Irvine, Los Angles, and a symbolic wave of goodbye from Neil....

LeaveMyThingAlone

I think most people are agreed Geddy is still got some fire in his belly...

Does he ever! That man is alive. I shook my head in wonder watching him during the Tulsa show video wondering how he does it. He must keep himself in very good shape. His enthusiasm is so evident.

• Like 3

Here it is:

20286530872_c20a47e45b_b.jpg

I don't know when/where this photo was originally taken, though I know that I first downloaded it from the internet on May 24 of this year, so it long pre-dates the end of this tour. I was surprised when Mosbach tweeted it as if it had come from the final show, though it is an image artistically suggestive of the end of things.

I hate to wade into the rampant psychoanalysis that seems to be going on in this thread, so I will simply say that as a person with Asperger's, who has children with Asperger's, some folks just don't care to be in close physical contact with other people, even those they love with all their hearts. So I wouldn't read anything dark into Neil's walking ahead in this photo. Heck, he may just be too hot and sweaty from 3 hours of drumming to want to impose his stink on his buds.

• Like 1

Even though my posts are falling on deaf internet ears, I will repeat again, speaking only for myself.

I am not psychoanalyzing anyone. I can't help what pops involuntary into my mind. It's not like I sat and pondered the picture looking for things wrong. When I saw the picture, the question came to my mind immediately without any forethought.

I am not trying to read anyone's mind as to why they did or didn't do, say or didn't say, whatever it is they did or said. I've yet to watch it myself, and was and am only interested in only the impressions that other here who have watched it came away with.

Edited by Lorraine

To me, there was just an awkwardness to his demeanor, and that had to do with his social anxieties and shyness more than anything. I did not at feel he was sad or emotional. I think he was probably relieved it is over but also wanted to do something a little different to show everyone the reality of what this night was. Everyone trying to interpret what each member is thinking as it's happening is a bit much.

I would guess Geddy and Alex may have gotten a bit emotional afterwards. I think they had both held out hope of this not being the end, but they know what Neil was saying with all that and it probably sunk in afterwards.

You must be the least observant person on here. I mean that with the utmost respect. The picture posted earlier couldn't be more clear.

Yes...having an opinion of a video after watching is hardly being a psychologist for petes sake....thinking out loud that hey it looks a little weird for NP to still hit the bricks so quickly while appearing to signal "the end" by coming upfront for a final bow isn't really doing anything other than reporting observations...

Again...I've heard about his shyness for years...at this point if this is IT though...come on man...get over it...where did he run anyway?

Hint...the same afterparty Lee and Lifeson went to......what's the hurry?

Its weird....love NP...but come on already

• Like 1

Yes...having an opinion of a video after watching is hardly being a psychologist for petes sake....thinking out loud that hey it looks a little weird for NP to still hit the bricks so quickly while appearing to signal "the end" by coming upfront for a final bow isn't really doing anything other than reporting observations...

Again...I've heard about his shyness for years...at this point if this is IT though...come on man...get over it...where did he run anyway?

Couldn't he have just been going to get a shower and change his clothes? He's got to be really sweaty after the show. Do people think that he should stand out there for five minutes on stage bowing and waving or something? Just curious Because so many people seem to be cutting him down for some reason.

• Like 1

I'm not cutting him down...but I've never seen any pro drummer so eager to run offstage in my life....it is what it is....or ...maybe it is what it was....but I sure hope not :)

I'm not cutting him down...but I've never seen any pro drummer so eager to run offstage in my life....it is what it is....or ...maybe it is what it was....but I sure hope not :)

I'm just shaking my head at this.

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

I think it's very safe to assume Neil didn't cry. At all.

Geddy, no - he is very disciplined.

Alex - if any one of them would have, it would have been him, but I think he is in such pain with his hands that even though I think he felt very bad, he was relieved it was over.

