Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

Oddly enough, there's been recent research as to whether you can have an orgasm listening to music.

All I know is that I still have a boner 38 years after first hearing Cygnus X1

Man, you're WAY over your 4 hour limit.

• Like 5

Oddly enough, there's been recent research as to whether you can have an orgasm listening to music.

All I know is that I still have a boner 38 years after first hearing Cygnus X1

I can see that as an erectile dysfunction commercial...

"Are you one of thousands of men suffering from erectile dysfunction? For you, we introduce the Cygnus X-1. The next generation in sexual performance enhancement. One listen and you'll be fully erect for the next 38 years. So potent and satisfying that you'll have her screaming like Geddy Lee."

--Like a spiral sea unending

:blaze:

• Like 1

OK, back to our regularly scheduled Rush programming,

All my 80s shows were at the Nassau Coliseum, where it was not uncommon for Al n Ged to don Islander jerseys during the encore. This was during the Isles Stanley Cup dynasty.

Interesting parallel between Rush and the Isles. Both were on the rise in the late 70s and both were at the top and sustained it during the early 80s. Something special about seeing a Canadian band at what was the Mecca for hockey at that time.

To answer your Rush popularity question Lorraine, from Hemispheres forward, Rush always played multiple arena sellouts on Long Island. Funny in the big bad city they were playing smaller venues like the Palladium, up til 1980, but played Nassau Coliseum as early as 1978. Still kicking myself for not standing up to Mom and catch the PeW tour in 1980...anyway, my 80s shows,

5/20/81....Nassau

12/9/82...Nassau

9/30/84...Nassau

4/4/86...Nassau

Edit...had to check! Rush did play Nassau Coliseum on Hemispheres, but not til spring 1979. I did not see any MSG shows in the 70s on the database. So they would play 2-4 shows at the palladium in the city back then, and then a packed arena show on the Island. Not sure about Jersey during this tour.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Some fuzziness in the memory regarding these actual concerts. 1977 show was around the time of "ATWAS." Seem to recall the 1980 show was "Hemispheres" tour? Date seems wrong, but I have the Hemi tour program. Saw the band on "Moving Pictures" tour but can't find the ticket stub. The 1982 show was "Signals" tour.http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/notperfekt/earlyRushtiks_zpsae2b91ca.jpg"]http://http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/notperfekt/earlyRushtiks_zpsae2b91ca.jpg[/url] Edited by Curly
  • Like 2

December 2, 1982: Madison Square Garden, New York City

September 21, 1983: Radio City Music Hall, New York City

John, I was at one of the Radio City shows - did Marillion open when you saw them ?? ... They were booed unmercifully - I almost felt bad for them, but I was a 15 year old metal head and hated them too :D

The night I was there we booed them to the point of cutting their set short. I was just a 16 year old brat myself.

And how old of a brat are you now?

hahahaha Just teasing. ;)

48 and as my wife reminds me still a brat!

• Like 1

Some fuzziness in the memory regarding these actual concerts. 1977 show was around the time of "ATWAS." Seem to recall the 1980 show was "Hemispheres" tour? Date seems wrong, but I have the Hemi tour program. Saw the band on "Moving Pictures" tour but can't find the ticket stub. The 1982 show was "Signals" tour.http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/notperfekt/earlyRushtiks_zpsae2b91ca.jpg"]http://http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/notperfekt/earlyRushtiks_zpsae2b91ca.jpg[/url]

Curly, the May 6th 1977 show was at the St Paul Civic Center, right ?? ... ok, think back - did they play In The End ?? .. or did they play "Xanadu" ??

According to the few setlists I can find, I have never seen both In The End and Xanadu played at the same show - apparently sometime in April-May 1977, In The End was axed from the setlist in favor of Xanadu ... This was pre- A Farewell To Kings .

But whatever the case, you still are a lucky one because according to the setlist for your May 6th show, they played The Necromancer ( at least part of it coming out of By Tor ) ...

The Sept 11th show was a pre Moving Pictures show - probably the same set that they played when I saw them Sept 25 at the Spectrum in Philly .... They introduced Tom Sawyer and Limelight

My question is does anyone else remember at the Moving Pictures concert at Stafford Bingley Hall UK 1981; The Trees being followed by something Geddy called The Forest which became Subdivisions?

The year was 1980...

Rush announced their Permanent Waves Tour. One date in Chicago was announced - Thursday April 3, at Chicago's legendary International Amphitheater (constructed in the stockyards for the auctioning of slaughtered cattle; so it was a great place to see hard rock!!). The only problem was that Thursday April 3 1980 was also Holy Thursday, and in this Catholic boy's house, that meant Mom was unlikely to look favorably on such frivolity. Negotiations were had, pledges were made, and I got tickets to see my first Rush show by waiting outside of the Montgomery Wards with my friend Gary from 4 AM for Ticketron to open at 10. The show sold out in a very short time, so a second date was added - Saturday, April 5. Well, even though Saturday April 5 was between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, it's not a particularly reverent day, so back to the Montgomery Wards parking lot we went before dawn, and tickets were secured for that show too. Then came the epic tussle with Mom - a third show, added on Good Friday. "No way are you going to see that noise on the day they killed Jesus." I really don't know how I talked her into that one, perhaps somehow convincing her that Jesus would want me to see Rush, but I know that I did, and another pre-dawn rendezvous in the Montgomery Wards parking lot was had. The Friday show was made memorable by WLUP DJ Steve Dahl (he of disco demolition fame) reminding the Catholics in the audience that "the girls cannot eat the meat, but the guys can eat the fish." Words to live by that have stuck with me for 35 years. Finally, I met my Waterloo when Rush announced a fourth show, on Easter Sunday, April 6. "You are not going to see devil music on Easter!! You'll be excommunicated!!" If I had known that I would leave Catholicism by age 21, perhaps the threat would have been seen more as an acceleration of the inevitable, rather than a permanent smudge to explain to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. There was no arguing around her on this one, so I didn't get to go to the Easter show.

