What US city should I visit first?

The Analog Grownup

What US city should I visit first?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What US city should I visit first?

• New York
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Las Vegas
    • Seattle
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • Orlando
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • San Francisco
    • Goatnut
    • Stay away!
    • One you haven't listed (please tell me which one)

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Yosemite is about three hours away, and I think you can get there via bus. The Grand Canyon is at least a full day's drive, and it would be easier to fly there. But if you're in SF make sure you spend at least a day exploring the coast. We have some sandy beaches here, but the real beauty is in the wild and mountainous coastlines.

Good suggestions! San Fran intinerary:

The City: Two days

Yosemite: One day

Napa/Sonoma Wine Country: One day

Redwoods: One day

Beaches: One day

There's your week!

Nothing wrong with this but I doubt it would be possible on public transportation.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I'd factor in arrival & departure days as soaking up a big part of the city time.

Six day itinerary on a seven day vacation. Book tours for the excursions, or do it the Greyfriar way and rent a car for the day or two. Rent a wagon and sleep in it.

EDIT: Or call me. I'll travel with him.

It's possible but he also didn't sound to jazzed about having to get a driver's license before all of that.

Ah yes...forgot. Chicago to New York, then. Experience two extremes...Experience (pizza) to extremes!

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Yosemite is about three hours away, and I think you can get there via bus. The Grand Canyon is at least a full day's drive, and it would be easier to fly there. But if you're in SF make sure you spend at least a day exploring the coast. We have some sandy beaches here, but the real beauty is in the wild and mountainous coastlines.

Good suggestions! San Fran intinerary:

The City: Two days

Yosemite: One day

Napa/Sonoma Wine Country: One day

Redwoods: One day

Beaches: One day

There's your week!

Nothing wrong with this but I doubt it would be possible on public transportation.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I'd factor in arrival & departure days as soaking up a big part of the city time.

Six day itinerary on a seven day vacation. Book tours for the excursions, or do it the Greyfriar way and rent a car for the day or two. Rent a wagon and sleep in it.

EDIT: Or call me. I'll travel with him.

It's possible but he also didn't sound to jazzed about having to get a driver's license before all of that.

Ah yes...forgot. Chicago to New York, then. Experience two extremes...Experience (pizza) to extremes!

It becomes clear to me that having a drivers license will add immensely to my experience of America. I will have more freedom and who knows it might turn into a TRF trip :LOL:

I should get that license :)

• Like 3

Don't bother with the US, mate...come to Rio and enjoy our 78°F winter!

78 degree winters? USA can easily provide that in a couple of states. Can't get any more diverse than the climates/geography/metropolises in the states: rugged Alaskan wilderness, beautiful tropical Hawaii, 4 Corners, Sedona, Colorado, Pacific Northwest, Florida, the Big Apple, L.A., Chi-Town, New Orleans...feels like James Brown is singing some ditty while Apollo Creed is dancing around in an Uncle Sam costume... ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit Brazil and dozens of other countries. But the states just has too much to offer anyone to skip.

:blaze:

• Like 3

78 degree winters? USA can easily provide that in a couple of states. Can't get any more diverse than the climates/geography/metropolises in the states: rugged Alaskan wilderness, beautiful tropical Hawaii, 4 Corners, Sedona, Colorado, Pacific Northwest, Florida, the Big Apple, L.A., Chi-Town, New Orleans...feels like James Brown is singing some ditty while Apollo Creed is dancing around in an Uncle Sam costume... ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit Brazil and dozens of other countries. But the states just has too much to offer anyone to skip.

:blaze:

I've lived in the US all my life, and I've seen quite a bit of it...and I love it. But I went to Mexico at the end of June- first time I'd been there in 30+ years...and I would love to go through all of Central and South America as well.

The UK and Europe are definitely on my agenda as well.

I hope to get to them all...someday...

• Like 1

From my touristic adventures I can tell, the best way to explore America is to rent a car.

The American countryside has lots of spectacular things to do and see.