Look at the final song that's everywhere on Youtube.... Look at Geddy just jamming Garden Road in front of the stage looking into emptyness.... This is NOT a guy who's happy this is ending.... Look at Neil and his giddiness (No pun intended) leaving his kit the EXACT second the show ends, like a kid who just finished school... He COULDN"T wait to get out of there.... Look at his "bye bye!" and the way he bolts off the stage.... Look at Alex, standing there, not knowing what to do... Look at Geddy saying " "I" truly hope we'll see each other again".... Then taking a final look at the stage, heartbroken (And I think saying "Bye bye" to it)... (And the tap on the back from the roadie who probably knew how Geddy was feeling as he was handing him his bass) All the info we need is there..... The old exp<b></b>ression goes "There wasn't a dry eye in the house" well, yes there were... TWO! Neil's eyes.... He was so happy to get out of there, I found it almost indecent.... I don't think we'll see Neil again.... Mosbach posted that "End Of The Road" pic after the show.... That Anderson guy's tweet... John Good... These are all people related to Neil (Don't think Al & Geddy have much of a relationship with any of those).... The only 2 people always saying in interviews that it's not the end are Geddy and Alex.... Someone wrote here on the board (Earl??) that Neil left the party pretty quick, while Geddy & Alex stayed 'til 2:30.... It's all there..... Geddy & Alex are on their own.....

On another note, saw somwewhere that in recent weeks, some idiots went and broke every remaining thing at Le Studio (Exterior windows, etc...) I TRULY hope that Rush fans who visit that place aren't doing that stuff........... The stupid media went and talked about the whole thing this Spring... Well... They probably just ended up doing the building in......... Now every idiot in town will go and party and squat and break everything... Way to go....

I feel you brother....on several points.

There was lots of emotion...the crowd, the band, the crew...

After seeing them 27 times with the Hemi Tour my first, I'd like to think I can feel the vibe of a show....

The Irvine sound and band energy was amazing.

O M F-ing God...When I walked into the Forum on Saturday August 1st 2015.... The vibe was different, hard to explain....gloriously eerie?

They came...They played...that will be recorded in the annals of Rock Legend....

Hopefully the 3 Man Rush Bow at the end will be received by all an ultimate sign of appreciation and recognition of a Rock-n-Roll success story...

A story that has touched so many of us so deeply...for so long.

Thank you Alex, Neil and Geddy...for being RUSH

• Like 4

Couldn't he have just been going to get a shower and change his clothes? He's got to be really sweaty after the show. Do people think that he should stand out there for five minutes on stage bowing and waving or something? Just curious Because so many people seem to be cutting him down for some reason.

I'm not cutting him down, EagleMoon... Hey... I LOVE Neil... He's the sole reason I became a drummer back in the early 80's!! When I went to Le Studio, I didn't sit in Geddy's spot playing Air Bass... I went to Neil's spot to play airdrums! (I didn't know in advance I'd be going that day, or I would have brought my sticks--Promark 747s of course! The official Neil Peart ones!) But it's just that I feel he REALLY doesn't want to do this anymore, and like toadbrother said, Geddy still has that fire burning in his belly... And Alex said it best, there's this tug, both ways in the band right now.... We're all speculating, and none of us are THEM... So no one knows... It's just my take on what I see... We're both musicians, we can identify to what it is to be in a band and all.... I've met Neil & Geddy once, Alex a few times.... Geddy is very reserved, Alex is your instant friend, and Neil, well... Just that... Was he sincere? Annoyed?? Let's say, at best he's "neutral"... I'm lucky, I got to meet him (on the band's request), others have not been as fortunate, or have had bad experiences.... As for that final wave, maybe he was just so happy that the tour went well, that he decided to do something impromptu, and we're all getting the wrong idea... Could very well be.... He's opened up a lot in the last few years... (A GOOD thing!!) Maybe those pics are just for his blog, (Or for Olivia!) and there is absolutely no meaning other than to immortalize the end of the tour.... Only time will tell..... There are a million Rush fans speculating everywhere this week.... All is well... We're just chatting among friends... Everyone can chime in on what they think, or see, or make out of it.... It's the final R40 goodbye's periscope thread of sorts!! :)

