Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

Saw them every tour since Signals. (missed Moving Pictures by a hair :banghead: )

All the Buffalo shows and most of the Rochester and Toronto shows. I haven't seen them in Toronto for a while, but it was always super Rushified on concert day. I'm gonna miss that :(

• Like 2

Do they still develop film from the old cameras? I wouldn't know the first thing to do with new high tech digital cameras.

Sure they do. There are still people with film cameras. That's the thing though. Digital cameras may be "high tech" but they're so simple to use. Easier than trying to figure out an SLR camera by a mile.

Photography principles are the same wether your shooting film or digital. The reason digital seems easier is because of the advancements in camera technology, not the media used when shooting. Camera bodies have just gotten smarter.

New World Tour (Signals): 12/2/82 MSG

Grace Under Pressure Warm Up Tour: 9/22/83 Radio City

Grace Under Pressure Tour: 9/17/84 MSG

No Rush tour came close to touching these until R40.

Edited by greg2112
  • Like 2

too young to see them in the 70's, although I just complained to my older brothers(they are around the age of Geddy, Alex and Neil) for not taking me, My family wasn't much into concert going they told me, we were too poor and there were too many of us.

I was still too young for much of the 80's then I still had no money, by the time I was out on my own and able to afford to go, it was right when Neil's tragedies happened and they had stopped touring.

the VT tour was just a week or so after my sister had died, and I was still reeling from my Dad, nephew and brother dying as well, so I didn't go. I thought about it, and almost did(I wish this one time my husband would have pushed me to do something uncomfortable because I think that it would have helped me so much)

Finally finally after being a fan since 1975 I got to see them live in 2004 and every tour since then, some multiple times a tour, and it really will never be enough but happy to have seen the ones I did see.

• Like 3

1st Rush Concert-Springfield, Ma. Springfield Civic Center. They were backing up Foghat. Late 1976 or early 1977. All The World's A Stage Tour( I think). Walked up to the front doors with 2112 blasting from inside. Crazy story why we were late.

2nd Rush Concert-Fitchburg, Ma. at a small venue. If I remember correctly Wasp(I think) was supposed to be the opening act. Never showed up, so Rush played their first " An Evening With Rush concert". I'm almost certain it was in December 1977 for their Farewell To Kings tour. Have seen them on every tour since. What a ride!

• Like 3

What a ride it's been is right.

The only drawback in those days was having to endure an opening band. I always hated that. Having to sit through listening to an unknown band doing songs no one ever heard before. The only one I ever saw that was any good was Golden Earring that opened for The Who during the Quadrophenia tour.

• Like 2

How true. The best backup band to me were CandleBox, their guitar player impressed me, and MSG, both bands and Rush played in my backyard(Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI). Strange thing, for some reason Rush haven't toured at the Civic Center since Test For Echo. I wonder why?

Early November 1894 I had smoked some while waiting on a friend to see my first show.

Wow, Rush has been around longer than I thought. ;)

:P

I didn't notice that! I'm usually pretty hard to fool, on the proofreading front. Nice catch.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Early November 1894 I had smoked some while waiting on a friend to see my first show.

I didn't notice that! I'm usually pretty hard to fool, on the proof reading front. Nice catch.

They look pretty good.

But now that the truth is out, no more clamoring for more tours. 121 years as a touring band is quite impressive!

• Like 2

I didn't notice that! I'm usually pretty hard to fool, on the proof reading front. Nice catch.

They look pretty good.

But now that the truth is out, no more clamoring for more tours. 121 years as a touring band is quite impressive!

OK, so I'll cut Geddy some slack. He does sing pretty good for a 100+ year old.

• Like 5

Do they still develop film from the old cameras? I wouldn't know the first thing to do with new high tech digital cameras.

Sure they do. There are still people with film cameras. That's the thing though. Digital cameras may be "high tech" but they're so simple to use. Easier than trying to figure out an SLR camera by a mile.

Photography principles are the same wether your shooting film or digital. The reason digital seems easier is because of the advancements in camera technology, not the media used when shooting. Camera bodies have just gotten smarter.

Right, but it all boils down to its easier to use for the average person.

• Like 1

I didn't notice that! I'm usually pretty hard to fool, on the proofreading front. Nice catch.

Ok I give up nobody's perfect. It seems I've love this band all my life.

• Like 1

Well, cant remember dates and tours , i've had a fee beers since then. But probably 2 maybe 3 b4 85...

Super informative and quality post from me, lol

The only drawback in those days was having to endure an opening band. I always hated that. Having to sit through listening to an unknown band doing songs no one ever heard before. The only one I ever saw that was any good was Golden Earring that opened for The Who during the Quadrophenia tour.

I have a feeling some people felt that way going to see KISS back in the day....who was that band that opened for them again........ :facepalm:

I have a feeling some people felt that way going to see KISS back in the day....who was that band that opened for them again........ :facepalm:

You can bet on it. If they only knew then what we know now and for that matter only a couple years later... :dweez:
  • Like 1

The Hemispheres tour they did all of By-Tor but they didn't follow it with In The End like on ATWAS. They only followed it with Xanadu. It was so disappointing for me then I would imagine... :LOL:
  • Like 1

The Hemispheres tour they did all of By-Tor but they didn't follow it with In The End like on ATWAS. They only followed it with Xanadu. It was so disappointing for me then I would imagine... :LOL:

I can imagine. It may have even disappointed me at the time.

How long were their concerts back then?

I can imagine. It may have even disappointed me at the time.

How long were their concerts back then?

From what I remember the opening band was 30-45 minutes and Rush was an hour and a half to maybe 2 hours. Just an educated guess at this point :codger: and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. There was obviously only one intermission and that was between bands (as you well know with the shows you and bands you saw). It's so great the way they have done it over the last bunch of years. Them only a plenty of them with a brief intermission. Makes for a great evening with Rush for sure.... :)
  • Like 2

For all of you ancients here who saw them midseventies or so, did you ever see Rush do By-Tor in concert like they did it on ATWAS?

Not for me. They were doing the By-Tor into Xanadu transition by the time I first saw them.

• Like 2

You lucky dog! I saw them on the Hemispheres tour as well, but they didn't play all of By-Tor.

• Like 1

You lucky dog! I saw them on the Hemispheres tour as well, but they didn't play all of By-Tor.

:laughing guy: Either that or I am misremembering... :LOL: :codger: <----------------------------------

I'm almost finished listening to the last side of ATWAS (well, I skipped Neil's drum solo); now I'm up to What You're Doing.

It sounds so early seventies, but I love it to death. Brings back a lot of good memories. Music still had almost an innocence about it that is lost today.

Edited by Lorraine