Has "Subdivisions" reached "Tom Sawyer" status?

Xanadu

Not deep subject matter here, just purely curious about this.

It's always been said that TS must be played; the band would never skip playing it live because it's their signature song and people expect it. Do you think the same can be said now about Subdivisions? (Or even TSOR, for that matter?)

If the band never plays again, it's a moot point. But I just wanted to hear some opinions on this.

It's always been said that TS must be played; the band would never skip playing it live because it's their signature song and people expect it. Do you think the same can be said now about Subdivisions? (Or even TSOR, for that matter?)

If the band never plays again, it's a moot point. But I just wanted to hear some opinions on this.

Are you high?

• Like 2

Are you high?

Yes. I'm high on life. :)

• Like 1

Are you high?

Tom Sawyer gets high on you, and then he plays Space Invaders. Subdivisions has a nerdy kid playing Tempest.

Therefore Tom Sawyer > Subdivisions.

• Like 1

Are you high?

Tom Sawyer gets high on you, and then he plays Space Invaders. Subdivisions has a nerdy kid playing Tempest.

Well, Space Invaders > Tempest. So you may be onto something there. :)

• Like 1

Are you high?

oh man, what's that futurama line..."just me and my all-rush mix tape!" or something?

• Like 1

Are you high?

oh man, what's that futurama line..."just me and my all-rush mix tape!" or something?

Wasn't he playing Asteroids?

• Like 1

I think it's important to point out that, as a whole, Subdivisions is in a lower register for Geddy than Tom Sawyer. I bet this has been a major reason why it hasn't been skipped live in a long time - it's a major hit, and it happens to be easier on Ged.
  • Like 1

Not in my view. Tom Sawyer is the only sure fire, lock it down...live song. THE signature song.

I've never heard Subdivisions on the radio. I've heard TS a million times of course, and Limelight/TSOR/Freewill plenty. Subdivisions feels like a deep cut in comparison...no matter how much I like the song or if it makes most set lists.

One of the band's greatest achievements. Always one of the highlights of a concert. In some ways, for me at least, it is more the song I'd point to as the archetypal Rush song. Alex's melodic playing on show, Neil's razor sharp timing, Geddy's bass and keyboards on full show. And it's just such a tight song.