Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

02/24/1983 - Signals - Phoenix, AZ (my very first concert ever, I was 15 years old and I went with a guy who was my only friend who liked Rush... Golden Earring opened - $12.50)

06/04/1984 - Grace Under Pressure - Phoenix, AZ (I went with a co-worker who didn't speak English. He loved Rush though - Rush speaks Universal! - $13.50)

Ahh, good times... :)

Sweeeeeettttt! Did you get the 3-D glasses?

02/24/1983 - Signals - Phoenix, AZ (my very first concert ever, I was 15 years old and I went with a guy who was my only friend who liked Rush... Golden Earring opened - $12.50)

06/04/1984 - Grace Under Pressure - Phoenix, AZ (I went with a co-worker who didn't speak English. He loved Rush though - Rush speaks Universal! - $13.50)

Ahh, good times... :)

Sweeeeeettttt! Did you get the 3-D glasses?

Well, duh ... to put on my early 80's Valley (of the Sun) Girl attitude. ;)

One lens was completely opaque black and the other lens was a slightly darker shade of black and sightly more opaque. :eh:

23 April 23 - War Memorial Arena - Syracuse, New York (A Farewell to Kings Tour)

02 February 1979 - Wendler Arena - Saginaw, Michigan (Hemispheres Tour)

30 August 1979 - Wendler Arena - Saginaw, Michigan (Permanent Waves Warm Up Tour)

17 September 1984 - Madison Square Garden - New York City (Grace Under Pressure Tour)

It took me four days to hitch-hike from Saginaw...

• Like 5

23 April 23 - War Memorial Arena - Syracuse, New York (A Farewell to Kings Tour)

30 August 1979 - Wendler Arena - Saginaw, Michigan (Permanent Waves Warm Up Tour)

17 September 1984 - Madison Square Garden - New York City (Grace Under Pressure Tour)

Did you also spend time counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike?

• Like 3

Michigan seems like a dream to me now...

• Like 2

June 4th 1979 - Pinkpop Festival, Geleen Holland (with o.a The Police on the bill)

Nov 14th 1981 - Ahoy Arena, Rotterdam Holland (support act Girlschool)

May 3th 1983 - Ahoy Arena, Rotterdam Holland (support act Vandenberg)

• Like 3

Michigan seems like a dream to me now...

And the next time I'm sleeping, don't wake me up to tell me you're lost.

June 4th 1979 - Pinkpop Festival, Geleen Holland (with o.a The Police on the bill)

I have that Pinkpop bootleg on my YouTube channel (no Police - I saw them in 1983 in Arizona - fabulous show). 4 June 1979 was a fantastic show! That's awesome that you were there! :ebert:

And post #1 on TRF - welcome!

:cheers: :hi:

• Like 1

Yes, welcome Patrick to TRF! And thanks for taking a real name as a user name. :LOL:

Pinkpop is a great bootleg, and you were most fortunate to have actually been there. :)

Thankx Lorraine and CygnusGal for welcoming me.

Pinkpop 79 was really awesome. A very hot day and Rush played a magnificent show.

Other bands were The Police, Dire Straits en Elvis Costello while Peter Tosh was headlining the day. He should perform his big hit "Don't look back" with Mick Jagger but when Jagger arrived and saw the cameras he turnes around and went back to the hotel.

• Like 2

All these 70's / 80's concert stories are really cool to read! My dad saw every tour from Permanent Waves, through Test For Echo...but didn't see them again until he and I saw them on the Clockwork Angels tour in Houston (last show of the 1st leg). MY first show was Test For Echo (summer '97 leg) - and I still remember it vividly! :yes: And as you can see in my signature - I have seen them many times since :)

Sadly, I was not born UNTIL 1985 - so I can't comment on those tours lol :scared:

• Like 1

Concerts used to consist of waiting outside in the cold and wet, or hot steamy weather for hours. Then a mad rush as thousands of people crushed together to get in the doors and running down the stairs to the arena floor to get as close to the stage as you could. You had to stand there as everyone packed in like sardines. Not always a pleasant thing to be squeezed in with that many people especially since it could get quite warm. Arena air conditioning didn't work that well with so many people so close together. Then you had all the pot smoke. Especially once the concert started. It would be very difficult for any security person to find out where it was coming from so the air was soon full of smoke. Since they've had assigned seating and chairs on the floor, with aisles and rows, it's become so very staid and laid back. You can actually leave your place and go to the restroom and come back to the same place you were before without worrying that you'll lose your spot. The biggest difference I noticed when I took a few years off from going to concerts was the cleanliness of the air. Going to a concert now days is more like going to a movie. It's a bit less of an experience, but probably a safer one.
  • Like 1