Plus, you're independent. If it's good, stay, if it's not, drive away.

I can 100% call this accurate for the Western US. Most of the best things I have seen have been off two lane highways, in places with no public transportation to take you there. Utah's national parks (5), loads of sights in California, hundreds of miles of the Oregon coast, the Columbia river gorge, Mt. St. Helen's, etc.

• Like 1

That's the beauty of it. I've yet to leave the country and have seen a vast array of landscapes and climates. I hope to get international next year though, even if it's easy Canada!

That's the beauty of it. I've yet to leave the country and have seen a vast array of landscapes and climates. I hope to get international next year though, even if it's easy Canada!

Traveling the USA is great but still, I have to say that nothing beats international travel. So much more rewarding IMHO. But it IS possible to enjoy both...just don't wait too long because the longer you put off international travel, I think the less likely it's going to happen (mortgage, kids, other financial responsibilities, etc).

Traveling the USA is great but still, I have to say that nothing beats international travel. So much more rewarding IMHO. But it IS possible to enjoy both...just don't wait too long because the longer you put off international travel, I think the less likely it's going to happen (mortgage, kids, other financial responsibilities, etc).

Canada's by far most financially feasible (no Mexico), hence part of the reason I'll go there.

I'm biased, but there is tons to do in Chicago. There is plenty of sports (White Sox and Cubs are playing now). There is a fair amount of theater. Tons of shopping. Great restaurants. Cool museums. The Adler Planetarium and the Shed Aquarium. Navy Pier. Lake Michigan. You can go up into the Willis Tower, which is the tallest building in North America. If you want to venture out a little bit, there is Arlington Park, which is about 45 minutes from down town, and you could catch some horse racing in one of the nicest venues in the US. About an hour north of town is Six Flags Great America, which is a big amusement park that has a lot of roller coasters.

And the downtown area of Chicago is very clean and safe, and I've been told that if you do wonder off into a bad neighborhood, as a white dude, they'll think you are there to buy heroin, and leave you alone. ;)

• Like 3

Canada's by far most financially feasible (no Mexico), hence part of the reason I'll go there.

No Mexico? The wife and I went to Cancun a few months ago. It was amazing! :haz:
  • Like 1

I'm biased, but there is tons to do in Chicago. There is plenty of sports (White Sox and Cubs are playing now). There is a fair amount of theater. Tons of shopping. Great restaurants. Cool museums. The Adler Planetarium and the Shed Aquarium. Navy Pier. Lake Michigan. You can go up into the Willis Tower, which is the tallest building in North America. If you want to venture out a little bit, there is Arlington Park, which is about 45 minutes from down town, and you could catch some horse racing in one of the nicest venues in the US. About an hour north of town is Six Flags Great America, which is a big amusement park that has a lot of roller coasters.

And the downtown area of Chicago is very clean and safe, and I've been told that if you do wonder off into a bad neighborhood, as a white dude, they'll think you are there to buy heroin, and leave you alone. ;)

There is a lot to do downtown especially, but I usually keep my butt out here in the burbs. ;)

I'm a New Yorker who LOVES Chicago.

• Like 2

There is a lot to do downtown especially, but I usually keep my butt out here in the burbs. ;)

Downtown is amazing. So much to see and do, but it's so god awful expensive to park down there. It's not too bad when we take the train in.

Where are you at in the burbs? I'm up in Lake County.

First time I ever went to Chicago, I was 19- went with two friends of mine...I remember walking around Grant Park at about 2:00 AM... :P

What can I say? We knew no fear. Had a blast.

First time I ever went to Chicago, I was 19- went with two friends of mine...I remember walking around Grant Park at about 2:00 AM... :P

Anywhere downtown at 2:00 AM is probably pretty safe. Other areas? Not so much. :scared:

No Mexico? The wife and I went to Cancun a few months ago. It was amazing! :haz:

I just got back from there five weeks ago, and I totally agree!

The other place we were kicking around going it was Chicago.

But Cancun was cheaper!

