Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

January 30, 1979!! Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY -Hemispheres tour

March 7, 1981!! Louisville Gardens, Louisville Ky- Moving Pictures tour

July 3, 1984!! Market Square Arena, Indianapolis IN - R10!!!- Grace Under Pressure tour

Few and far between because I was overseas in the Navy for Permanent Waves and Signals Tours :madra:

But, as a benefit of being overseas, I was able to see Queen at the Budokan in Tokyo, so it wasn't a total loss!

Edited by mandydog
  • Like 4

1977 (2112) tour - 1978 (AFTK's) tour - 1979 (Hemispheres) tour & 1980 (Permanent Waves) tour....All in the Glasgow Apollo

1981 or 2 (Moving Pictures) tour - 1983 or 4 (Signals) tour Both in the Ingilston highland showground.. My memory for the 80's dates is a bit faded lol

• Like 2

And while you are here, maybe you can tell me how they managed to always sound in concert as they did on an album when no other band could do it?

Can anyone answer the above for me?

The reason why I got sick of going to concerts by 1980 is because I was always disappointed in the band in concert never sounding anywhere near the album. But Rush always managed to sound the same. If Rush could do it, why couldn't the other bands?

:blah: JARG, Eagle, Toymaker, Dr Cooper, Y_L or any other musicians out there want to take a stab at this one? :outtahere: :)
  • Like 2

And while you are here, maybe you can tell me how they managed to always sound in concert as they did on an album when no other band could do it?

The reason why I got sick of going to concerts by 1980 is because I was always disappointed in the band in concert never sounding anywhere near the album. But Rush always managed to sound the same. If Rush could do it, why couldn't the other bands?

:blah: JARG, Eagle, Toymaker, Dr Cooper, Y_L or any other musicians out there want to take a stab at this one? :outtahere: :)

I think it easy answer to this question would be because they wanted to. They were talented and perfectionist enough to be able to re-create their studio sound live. They said in one of the older interviews I remember reading that they kept their minds on how things would sound live when they considered how to record them in the studio. I believe a lot of other bands don't try to be that precise.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

I think it easy answer to this question would be because they wanted to. They were talented and perfectionist enough to be able to re-create their studio sound live. They said in one of the older interviews I remember reading that they kept their minds on how things would sound live when they considered how to record them in the studio. I believe a lot of other bands don't try to be that precise.

Heck I knew that... :smash: ;)
  • Like 1

Thanks for asking. I'm no musician but...

Consistent crew and employees, and equipment. Studiowise, They probably used the same exact recording equipment during the entire Terry Brown era.

• Like 2

Consistent crew and employees, and equipment. Studiowise, They probably used the same exact recording equipment during the entire Terry Brown era.

I know the board that was at Le Studio was taken out to California and is being used today. They said it had a particular sound all its own.

• Like 2

:blush: Sorry brother. It must be the fact that I haven't seen that old video of you kicking some @ss on the bass in a while... :codger:
  • Like 1

I can't remember them all, but I have seen every tour (I think) since the beginning. I do remember my first show was in December of 1974 at the Cleveland Agora. I was 14 and I was worried because it was a 18 and over show. I was big for my age and it was so busy when we got there they didn't even look twice. I may have missed the Fly By Night tour because Caress Of Steel came out before the second time I saw them in November of 1975. I do remember hearing Fly By Night songs at the Agora which was close to the time when Fly By Night came out so maybe I missed the debut tour?
  • Like 7

I can't tell you how many concerts I walked out of so disappointed back in the seventies (one exception - Peter Frampton).

• Like 1

Check my sig. If you want to be in awe, consider this: I paid peanuts for tickets, got to arena early, got in line, ran to front of stage, and saw Rush "front row." Ticket, shirt, program, Doubt I spent $60.
  • Like 2

Early '83 New World Tour. Jacksonville, Florida.

Jon Butcher Axis opened. Thought he was ok but people threw stuff like frisbees and plastic cups at that poor guy and his band.

During Rush's opening song (Spirit), some idiot near the front pulled out a knife. Think nobody was seriously hurt as security took him out quickly. Rush wasn't aware of the incident until after the gig. Ahhh, the days of general admission...

I remember the ticket being $10.50.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Check my sig. If you want to be in awe, consider this: I paid peanuts for tickets, got to arena early, got in line, ran to front of stage, and saw Rush "front row." Ticket, shirt, program, Doubt I spent $60.

I have signatures blocked. It makes the pages load better with dial up.

Since I'm 61, I know about spending peanuts for tickets. :) $5.00. $7.50 for a better seat. And I doubt that the t-shirts were much more back then either. I don't remember being able to buy a t-shirt at the Fillmore East, just as MSG in 1970.

The programs back then probably cost more than the t-shirts.

• Like 1

Got into Rush in early 1980 just before I turned 15. Saw the first two of 3 Toronto shows on the Moving Pictures tour in March of 81. FM opened. Saw the first two of 3 Toronto shows on the Signals tour in November 1982. The Payolas opened. The sound was much better on the Signals tour, perhaps the best ever. Saw every tour since at least once in Toronto and also saw a couple of shows in Montreal and one in Ottawa.
  • Like 1

AFTK tour 1977, Binghamton, NY at the then pretty new veterans memorial arena. I was a broke high school senior, best I remember tickets were $8. Amazing show, looking back I don't think it really sunk in just how great at the time...didn't have the perspective of having seen that many bands yet. I remember seeing Aerosmith around that same time and being very disappointed.

That fall I was off to college and met some cool people that really got me turned on to all of the Rush albums to date, lifetime fan ever since!

• Like 3

Off topic, I incorporated the Jolly Roger you and Tombstone thought appropriate for me in my signature.

• Like 1

Off topic, I incorporated the Jolly Roger you and Tombstone thought appropriate for me in my signature.

Well, let me go turn the signatures on so I can feast my eyes on this. I'll be back whenever the page finishes loading. don't wait up for me.

• Like 1

Are you sure it was me?

By the way, i think I will delete my signature completely. The rest of you are creative and put my puny one to shame. But I do love my little Solar Federalist Badge. I've worked hard for it you know! :yes: ;) :LOL: :cool:

• Like 1

Got into Rush in early 1980 just before I turned 15. Saw the first two of 3 Toronto shows on the Moving Pictures tour in March of 81. FM opened. Saw the first two of 3 Toronto shows on the Signals tour in November 1982. The Payolas opened. The sound was much better on the Signals tour, perhaps the best ever. Saw every tour since at least once in Toronto and also saw a couple of shows in Montreal and one in Ottawa.

That's close to my history. Although I only saw the MP once (the first date of the 3 night stand at old MLG). I remember the heat that the flashpot gave off at the end of Overture, remembering how great Limelight sounded, how effen cool Lifeson looked when they tore into the rock portion of Working Man. What a great concert that was - and the most bootleg t-shirts for sale outside the venue. I bought one for six bucks and it was the highest quality concert tee I ever had.

Saw every tour since '81 except R30. Most in Toronto but a couple in Hamilton and one in Ottawa ™.

• Like 2

That's close to my history. Although I only saw the MP once (the first date of the 3 night stand at old MLG). I remember the heat that the flashpot gave off at the end of Overture, remembering how great Limelight sounded, how effen cool Lifeson looked when they tore into the rock portion of Working Man. What a great concert that was - and the most bootleg t-shirts for sale outside the venue. I bought one for six bucks and it was the highest quality concert tee I ever had.

Saw every tour since '81 except R30. Most in Toronto but a couple in Hamilton and one in Ottawa ™.

All three had such incredible energy back then.

There's nothing like being young.

• Like 2