What US city should I visit first?

The Analog Grownup

What US city should I visit first?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What US city should I visit first?

• New York
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Las Vegas
    • Seattle
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • Orlando
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • San Francisco
    • Goatnut
    • Stay away!
    • One you haven't listed (please tell me which one)

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Yosemite is about three hours away, and I think you can get there via bus. The Grand Canyon is at least a full day's drive, and it would be easier to fly there. But if you're in SF make sure you spend at least a day exploring the coast. We have some sandy beaches here, but the real beauty is in the wild and mountainous coastlines.

Good suggestions! San Fran intinerary:

The City: Two days

Yosemite: One day

Napa/Sonoma Wine Country: One day

Redwoods: One day

Beaches: One day

There's your week!

• Like 5

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Yosemite is about three hours away, and I think you can get there via bus. The Grand Canyon is at least a full day's drive, and it would be easier to fly there. But if you're in SF make sure you spend at least a day exploring the coast. We have some sandy beaches here, but the real beauty is in the wild and mountainous coastlines.

There's your week!

Nice!,

That would be really cool. Split it up and see so much other stuff besides the big city the whole time. :cool:

• Like 1

And a little town called Goatnut shall lead the way.

Our women speak with a honey tongue...you'll love it!

:haz:

If I were only 18 again. :P

"Honey Tongue". We have to pin that to someone...
  • Like 2

:haz:

If I were only 18 again. :P

"Honey Tongue". We have to pin that to someone...

Mr. Duck. :LOL:

From my touristic adventures I can tell, the best way to explore America is to rent a car.

The American countryside has lots of spectacular things to do and see.

Plus, you're independent. If it's good, stay, if it's not, drive away.

• Like 7

From my touristic adventures I can tell, the best way to explore America is to rent a car.

I feel the same about Europe. I love driving there!
  • Like 3

Yep,

You spend a lot of money and you must make the most of it. :D

• Like 1

Trains are great in Europe. I love falling asleep on a rocking train.

Although, taking a train from Germany to Auschwitz did feel slightly nerve-wracking.

• Like 1

How about skipping America and go to Toronto instead. Hang around in the Orbit Room, get stoned on Younge Street, visit the great historical Rush places...Toronto is a freaky town man.
  • Like 1

There's your week!

Nothing wrong with this but I doubt it would be possible on public transportation.

There's your week!

Nothing wrong with this but I doubt it would be possible on public transportation.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I'd factor in arrival & departure days as soaking up a big part of the city time.

Here's the honey tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zO_qy4pV60

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

NYC is an armpit.

I can say it because I was born there, went to school there, raised my family there and work there.

I still work there.

Once, walking to the Port Authority, admiring the four foot piles of garbage bags and taking in the weird smells, I stepped in a greyish liquid with an orange tint. What the hell was it?!?!?!

I love it, but I probably hate it more.

Here's the honey tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zO_qy4pV60

It's a funny thing...I grew up in north Florida and the women sounding like that sound charming or at least familiar to me. But when men have that drawl I just think: redneck or at best "friendly good 'ol boy"

NYC is an armpit.

I can say it because I was born there, went to school there, raised my family there and work there.

I still work there.

Once, walking to the Port Authority, admiring the four foot piles of garbage bags and taking in the weird smells, I stepped in a greyish liquid with an orange tint. What the hell was it?!?!?!

Well, Osaka (here) is an armpit, Saigon is an armpit, Hong Kong is an armpit, Bangkok is more like a crotch, etc. but that grittiness and rawness are part of what make those cities interesting. "Greyish liquid with an orange tint" you say you stepped in? Dude, that'd be a condiment in Asia. ;)

:blaze:

• Like 1

NYC is an armpit.

I still work there.

Well, Osaka (here) is an armpit, Saigon is an armpit, Hong Kong is an armpit, Bangkok is more like a crotch, etc. but that grittiness and rawness are part of what make those cities interesting. "Greyish liquid with an orange tint" you say you stepped in? Dude, that'd be a condiment in Asia. ;)

Maybe so. I didn't take the opportunity to taste it!

NYC is an armpit.

I still work there.

Maybe so. I didn't take the opportunity to taste it!

Try it with deep fried pork spring rolls

• Like 1

Trains are great in Europe. I love falling asleep on a rocking train.

Although, taking a train from Germany to Auschwitz did feel slightly nerve-wracking.

Oh dear!

Sleeping on a train is a risk. Lots of thieves.

There's your week!

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I'd factor in arrival & departure days as soaking up a big part of the city time.

Six day itinerary on a seven day vacation. Book tours for the excursions, or do it the Greyfriar way and rent a car for the day or two. Rent a wagon and sleep in it.

EDIT: Or call me. I'll travel with him.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

There's your week!

Six day itinerary on a seven day vacation. Book tours for the excursions, or do it the Greyfriar way and rent a car for the day or two. Rent a wagon and sleep in it.

EDIT: Or call me. I'll travel with him.

It's possible but he also didn't sound too jazzed about having to get a driver's license before all of that.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze