" segment. Probably the best song on TFE.

Easily the best, for my tastes. I'm into lyrics, and these are some of Neil's most artful.

It's good for that time period and era I suppose. Not a ringing endorsement I know but it's the best I got... :|

The closest thing to a quirky AFTK/Hemi tune they had done in a long time. Alex is one fire, there's a range of emotion...
  • Like 3

Time And Motion is a cool song. But it does sound disjointed and a little thrown together.

As for Test For Echo in general, I don't dislike it but I don't really care for it. It's just so....bland. And Alex's guitar tone bothers me. The whole thing just sounds fuzzy and overdistorted compared to Counterparts before it. Geddy's bass doesn't really cut through the mix like it did in CPs either. It's a very middle of the road mostly forgettable effort. I liked it at first when it was new but it didn't age well at all to my ears

Edited by jnoble

Time And Motion is a cool song. But it does sound disjointed and a little thrown together.

i.e., classic RUSH! :LOL:

As for the sound, T4E is very clean in general. Time and Motion live is much heavier.

But it does sound disjointed and a little thrown together.

That is the appeal of this song IMO. The ups and downs are much more dramatic (and I do agree that Rush did do this sort of thing a bit more in the '70s).

• Like 1

But it does sound disjointed and a little thrown together.

That is the appeal of this song IMO. The ups and downs are much more dramatic (and I do agree that Rush did do this sort of thing a bit more in the '70s).

When I first heard it I thought they were influenced by Dream Theater (finally some reverse homage.)

Listened to T4E in full today. Time and Motion does stand out as one of the best tracks. But most of the songs in it have great moments while never fully delivering. I do have a soft spot for it - the first Rush album I bought upon release after being fully aware of their awesomeness - but understand why it's so criticized.
  • Like 2

Listened to T4E in full today. Time and Motion does stand out as one of the best tracks. But most of the songs in it have great moments while never fully delivering. I do have a soft spot for it - the first Rush album I bought upon release after being fully aware of their awesomeness - but understand why it's so criticized.

Some of it does seem rather tossed off and lyrically Neil is not at his best (read all of the 90's) but the songs good and the arrangemnts are really interesting. Seems like they are trying some new things and although not entirely successful one actually sees them getting outside their comfort zones a bit. Probably had something to do with recording Victor and the Buddy Rich stuff. In fact Alex has said as much. I love the album and play it more than most other Rush albums.

• Like 1

I like this tune alot - and was lucky to see it opening night TFE tour and once thereafter.

Like Rod in Rio, I have a soft spot for this album - but for me it was the first album release that I had participated in an online community (well, e-mail list: The National Midnight Star) and opening night for the tour was in my old hometown - so I went back and arranged a party for a bunch of people on the e-mail list. There was so much excitement surrounding the release and tour - and many fans on the TNMS raved about the album at the time. I too understand that it's not viewed as a high point for the band - but it's funny to go back and read interviews at that time - Alex, Ged, Neil - all of them said it was absolutely their best work to date. Of course, they always say that!; but I think they were sincere in that feeling. Obviously it hasn't aged well for them (possibly due to Neil's losses just after that stellar tour...) but I still think Driven, TFE, Half the World, T&M, Totem would kick ass live now. It was fun to see some of those songs on the '97 Molson show from the R40 collection. Driven and an Acoustic Resist are the only tunes to appear after the original tour. I think it would have been nice for it to be represented with one tune for R40 (probably Driven or TFE.) I guess they just weren't feeling it for the R40 celebration.

• Like 1