Google Fiber coming my way - should I be excited?

WorkingAllTheTime

Google announced it is bringing Fiber to San Antonio in the next couple of years. Should I be interested? Excited? Napping?

Anyone out there using it? Specifically, for both internet and TV?

Yes, I know the technology is supposed to be incredibly fast.... but I also know most wifi systems are not able to process at anywhere near the speed of Google Fiber (thus a somewhat limited value at this point).

And, a point of disclosure, I was one of the very first households to have 100% fiber to the home when AT&T rolled out U-Verse. After some touch-and-go issues in the early days, I have continued to use U-Verse and have very few, if any, technical problems (their human support, though, is another story). U-Verse, for me at least, is incredibly fast and does not lock up even when I have multiple systems running. I have trouble believing Google Fiber will be all that much better for me from a tech standpoint, but maybe from a competitive, consumer cost standpoint? This would mean a fifth player in the SA market along with U-Verse, TWC, Grande, and Dish.

Thoughts?

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

If it's the same cost for more bandwidth, then sure why not? If it costs more, then you are right - not worth it. Not now at least.

How much streaming/downloading do you actually do? Most people can get by fine with a standard 20Mbps down/2Mbps up connection. I would guess you're getting 40+Mbps/5+Mbps with your current fiber... [businesses get similar downloads, but usually more upload for VPN support, etc]

Atlanta and Nashville are cities 1 and 2 for Google Fiber.

San Antonio will be awhile...unless u have heard different WorkingAllTheTime

Do you mean that Atlanta and Nashville are the first cities in the country to get it?

I have this service, but the high speed internet and not the fiber. It's tempting when you have free internet until 2020 or 2021.

Do you mean that Atlanta and Nashville are the first cities in the country to get it?

I have this service, but the high speed internet and not the fiber. It's tempting when you have free internet until 2020 or 2021.

It's a little confusing, but the planned roll outs have Atlanta and Nashville on some sort of a priority list due to the need of the mostly rich white folks in those markets.

Google Fiber offers three options: a free internet option, a 1 Gbit/s internet option, and an option including television service (in addition to the 1 Gbit/s internet). The internet service includes one terabyte of Google Drive service; the television service includes a two terabyte DVR in addition to the Google Drive. The DVR can record up to eight live television shows simultaneously. In addition, television service will also stream live program content on iPad and Android tablet computers.

Google offers several different service plans to their customers:[7]

Google found that affluent neighborhoods in Kansas City signed up for the faster service while those in poorer neighborhoods did not sign up for even the free option. In response to this digital divide, Google sent a team of 60 employees to the under-served areas to promote the Google Fiber service. Additionally, Google offered micro-grants to community organizations that want to start up digital literacy programs in Kansas City.[26]

In February 2014, Google announced it had "invited cities in nine metro areas around the U.S.—34 cities altogether—to work with us to explore what it would take to bring them Google Fiber."[54]

The nine metropolitan areas are: Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Salt Lake City, San Antonio and San Jose.[54] Of these, four have yet to be selected by Google for fiber deployments. This includes the following cities:[55]

On April 15, 2014, Google began polling business users on their need for gigabit service, that they would be "conducting a pilot program where we'll connect a limited number of small businesses to our network."[56]

Some cities and markets like Houston, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, the Hampton Roads Virginia area, and Atlantic City have been barred from Google Fiber for the meantime due to terrain and climate concerns.[56]

It's a little confusing, but the planned roll outs have Atlanta and Nashville on some sort of a priority list due to the need of the mostly rich white folks in those

Are you familiar with how many blacks live in Atlanta? If not, it's more than 54% according to the census.

As for the OP. You should be so excited you piss yourself.