Concerts used to consist of waiting outside in the cold and wet, or hot steamy weather for hours. Then a mad rush as thousands of people crushed together to get in the doors and running down the stairs to the arena floor to get as close to the stage as you could. You had to stand there as everyone packed in like sardines. Not always a pleasant thing to be squeezed in with that many people especially since it could get quite warm. Arena air conditioning didn't work that well with so many people so close together. Then you had all the pot smoke. Especially once the concert started. It would be very difficult for any security person to find out where it was coming from so the air was soon full of smoke. Since they've had assigned seating and chairs on the floor, with aisles and rows, it's become so very staid and laid back. You can actually leave your place and go to the restroom and come back to the same place you were before without worrying that you'll lose your spot. The biggest difference I noticed when I took a few years off from going to concerts was the cleanliness of the air. Going to a concert now days is more like going to a movie. It's a bit less of an experience, but probably a safer one.

Hawkwind concerts were the worst. I had to come out of one because I was having trouble breathing. There was a fog of pot smoke lying like a cloud above the audience.
  • Like 1

I was never to any general admission concert and the first one I went to was in 1969. We always had to buy tickets with assigned seats. MSG was air conditioned, and the one I went to at the Fillmore was in the Autumn.

Except once there was general admission - the Westbury Music Fair in 1973? 1974? It was the only concert I ever walked out on. Our choice of "seats" consisted of wading through mud (on account of the fact that it had rained heavily for days prior to the music fair) to sit on the ground. I didn't think Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, nor The Beach Boys, were worth it. So I went back home.

The worst thing I remember about concert going in the old days was buying the ticket. This was before Ticketron. We actually had to go to the box office of the venue. If it was a popular band, you could be on line for hours and hours if you wanted a good seat. If you weren't picky, and were willing to risk the chance of it being sold out, you could wait an extra day or two when the lines weren't as bad, if there was any line by that point at all.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I was never to any general admission concert and the first one I went to was in 1969. We always had to buy tickets with assigned seats. MSG was air conditioned, and the one I went to at the Fillmore was in the Autumn.

Except once there was general admission - the Westbury Music Fair in 1973? 1974? It was the only concert I ever walked out on. Our choice of "seats" consisted of wading through mud (on account of the fact that it had rained heavily for days prior to the music fair) to sit on the ground. I didn't think Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, nor The Beach Boys, were worth it. So I went back home.

The worst thing I remember about concert going in the old days was buying the ticket. This was before Ticketron. We actually had to go to the box office of the venue. If it was a popular band, you could be on line for hours and hours if you wanted a good seat. If you weren't picky, and were willing to risk the chance of it being sold out, you could wait an extra day or two when the lines weren't as bad, if there was any line by that point at all.

I never went to any concerts that weren't general admission before they implemented the assigned seating after The Who concert where the people died in Cincinnati. I do remember for sure that the Moving Pictures tour in '81 was still general admission.

Are you thinking of Waterloo Village in NJ?

Westbury in Long Island is a nice theater now.

When I was younger (much younger), I was OK with the pushing and shoving of GA.

Now, not so much. I couldn't see a band with a young crowd in a setting like that anymore, at 48. But I did see Twisted Sister a couple of months ago and it wasn't so bad, back near the bar with the guys my age. :)

I'm going to see Riverside in September, same deal GA. But it's a different kind of crowd... a bunch of prog guys standing around drinking beer (or wine in my case), drooling over 12 minute long heavy songs. LOL.

• Like 1

Are you thinking of Waterloo Village in NJ?

Westbury in Long Island is a nice theater now.

I never heard of Waterloo Village.

It was the Westbury Music Fair. This was the early seventies. I know we had to take the Long Island Railroad to get there.

• Like 1

Welcome Patrick !

Patrick, can you remember if RUSH opened with Anthem at Pinkpop ?

The bootlegs have the first song as A Passage To Bangkok, which, to me, is not the song they would have opened with . . .

Anyways, welcome to the board and congrats on seeing what is probably my all-time favorite RUSH performance

Edited by Lucas