Rush doing a residency at MSG? Way to tease us Alex

furie

http://www.q1043.com/onair/maria-milito-1145/rush-has-no-plans-of-breaking-13835554/

Residency may be the future of Rush, but not in the typical Las Vegas fashion.

"Ten shows at Madison Square Garden, well, that’s a little different,” he said. “And you bring people in from all over the country. I’m not saying that’s something we will do, but that is an option, or it is something that you could put together instead of doing a major tour, and bring people to the venue.”

http://www.q1043.com...aking-13835554/

Residency may be the future of Rush, but not in the typical Las Vegas fashion.

"Ten shows at Madison Square Garden, well, that’s a little different,” he said. “And you bring people in from all over the country. I’m not saying that’s something we will do, but that is an option, or it is something that you could put together instead of doing a major tour, and bring people to the venue.”

Damn!

I love The Michael Schenker Group!!

They are opening for RUSH???????

Signed,

"INTO THE ARENA"

• Like 2

Well I gather I'll take up residency at my sisters in NJ. I would go to at least 5 of those 10 shows.

IF Rush do decided to do a 'residency' showcase as it were, then I would hope they come to the U.K. as we didn't get to see R40.

Still hoping against hope they manage to convince Neil to do a few shows for R40 in Europe, but I know that's probably never going to happen. :(

IF Rush do decided to do a 'residency' showcase as it were, then I would hope they come to the U.K. as we didn't get to see R40.

Still hoping against hope they manage to convince Neil to do a few shows for R40 in Europe, but I know that's probably never going to happen. :(

Can't imagine them doing a residency in Europe. IF one's done at all I'm thinking it'd be in North America.

A residency at MSG will never happen. They're not Billy Joel or Springsteen.

And Neil doesn't live in NY. I think they'd be more likely to do a residency in LA where he does. But who really knows?

I don't see the residency thing ever happening, for several reasons:

1.) this is a band that rehearses for weeks before a tour. They rehearse to rehearse. I don't see them practicing for weeks to do 6-12 shows. Rush is not a band that just gets together to jam.

2.) The crew is being released. They are not going to be just hanging around waiting for Rush to do less than a dozen shows. Thus, they will not get the techs that they have reliably had - some for 40 years. They're not going to train new techs for just a few shows.

3.) Based on the public records released after Alex's countersuit in the Naples affair, putting on a show costs a shitload of money to produce. Tons of equipment is rented (lights & sound). Road crew, insurance, etc adds. There is a tremendous up front cost - which they recoup by playing lots of shows (apparently 35 on R40 was enough) - since they won't tour again, a residency would only make money if the ticket prices were astronomical. Then you've got the million dollar question of the business model - how many tickets could Rush sell for multiple shows at one location? For myself, as a hardcore, but not financially unlimited, fan who does travel to see shows - for crazy high prices ($225-$250?) I might be tempted to do a show or two in New York, but there's no way I could personally justify doing 5 shows at those prices (I didn't on R40.) While there may be some hardcore fans that have more disposable income, I could be surprised, but I don't see them filling a huge hall in one location at crazy high prices for multiple shows. Financially I don't see it working

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1

Well I have to think if they are no longer doing tours of the R40 magnitude, then that means they would be scaling back considerably on costs. Forget the big video production, the fireworks and massive light and laser shows, etc.

I tend to think most of us would be happy to see those 3 guys just jamming on stage without all the excess extravagance.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 4

Well I have to think if they are no longer doing tours of the R40 magnitude, then that means they would be scaling back considerably on costs. Forget the big video production, the fireworks and massive light and laser shows, etc.

I tend to think most of us would be happy to see those 3 guys just jamming on stage without all the excess extravagance.

I know I would.

• Like 3

I go to the shows to see the band, not to see the other stuff (although the other stuff sure is pretty!).

• Like 2

I don't see the residency thing ever happening, for several reasons:

1.) this is a band that rehearses for weeks before a tour. They rehearse to rehearse. I don't see them practicing for weeks to do 6-12 shows. Rush is not a band that just gets together to jam.

2.) The crew is being released. They are not going to be just hanging around waiting for Rush to do less than a dozen shows. Thus, they will not get the techs that they have reliably had - some for 40 years. They're not going to train new techs for just a few shows.

3.) Based on the public records released after Alex's countersuit in the Naples affair, putting on a show costs a shitload of money to produce. Tons of equipment is rented (lights & sound). Road crew, insurance, etc adds. There is a tremendous up front cost - which they recoup by playing lots of shows (apparently 35 on R40 was enough) - since they won't tour again, a residency would only make money if the ticket prices were astronomical. Then you've got the million dollar question of the business model - how many tickets could Rush sell for multiple shows at one location? For myself, as a hardcore, but not financially unlimited, fan who does travel to see shows - for crazy high prices ($225-$250?) I might be tempted to do a show or two in New York, but there's no way I could personally justify doing 5 shows at those prices (I didn't on R40.) While there may be some hardcore fans that have more disposable income, I could be surprised, but I don't see them filling a huge hall in one location at crazy high prices for multiple shows. Financially I don't see it working

Unless they had new material they would want to perform, the real question is why would they need to do this?

• Like 1

I think if they were ever going to do a residency the best place for it would be in YYZ. Along with all of the hard core hometown fans, Toronto is in close proximity to cities like Buffalo, Detroit, Hamilton, Cleveland, that all have huge numbers of rush fans. Plus people from all over the world came to both Toronto shows for R40.

I think if they were ever going to do a residency the best place for it would be in YYZ. Along with all of the hard core hometown fans, Toronto is in close proximity to cities like Buffalo, Detroit, Hamilton, Cleveland, that all have huge numbers of rush fans. Plus people from all over the world came to both Toronto shows for R40.

...and Neil can sleep over at Al's house.

And then Geddy can join them for a pillowfight...

Oh wait, that was supposed to be my inside voice.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae2/lisab7227/Al%20Neil_zpsswspx2th.gif

You sure that's a good idea? ;)

• Like 4

And then Geddy can join them for a pillowfight...

Oh wait, that was supposed to be my inside voice.

And your in the middle of all of it right??

• Like 1