Anywhere downtown at 2:00 AM is probably pretty safe. Other areas? Not so much. :scared:

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It was loads of fun.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It was loads of fun.

Back in my 20s, I used to walk around Division street at 4:00 AM quite often. We'd close the bars and walk around looking for a place to get a bite to eat. Those were some great times. :)
  • Like 1

I'm not online that much these days due to very long hours at work, but just wanted to let you know that I read your suggestions, take them to heart and are grateful for you time. Thank you! :)

Forgive me if some of this has already been answered...

You only have about one week to visit, right? Are you into sightseeing? Do you want to see a city and do all those quintessential touristy things? Do you like the big city or more small town? Are you a city guy or a country guy? If you really like the big city then I would probably visit NYC or Chicago, personally I would lean towards NYC. Much more to do. Chicago has a lot of what NYC has but NYC will have more options. Plus, you will be close to Boston and you will get a good feel for early America, history and architecture. Or, are you more of a nature guy, into hiking, camping, etc? If that's the case then maybe plan for a Midwest trip?? A good in-between option is of course Seattle/Portland. Some big city life and some nature. It's all new over here on the west coast. Not a lot of impressive architecture of historical buildings though.

Again though, it comes down to what you're interested in. You only have one week here so make it perfect! It should be exactly what you are into. Of course everyone who lives in the States is going to say their city is the best. You should only listen to me though because, truly, Seattle is the best. ;)

Oh and to answer your pot question earlier, you CANNOT smoke in public. So, I'll have to get you stoned indoors. :)

Edited by Janie
  • Like 1

I'm not online that much these days due to very long hours at work, but just wanted to let you know that I read your suggestions, take them to heart and are grateful for you time. Thank you! :)

You only have about one week to visit, right? Are you into sightseeing? Do you want to see a city and do all those quintessential touristy things? Do you like the big city or more small town? Are you a city guy or a country guy? If you really like the big city then I would probably visit NYC or Chicago, personally I would lean towards NYC. Much more to do. Chicago has a lot of what NYC has but NYC will have more options. Plus, you will be close to Boston and you will get a good feel for early America, history and architecture. Or, are you more of a nature guy, into hiking, camping, etc? If that's the case then maybe plan for a Midwest trip?? A good in-between option is of course Seattle/Portland. Some big city life and some nature. It's all new over here on the west coast. Not a lot of impressive architecture of historical buildings though.

Again though, it comes down to what you're interested in. You only have one week here so make it perfect! It should be exactly what you are into. Of course everyone who lives in the States is going to say their city is the best. You should only listen to me though because, truly, Seattle is the best. ;)

Oh and to answer your pot question earlier, you CANNOT smoke in public. So, I'll have to get you stoned indoors. :)

She forgot to mention to bring a wheelbarrow...because you'll need it to haul all the money you'll be spending.
  • Like 1

She forgot to mention to bring a wheelbarrow...because you'll need it to haul all the money you'll be spending.

Weed ain't that expensive. Nor is pizza. Or Cheetos. Or Cap'n Crunch.

• Like 1

Funny Janie. I was curious about the weed industry and wanted to see what it was like. I couldn't find one place that sold weed downtown. I stayed at the Palladian and walked all over. Couldn't find one place within a reasonable distance. Beautiful city. People were mildly polite. That really struck me about Seattle. I thought they'd be handing out joints at the airport when you arrive.

Funny Janie. I was curious about the weed industry and wanted to see what it was like. I couldn't find one place that sold weed downtown. I stayed at the Palladian and walked all over. Couldn't find one place within a reasonable distance. Beautiful city. People were mildly polite. That really struck me about Seattle. I thought they'd be handing out joints at the airport when you arrive.

So, yeah, pot is legal here but can be difficult to find a shop. There are constant issues with stores selling (it seems like). Pot stores are nowhere near as prevalent as Starbucks. Seattle is so funny. And confused. We don't know if we want to be wired or mellow so we've become a city of chilled out hyper folk.

• Like 1