I'm not cutting him down, EagleMoon... Hey... I LOVE Neil... He's the sole reason I became a drummer back in the early 80's!! When I went to Le Studio, I didn't sit in Geddy's spot playing Air Bass... I went to Neil's spot to play airdrums! (I didn't know in advance I'd be going that day, or I would have brought my sticks--Promark 747s of course! The official Neil Peart ones!) But it's just that I feel he REALLY doesn't want to do this anymore, and like toadbrother said, Geddy still has that fire burning in his belly... And Alex said it best, there's this tug, both ways in the band right now.... We're all speculating, and none of us are THEM... So no one knows... It's just my take on what I see... We're both musicians, we can identify to what it is to be in a band and all.... I've met Neil & Geddy once, Alex a few times.... Geddy is very reserved, Alex is your instant friend, and Neil, well... Just that... Was he sincere? Annoyed?? Let's say, at best he's "neutral"... I'm lucky, I got to meet him (on the band's request), others have not been as fortunate, or have had bad experiences.... As for that final wave, maybe he was just so happy that the tour went well, that he decided to do something impromptu, and we're all getting the wrong idea... Could very well be.... He's opened up a lot in the last few years... (A GOOD thing!!) Maybe those pics are just for his blog, (Or for Olivia!) and there is absolutely no meaning other than to immortalize the end of the tour.... Only time will tell..... There are a million Rush fans speculating everywhere this week.... All is well... We're just chatting among friends... Everyone can chime in on what they think, or see, or make out of it.... It's the final R40 goodbye's periscope thread of sorts!! :)

Not a problem. I think it's how I read your post. It came across as negative when that apparently isn't what you meant to say. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

I share all the emotions on this board already stated. I mean, geez, these guys entered my life when I was a mixed up teen and they are still in my life as a mixed up grandfather. But knowing this is their final bow really made me face my mortality. Rush is the one constant "escape" I've had. They are the only group that no matter how tight money, time, anything, I would go see them. I can't say that about any other group. Now, it is over and I'm going "gee, is this what getting old feels like?" No more concerts,no more bonding with others the way Rush shows brought us together. Right now, it is like something fun in my life is gone and will never be replaced. Sort of like if baseball came to an end. Oh well,I've been playing "Different Stages" everyday since the last show. At least I've got that going for me.
  • Like 1

I share all the emotions on this board already stated. I mean, geez, these guys entered my life when I was a mixed up teen and they are still in my life as a mixed up grandfather. But knowing this is their final bow really made me face my mortality. Rush is the one constant "escape" I've had. They are the only group that no matter how tight money, time, anything, I would go see them. I can't say that about any other group. Now, it is over and I'm going "gee, is this what getting old feels like?" No more concerts,no more bonding with others the way Rush shows brought us together. Right now, it is like something fun in my life is gone and will never be replaced. Sort of like if baseball came to an end. Oh well,I've been playing "Different Stages" everyday since the last show. At least I've got that going for me.

I think we'll all hold out hope for more music from them up until something definite happens and we know it's really over.

I think we'll all hold out hope for more music from them up until something definite happens and we know it's really over.

Don't you mean "WE HOLD ON?"

We still have the music. Rush in the past tense has been sooner rather than later for some time now. Heck, I was pretty darned sure we'd never hear anything from them again after Neil's personal tragedies, so when they came out with Vapor Trails and started touring again, it was a lot like a resurrection, but as they moved from their 50s into their 60s, I knew that retirement was looming. They were strongly hinting at it in the lead up to the Time Machine tour, and so far as I'm concerned, at least Neil had every intention of making Clockwork Angels the band's swansong (I mean, just listen to the lyrics on Headlong Flight and The Garden). I fully expected the CA tour to be the last one, so when R40 was announced, I took that as a bonus.

I'm a little sad, because Rush has been a big part of my musical experience since I first watched the video for the Show of Hand's version of Marathon all the way back around 1989 or 1990. It was something for me to belong to a kind of an underground who loved this so-often ridiculed and chronically under-appreciated band. Their renaissance after Neil's return was the icing on what would have been, even without the later albums, an extraordinary career.