Edited by tomhealey
  • Like 1

The year was 1980...

Rush announced their Permanent Waves Tour. One date in Chicago was announced - Thursday April 3, at Chicago's legendary International Amphitheater (constructed in the stockyards for the auctioning of slaughtered cattle; so it was a great place to see hard rock!!). The only problem was that Thursday April 3 1980 was also Holy Thursday, and in this Catholic boy's house, that meant Mom was unlikely to look favorably on such frivolity. Negotiations were had, pledges were made, and I got tickets to see my first Rush show by waiting outside of the Montgomery Wards with my friend Gary from 4 AM for Ticketron to open at 10. The show sold out in a very short time, so a second date was added - Saturday, April 5. Well, even though Saturday April 5 was between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, it's not a particularly reverent day, so back to the Montgomery Wards parking lot we went before dawn, and tickets were secured for that show too. Then came the epic tussle with Mom - a third show, added on Good Friday. "No way are you going to see that noise on the day they killed Jesus." I really don't know how I talked her into that one, perhaps somehow convincing her that Jesus would want me to see Rush, but I know that I did, and another pre-dawn rendezvous in the Montgomery Wards parking lot was had. The Friday show was made memorable by WLUP DJ Steve Dahl (he of disco demolition fame) reminding the Catholics in the audience that "the girls cannot eat the meat, but the guys can eat the fish." Words to live by that have stuck with me for 35 years. Finally, I met my Waterloo when Rush announced a fourth show, on Easter Sunday, April 6. "You are not going to see devil music on Easter!! You'll be excommunicated!!" If I had known that I would leave Catholicism by age 21, perhaps the threat would have been seen more as an acceleration of the inevitable, rather than a permanent smudge to explain to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. There was no arguing around her on this one, so I didn't get to go to the Easter show.

Beings raised as a strict Catholic too, that was all too familiar and funny. After I did something bad/defiant, mum used to sometimes ask, "Jonathan, do you believe in God or satan?" This was regardless of that bad/defiant thing being anti-Catholic or not. I look back and laugh now but at those times I really wanted to say "SATAN!" :LOL: Rush kept me sane :blaze:

The year was 1980...

Beings raised as a strict Catholic too, that was all too familiar and funny. After I did something bad/defiant, mum used to sometimes ask, "Jonathan, do you believe in God or satan?" This was regardless of that bad/defiant thing being anti-Catholic or not. I look back and laugh now but at those times I really wanted to say "SATAN!" :LOL: Rush kept me sane :blaze:

But I thought people who believed in god also believed in satan, they just don't worship satan.

• Like 1

Some fuzziness in the memory regarding these actual concerts. 1977 show was around the time of "ATWAS." Seem to recall the 1980 show was "Hemispheres" tour? Date seems wrong, but I have the Hemi tour program. Saw the band on "Moving Pictures" tour but can't find the ticket stub. The 1982 show was "Signals" tour.http://http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/notperfekt/earlyRushtiks_zpsae2b91ca.jpg

Curly, the May 6th 1977 show was at the St Paul Civic Center, right ?? ... ok, think back - did they play In The End ?? .. or did they play "Xanadu" ??

According to the few setlists I can find, I have never seen both In The End and Xanadu played at the same show - apparently sometime in April-May 1977, In The End was axed from the setlist in favor of Xanadu ... This was pre- A Farewell To Kings .

But whatever the case, you still are a lucky one because according to the setlist for your May 6th show, they played The Necromancer ( at least part of it coming out of By Tor ) ...

The Sept 11th show was a pre Moving Pictures show - probably the same set that they played when I saw them Sept 25 at the Spectrum in Philly .... They introduced Tom Sawyer and Limelight

Almost positive In The End and Xanadu were played together. I'll check my boots to make certain and get back to you.

• Like 1

The year was 1980...

But I thought people who believed in god also believed in satan, they just don't worship satan.

When MommaBlaze said "believe" she meant "worship". So, even knowing that then, I still had a desire to say "SATAN" because I knew it'd piss her off. Defiant teen and all that ;)

• Like 1

I saw them LOTS of times in the 70's and early 80's - in fact the vast majority of my total shows attended. That includes a Massey Hall ATWAS show.

Were they highly regarded in Toronto back then? Or were they considered "just another local band"?

They were huge among my crowd! I was 13-14 when I first got into them 1974-75. I was in high school and the rock crowd loved Rush. The band I was in covered Working Man and In the Mood at the time. Their shows at Maple Leaf Gardens were big. As their popularity grew, there was a "Canadian pride" thing happening. It was really something for a Canadian band to make it in the USA.

• Like 2

23 April 23 - War Memorial Arena - Syracuse, New York (A Farewell to Kings Tour)

02 February 1979 - Wendler Arena - Saginaw, Michigan (Hemispheres Tour)

30 August 1979 - Wendler Arena - Saginaw, Michigan (Permanent Waves Warm Up Tour)

17 September 1984 - Madison Square Garden - New York City (Grace Under Pressure Tour)

• Like 3

02/24/1983 - Signals - Phoenix, AZ (my very first concert ever, I was 15 years old and I went with a guy who was my only friend who liked Rush... Golden Earring opened - $12.50)

06/04/1984 - Grace Under Pressure - Phoenix, AZ (I went with a co-worker who didn't speak English. He loved Rush though - Rush speaks Universal! - $13.50)

Ahh, good times... :)

• Like 2