Street Preachers

Skin Bag

I wonder what the street preachers would say at a Manic Street Preachers concert? LOL!!

Sorry! I couldn't "RESIST!"

I'm afraid I simply can't NOT take this opportunity to promote my film! Rush is in it, you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1fQZk09HY

I watched that film not knowing much about The Manic Street Preachers. I loved it a(and enjoyed the Rush content). Since watching it a few months ago I have completely fallen in love with this great band. I now own almost all of their CDs and have watched your film a couple of times. Sadly I watched it over the interweb but I am keeping my eye out for the DVD and will buy it as soon as I find it.

Thanks a million

Hi, Humphrey! I see that you are in Australia, so if you want to order a DVD (which includes loads of bonus footage including the complete Rush interview), you would need to order through the international distributor at

http://nomanifestofilm.com. Thank you very much for the kind words!

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

Oh, and did you go to any of the meetups beforehand Robert? I had dinner at the Farmers Union with a table of new Rush friends which was lots of fun.

Hey, I was there at the Farmer's Union but I'm sorry I didn't see you. It wasn't the best place for a meetup because there was no big area for everyone to stand and mill about, and instead I saw people with Rush shirts scattered at different tables.

I think I saw the preacher people outside the show, but I don't remember for sure.

Wish I had met you there. I chatted a bit with "calirush" I believe he is a member of this forum. And that restaurant was nearly as hot as the one we met at in Seattle which surprised me. I guess restaurants consider air conditioning an unnecessary expense.

That DEVIL profile in the STARMAN is really there by the way. I am sure there is a thread written about it.

I'm guessing it's a right-facing profile formed by the lighter part of starmandude's back? And he has a l'il dimple?

YEP!!! BINGO!!! With a long pointed horn and a long pointed chin.

• Like 1

So it seems they are predominant in the Bay area. I have a theory - just a gut feeling, no real reason for it - that most of these extreme, hard-core fanatic street preachers have an extreme, hard-core back story that they are trying to overcome. Perhaps ex-alcoloholics, drug addicts, or convicts, they need to overcompensate in order to get through the day and so are actually "preaching" to themselves and doing it more for themselves than for others. I like to think that it is only a stage in their spiritual journey and they will develop a more loving approach to reflect what is in their hearts.

The following spoiler contains a teenage Catholic perspective on this thread. If you are concerned this point of view may upset you in some way, please feeel free to ignore it. However, it may be helpful to know I don't like the idea of street preachers outside of rock concerts condeming the music inside either.

All I can say is, this kind of music is much more often than not written from a pluralistic point of view, meaning it's intended to have whatever meaning and interpretation the listener wishes to find in it, no matter what it means to the artist or to anyone else, thus it cannot be the Devil's music, as it is fully possible to take it in a holy, righteous, or at least positive way. And in any other cases, no viewpoint is made stronger or wiser by avoiding contact with other viewpoints. In other words, even if this type of music were actually satanic (which it is not; heck, beyond the fact that the red star of the solar federation isn't a satanic symbol, it also happens to be the sybol of the EVIL ANTAGONIST in the story of 2112), with a positive, scholarly mindset, listening to such music could easily be made into an educational experience which could serve to strengthen a righteous viewpoint in many ways. In all other words, street preachers yelling outside of rock concerts have not thought through their idea of spreading God's Word to a very deep extent as far as this random poster can dicern. I suppose I could be wrong, but I see no evidence in that way.

There are always street preachers for lo, the end is nigh ... :sigh:

Ruled

Under

Satan's

Hand

Red pentagram is clearly satanic (... er, but it's right side up so it's more pentacle than pentagram :unsure: ... shhh... ) plus the naked guy on Hemispheres :tsk:

I remember some religion channel in the '80s. I can't recall the name of the preacher and his wife, but she sure wore a lot of mascara (as all of the 80s preacher ladies did - it wasn't Tammy Faye who, it turns out, was a genuinely good person, may she rest in peace).

Knights In Satan's Service (they wore scary makeup), Styx was named for the river in the underworld which is bad, Alice Cooper obviously for being dead, Kansas (for some reason), and the usual Black Sabbath lambasting.

Ironically, as I've started the listening to Sabbath in depth, I've come to the conclusion that they were actually a Christian rock band :eh: The greatest ever.