But, at the same time, nothing can go on forever, and I would rather have my last memory of Rush be that extraordinary concert I saw a couple of weeks ago in Vancouver, which, for all the really great concerts I've seen in my time, stands as being the single best three hours of musical rapture I have ever experienced. I'm afraid that if they come back in a couple of years, they will have already crossed that line from amazing musical forces to a diminished act that is only a shadow of its former self. I think, as much as I would love them to go on, that I would rather they stop while they still enjoy most of their legendary prowess. There's no way I want them to become like BB King or Elvis, a phantom trotted out on stage to sell tickets.

Edited by toadbrother
  • Like 3

I hear ya. I've had that empty feeling all week. The last of the kids have moved out. The band I've loved since high school may be done. Feels like there's been a death in the family. I can't even listen to Rush this week. Gotta give it a little time, then enjoy the 4 decades of music forever. That's all we can really do now.

• Like 1

I think, as much as I would love them to go on, that I would rather they stop while they still enjoy most of their legendary prowess. There's no way I want them to become like BB King or Elvis, a phantom trotted out on stage to sell tickets.

Yup. There's something to be said for going out on top.

• Like 1

I has to end sometime. Now seems like a good time. I've watched some Van Halen videos and DLR is brutal. Anyone complaining of Ged's voice should have a listen. He's quite remarkable for his age compared to some other singers.

Of course Geddy had a lot gas in that tank to start with.

We still have the music. Rush in the past tense has been sooner rather than later for some time now. Heck, I was pretty darned sure we'd never hear anything from them again after Neil's personal tragedies, so when they came out with Vapor Trails and started touring again, it was a lot like a resurrection, but as they moved from their 50s into their 60s, I knew that retirement was looming. They were strongly hinting at it in the lead up to the Time Machine tour, and so far as I'm concerned, at least Neil had every intention of making Clockwork Angels the band's swansong (I mean, just listen to the lyrics on Headlong Flight and The Garden). I fully expected the CA tour to be the last one, so when R40 was announced, I took that as a bonus.

I'm a little sad, because Rush has been a big part of my musical experience since I first watched the video for the Show of Hand's version of Marathon all the way back around 1989 or 1990. It was something for me to belong to a kind of an underground who loved this so-often ridiculed and chronically under-appreciated band. Their renaissance after Neil's return was the icing on what would have been, even without the later albums, an extraordinary career.

But, at the same time, nothing can go on forever, and I would rather have my last memory of Rush be that extraordinary concert I saw a couple of weeks ago in Vancouver, which, for all the really great concerts I've seen in my time, stands as being the single best three hours of musical rapture I have ever experienced. I'm afraid that if they come back in a couple of years, they will have already crossed that line from amazing musical forces to a diminished act that is only a shadow of its former self. I think, as much as I would love them to go on, that I would rather they stop while they still enjoy most of their legendary prowess. There's no way I want them to become like BB King or Elvis, a phantom trotted out on stage to sell tickets.

These last few weeks felt like a living funeral. I'm in a quiet stage musically right now, it's been nothing but Rush for months but now stillness is all I want. I put side 3 ESL on tonight as I stretched out my R40 worked back, it was nice in the dark upside down inverted, many nice memories of Xanadu are there ready for recall. I'm just overall not ready to jam tunes right now. We all put so much into this tour, this week feels weird to say the least.
  • Like 1

I has to end sometime. Now seems like a good time. I've watched some Van Halen videos and DLR is brutal. Anyone complaining of Ged's voice should have a listen. He's quite remarkable for his age compared to some other singers.

Yeah, but Dave never really had a voice to begin with. Geddy did.

Everyone here, or most here, would know that as a Rush fan I don't rank high nor would I consider myself as much of a fan as the majority here. But even I feel lost with a void inside and this feeling of sadness that I can't shake.

If I, who am at the bottom of the Rush fan list, feel this way, I can't begin to imagine how the rest of you feel.

• Like 2