Where do you think Rush ranks as individuals on their instruments in rock history?

Rushman2112

I will take the easy one first:

Neil Peart #1 rock drummer of all time (and lyricist, but that's a different subject)

next, I'll do bass players:

#1 Stu Hamm (best bass solo I ever saw live)

#2 the late great Chris Squire (RIP)

#3 Geddy (vocals and keyboards I won't rank because there are too many other choices)

I'm sure I'm about to get flamed, but here it goes anyway (guitarists):

#1 John Petrucci (can play anything, fast or slow)

#2 Eric Johnson (like his style, and saw him warm up for Rush so I got a good comparison)

#3 Joe Satriani (a little too gimmicky at times, but still amazing)

#4 Yngwie Malmsteen (I admit he's a one trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick)

#5 Steve Vai (without "The Attitude Song" I wouldn't rank him this high)

#6 Eddie Van Halen (ignoring ego and his many other problems, "Eruption" changed the way people viewed what a guitar could do)

#7 Alex

It's not that Alex is any worse on his instrument than Neil or Geddy, there are just more guitarists out there that demand attention. I've seen all these people live and most multiple times. Just my thoughts.

-Ken

I don't know enough about the myriad of players out there to really make a judgement. I only know what I like and it's typically 70' based and very limited. As far as Squire goes I do enjoy his bass playing, style and tone over anyone I have ever heard... :codger:

There are too many great musicians out there to rank these guys. I think for what they do, they are at the top of their fields. Put any of these guys in a situation where they have to play a different genre of music, then we'd see how they do. That holds true for most of the "greats" out there, especially rock music.
  • Like 3

Sort of going along with the above post, it is hard to rank them when there are so many excellent musicians across different genres of music. For instance, I definitely feel that Neil ranks up there pretty high among rock drummers, but I wouldn't put Neil on the list of best jazz/swing drummers.

Neil is the greatest drummer of all time (and my favorite).

Ged is my favorite bassist of all time (and the best ever rock bassist).

Alex is an amazing and mind-bogglingly unique/creative guitarist with a heck of a sense of humbleness about his skill, however I wouldn't consider him the greatest guitarist in the world on any day, nor would I consider him my favorite of all time (that title would probably go to the absolutely unbelievable Brian May).

• Like 1

I'd say Neil and Geddy are definitely the best at what they do. It's harder with Alex because he does do great stuff but there are also so many who do do such great stuff. Also his guitar seems a bit understated in Rush sometimes. However I am still going to say he is the best because of his creativity and his technical skills. My knowledge of guitar players is quite limited though.

I'd say Neil and Geddy are definitely the best at what they do. It's harder with Alex because he does do great stuff but there are also so many who do do such great stuff. Also his guitar seems a bit understated in Rush sometimes. However I am still going to say he is the best because of his creativity and his technical skills. My knowledge of guitar players is quite limited though.

There seems to be a pattern in that "ranking" Neil and Geddy is easier than ranking Alex, and I think that's because Neil and Geddy are easily recognized in terms of style. Alex is incredibly talented and creative, but his style is more difficult to define. I think Alex's strength lies in composing as much in execution.
  • Like 3

Sort of going along with the above post, it is hard to rank them when there are so many excellent musicians across different genres of music. For instance, I definitely feel that Neil ranks up there pretty high among rock drummers, but I wouldn't put Neil on the list of best jazz/swing drummers.

That's why I specifically said in rock history.

• Like 2

There seems to be a pattern in that "ranking" Neil and Geddy is easier than ranking Alex, and I think that's because Neil and Geddy are easily recognized in terms of style. Alex is incredibly talented and creative, but his style is more difficult to define. I think Alex's strength lies in composing as much in execution.

Alex is one of the most ingenious hard rock songwriters ever. I know he shares most writing credits with Geddy, but after learning as much about the band as I have through self-directed research over the years, it's pretty easy to tell what kind of ideas would've probably been Ged's contribution and what kinds of ideas would've probably come from Lerxt's more spontaneous writing style.

• Like 1

There are too many great musicians out there to rank these guys. I think for what they do, they are at the top of their fields. Put any of these guys in a situation where they have to play a different genre of music, then we'd see how they do. That holds true for most of the "greats" out there, especially rock music.

:goodone:

That's why I specifically said in rock history.

Indeed. I was probably just going too fast and missed it. In any case, I think most people consider Neil as a top 3 rock drummer of all time.

Geddy is a top ten vocalist.

Peart is second as a drummer to Jeff Porcaro.

Alex is Alex.

• Like 1

Alex is one of the most ingenious hard rock songwriters ever. I know he shares most writing credits with Geddy, but after learning as much about the band as I have through self-directed research over the years, it's pretty easy to tell what kind of ideas would've probably been Ged's contribution and what kinds of ideas would've probably come from Lerxt's more spontaneous writing style.

Agreed. And :goodone:
  • Like 1

Indeed...... Ritchie Blackmore, for example. He was/is one the best rock guitarists, and he moved on to playing medieval folk rock, featuring acoustic guitar and other instruments. His talents are very diverse. How many of the top-ranked guitarists could succeed at what Blackmore has done?

• Like 1

It's ridiculous to say Neil is the #1 rock drummer of all time. He's one of my very favorites in terms of style, but there are absolutely "better" drummers out there in rock.
  • Like 1

It's ridiculous to say Neil is the #1 rock drummer of all time. He's one of my very favorites in terms of style, but there are absolutely "better" drummers out there in rock.

Who? My question isn't meant as a challenge. I'd like to know what rock drummers you think are better than Neil.

Edited by Lorraine

Who?

Yeah, this is where I get conflicted as well. I am a huge fan of Neil...I mean, that can't be overstated. No drummer has taught me more than Neil has - by far, period, end of story. But I wouldn't put him ahead of some of the great studio drummers like Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Vinne Colaiuta, etc. Steve Smith is another great example. I just like the tastefulness of their playing, and the fact that they are so versatile in that they can play with anyone for any type of music.

Now then, all of that said...Neil's presence and importance is still very significant. Neil is and was the right drummer for Rush, even ahead of those guys I listed above, for so many reasons. He did things for rock drumming that (in my opinion) no one had done up until that point. He truly carved his own path. For instance, I feel that Neil truly was a pioneer in the sense that he was also a percussionist - a bit of a lost art these days when it comes to rock drummers.

This is all just my opinion. The Rush fan in my wants to put Neil at the top, but the objective drummer in me is just astounded by the sheer ability of some of the other greats.

• Like 2