One of my favourite Sabbath songs. :haz:

http://youtu.be/X9ldb4r7vP0

Edited by CygnusGal

I wonder what the street preachers would say at a Manic Street Preachers concert? LOL!!

I'm afraid I simply can't NOT take this opportunity to promote my film! Rush is in it, you know.

I watched that film not knowing much about The Manic Street Preachers. I loved it a(and enjoyed the Rush content). Since watching it a few months ago I have completely fallen in love with this great band. I now own almost all of their CDs and have watched your film a couple of times. Sadly I watched it over the interweb but I am keeping my eye out for the DVD and will buy it as soon as I find it.

Thanks a million

Hi, Humphrey! I see that you are in Australia, so if you want to order a DVD (which includes loads of bonus footage including the complete Rush interview), you would need to order through the international distributor at

Thanks GM. A nice shiny bluray is now on it's way down under! Can't wait to watch the extras.

Ruled

Under

Satan's

Hand

Red pentagram is clearly satanic (... er, but it's right side up so it's more pentacle than pentagram :unsure: ... shhh... ) plus the naked guy on Hemispheres :tsk:

I remember some religion channel in the '80s. I can't recall the name of the preacher and his wife, but she sure wore a lot of mascara (as all of the 80s preacher ladies did - it wasn't Tammy Faye who, it turns out, was a genuinely good person, may she rest in peace).

Knights In Satan's Service (they wore scary makeup), Styx was named for the river in the underworld which is bad, Alice Cooper obviously for being dead, Kansas (for some reason), and the usual Black Sabbath lambasting.

Ironically, as I've started the listening to Sabbath in depth, I've come to the conclusion that they were actually a Christian rock band :eh: The greatest ever.

Why would you consider Sabbath a Christian rock band?

Just curious, never heard this view before!

Thanks a million

Thanks GM. A nice shiny bluray is now on it's way down under! Can't wait to watch the extras.

Awesome, thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it :D

Ruled

Under

Satan's

Hand

Sabbath didn't sing about worshiping Satan (even in NIB, Geezer says it was about even Lucifer can become a better man through the love of a woman). They dressed in black, wore crosses, had long hair, used freaky photographic effects and mentioned God and Lucifer in their songs, so the religious folks went nuts.

As an example, I'll quote the lyrics to After Forever. There are other examples. This is not "devil music". Geezer Butler was raised Irish Catholic, played around with the devil stuff for a while and as he has stated "... I gave up all that stuff. It scared me sh*tless." Sabbath's music isn't a call to Satan. This song is the exact opposite. It is calling out all of the non-believers.

Lyrics by Terry "Geezer" Butler

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?

Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave

Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?

Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?

Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?

Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways

And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say

If they knew you believe in God above?

They should realize before they criticize

that God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall

In with the pack wherever they run

Will you still sneer when death is near

And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ

I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced

Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?

You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone

Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one

The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate

Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late.

• Like 1

Sabbath was never a christian band but they were never a satanic one either. They did mainly focus on darker song topics, usually christian rock is more positive in its messages. I will say though that After Forever was probably among the first ever christian rock/metal songs ever done. I grew up catholic and have been a huge Sabbath fan most of my life and i've never really seen them as being a christian band. There were too many darker themed songs for that to be the case. They certainly did some things to help influence the christian metal genre though. The song After Forever is definitely one of them. Edited by J2112YYZ

what's weird is that these guys go after the safest, whitest, oldest rock groups! you never see people like this at shows for smaller bands that actually have satanic lyrics (which are always meant to be campy anyway). but they've got their megaphones ready for the motley crue show - like, dude, you're worried some kid's gonna find his old man's cassette of girls, girls, girls and start sacrificing lambs? Edited by bathory
  • Like 1

Ruled

Under

Satan's

Hand

it's right there in the lyrics. they're not a "christian rock" band, but they preached the wrath of god more sensibly than the people who were busy burning their albums and ignoring their lyrics.

• Like 1

Ruled

Under

Satan's

Hand

it's right there in the lyrics. they're not a "christian rock" band, but they preached the wrath of god more sensibly than the people who were busy burning their albums and ignoring their lyrics.

:goodone:

It is ironic. Not "Christian Rock", per se, but much more than any other band I listen to.

Definitely more than Neil...

Edited by CygnusGal