Who is the number one Prog Metal Band?

Pound of Obscure

dunno what prog metal is but sounds like something id give to hawkwind maybe, best prog very tight indeed tween our band and genesis, totally different acts top of their tree.

My vote goes to Yes.

Tales From Topographic Oceans is the greatest album I have ever heard (not y favourite, but almost). No band ever came close to be honest, and its greatness casts a massive shadow on the rest of Yes' classic output for me.

Yes, the now number one METAL band :LOL:

I completely ignored the word Metal haha...oopsies...another dumb Segue statement hehehehe

Forgot to say, completely agree with TFTO :cheers:

It amazes me how any prog fan could dislike this album, but there we go...for me it is the best album of all time.

Ikr? Though the lyrics are almost books

I love the lyrics. A big part of why this album means so much to me! And the artwork just slays every other prog album out there. Too beautiful for words!

Agree. I miss those days. Imo, much better than their pop periods (u know, owner of a lonely heart for example) though i still like it.

Have you heard Wakemans projects?

Because I am still digesting Yes' classic albums, I have not yet ventured into the realms of the bands solo projects. Any good place to start?

Segue, I like Jon Anderson's "Olias Of Sunhillow" and of course, Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives Of Henry The VIII"

In my book, Wakeman can do no wrong

I also like Steve Howe's "The Steve Howe Album" from '79, although it is all over the board .. Great guitar though

Chris Squire-----Fish out of Water-----r.i.p
  • Like 1

I'm going to consider this a shopping list and go listen to the bands here that I don't already know :D

Look up Redemption. They aren't on the list but should be.

Ooh, nice. Thank you!

I got a couple albums from Symphony X and from Redemption. Listening to them now.

dunno what prog metal is but sounds like something id give to hawkwind maybe, best prog very tight indeed tween our band and genesis, totally different acts top of their tree.

You know prog rock? Where music last 20 minutes long? Kinda Pink Floyd's shine on? Well but instead of rock is with metal

• Like 1

For some more obsure prog metal acts, you should check Haken. Leprous and Unexpect, more challenging music than Dream Theater.
  • Like 2

ZOMBI

Not the movie the BAND!

Two piece band.

Drums and keys.

JOHN CARPENTER MEETS RUSH!!

Surface To Air is amazing. Signals era Rush, but instrumental and with no guitar. Synths are analog, Bass is growly, Odd time signatures, Neil-esque drumming. Night Rhythms in particular is a masterpiece.

For some more obsure prog metal acts, you should check Haken. Leprous and Unexpect, more challenging music than Dream Theater.

leprous sucks, man

That's why there's so good!

For my taste, Dream Theater. Disagree at your leisure

I find them hit and miss but their hits are off the charts!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Still say Fates but listened to some DT earlier and still really enjoy them. I'm really not up for a lot of screaming high intensity music hese days though lately I totally have Maiden fever. If you count them as Prog Metal they are definitley tops for me. Especially the last 3 albums.
  • Like 1

ZOMBI

Not the movie the BAND!

Two piece band.

Drums and keys.

JOHN CARPENTER MEETS RUSH!!

Surface To Air is amazing. Signals era Rush, but instrumental and with no guitar. Synths are analog, Bass is growly, Odd time signatures, Neil-esque drumming. Night Rhythms in particular is a masterpiece.

Wow! I looked these guys up after reading this and they blew my mind wide open! Amazing stuff!
  • Like 1

For my taste, Dream Theater. Disagree at your leisure

I liked DT before they really started messing with their personnel!!

The first line up was great, and the short time that Sherinian was in the band I liked them, but once Rudess came on board, it just changed, and I lost interest... (although I like Rudess with Morgenstein, and his solo stuff) I just never liked what he did with DT...

But I agree that DT is a probably one of the better progressive metal bands that are out there!

leprous sucks, man

Lmao, totally agree. First time i heard the was a major wtf moment

Rush and Queensrÿche have always held the number one and two spot for me. This Symphony X sounds interesting, perhaps Mastodon too?

What is your fav QR record? Let me guess...haha! Also...are you familiar with the King's X catalog. If not you will love them if you like Rush and Queensryche IMO.

What is Queensrÿche's Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures?

Rage For Order and Mindcrime.

My first instinct was to say Mindcrime and Empire.

• Like 1

RUSH!

(I didn't read any posts here.. just wanted to drop that and run hahaha ha! !!!)

• Like 1

My vote goes to Yes.

Tales From Topographic Oceans is the greatest album I have ever heard (not y favourite, but almost). No band ever came close to be honest, and its greatness casts a massive shadow on the rest of Yes' classic output for me.

A very under rated Yes album is " Talk" one of my personal faves!!!I recently purchased " Keys to Ascension", a 5 cd =dvd set, simply astonishing-------r.i.p Chris Squire Edited by canadianice