Irvine, Los Angles, and a symbolic wave of goodbye from Neil....

LeaveMyThingAlone

Spot on. I was at the Irvine show. Took my wife who was not a Rush fan, only had heard a handful of radio tunes. I said to her, this is an event, not for the light hearted, it will be long and it will be great, but it might be tough if you don't know the music. I gave her a cd with 80% of the set list C about 2 months prior. We got to the parking lot at 5 and parked closest to the back of the stage-about 200+ yards away. Within minutes I could hear them doing Subdivisions for soundcheck. Chills hit me and I got an all over body buzz that never went away until 12:30 that night waiting to get out of the parking lot from hell.

The show was amazing. I have never seen so many fans all in sync with their love for the band and positive energy, it was surreal. I wept 5 separate times during the show just from pure joy and knowing this might be the last time I see them. I never stopped singing as the tears formed. I had crappy seats but it did not matter and it didn't matter to everyone in my section. Hard to put in to words how these shows really are and how they impact certain people, but for me it was a religious experience. The feeling inside was electric. It was like nothing I have felt. The time went by so quickly, I could have stood there another 3 hours and not noticed.

My wife was blown away at the musicianship, the feeling communicated through their music and band in general. She finally got what we have all known for the entire time. Magic. This is what life is all about.

I watched the entire Forum show on Periscope and got choked up again. Bill is the man for broadcasting the entire show.

Edited by Rockosmith
  • Like 3

Couldn't disagree more with the interpretations of Neil's behavior. He looked choked up to me. Ya'll make it sound like he flipped everyone off as he left.
  • Like 6

Not saying Neil flipped anyone off...and yes I've heard and read ad nauseum about Neils shyness...for 35 years now....I'm not even saying it was anything overt...it just looked a bit....dismissive...no where near as gracious as Lee and Lifeson....I feel to deny that is being a bit silly...IF its the last of Rush touring he takes pics...grins...and says bye bye...?... Can't hang with his buds and take it in a second more?... ok....

I've gotten pretty much "whatever" on this shyness thing...probably due to seeing dozens of others and meeting many handle it just a bit differently let's say.

• Like 1

Geddy said: "...and I do hope we'll meet again sometime."

11825646_1169677709724662_1260777285958326962_n.jpg?oh=947d0d1c7adca78198d2eea3d0df20ee&oe=5641170A

Neil was upset, look at his eyes! He left as quick as he could. I am sure he felt overwhelmed and vulnerable. It was not a dick move by any stretch. If you understand and accept Neils personality, you could easily understand this.

• Like 9

I was going to say I think that's an earlier gig... He may have reposted it... But I'm pretty sure I saw that shot before...

What did John Good say? I also didn't see the pic you are referencing from his riding partner

You can see it here:

https://instagram.com/p/535FRcAZ9_/

All I got was a blank page with "Instagram" in the upper left-hand corner.

Here it is:

20286530872_c20a47e45b_b.jpg

Thanks! :hug2:

The first question that popped into my head was: why is he walking ahead of and not with them?

• Like 1

What did John Good say? I also didn't see the pic you are referencing from his riding partner

You can see it here:

It's just the pic from the video at the end of the show where they're walking down the hall away from the camera.

• Like 1

You can see it here:

Here it is:

The first question that popped into my head was: why is he walking ahead of and not with them?

Gee, analyze much? :D

• Like 2

You can see it here:

Here it is:

Gee, analyze much? :D

Not at all. It was the first thing that popped into my head. :)

You can see it here:

Here it is:

Because he can't even pretend that bandmates of four decades are long awaited friends? ;)

• Like 1

You can see it here:

Here it is:

Because he can't even pretend that bandmates of four decades are long awaited friends? ;)

Yes, but let's look on the positive side. Maybe he had to go to the bathroom in a bad way.

• Like 2

You can see it here:

Here it is:

Yes, but let's look on the positive side. Maybe he had to go to the bathroom in a bad way.

Well, it is a narrow hallway so them walking 3 across might've been too tight.

Or maybe you're right that he was extra gassy that day. ;)

• Like 2

bought a Signals baseball shirt that night

My brother had a Signals baseball shirt, too! I remember him wearing it. He was about 16 at the time.

He was the one who made me into the Rush fiend that I am- starting when I was six years old. No lie. And I'm 42 now.

The first post in this thread was very emotional, just to read it. I wish I could have been at that L.A. show. But...I'm just grateful for everything the guys have given to us, over the course of their entire adult lives.

• Like 3

You can see it here:

Here it is:

When you look at the way they are positioned in this picture the first thing I've noticed about it it's that their heads are aligned almost exacly at the same height. They're equals. It's a very artsy picture with the light effects etc. I don't read too much extra in it other than that it's a crafted staging of three guys in a picture that's supposed to tell us "the show's over" and they're leaving the building... :(

• Like 3

To me, there was just an awkwardness to his demeanor, and that had to do with his social anxieties and shyness more than anything. I did not at feel he was sad or emotional. I think he was probably relieved it is over but also wanted to do something a little different to show everyone the reality of what this night was. Everyone trying to interpret what each member is thinking as it's happening is a bit much.

I would guess Geddy and Alex may have gotten a bit emotional afterwards. I think they had both held out hope of this not being the end, but they know what Neil was saying with all that and it probably sunk in afterwards.

You can see it here:

Here it is:

When you look at the way they are positioned in this picture the first thing I've noticed about it it's that their heads are aligned almost exacly at the same height. They're equals. It's a very artsy picture with the light effects etc. I don't read too much extra in it other than that it's a crafted staging of three guys in a picture that's supposed to tell us "the show's over" and they're leaving the building... :(

With Neil leading the way. ;)

Edited by Lorraine

To me, there was just an awkwardness to his demeanor, and that had to do with his social anxieties and shyness more than anything. I did not at feel he was sad or emotional. I think he was probably relieved it is over but also wanted to do something a little different to show everyone the reality of what this night was. Everyone trying to interpret what each member is thinking as it's happening is a bit much.

I would guess Geddy and Alex may have gotten a bit emotional afterwards. I think they had both held out hope of this not being the end, but they know what Neil was saying with all that and it probably sunk in afterwards.

:laughing guy: First you chide us for trying to interpret them, then you write: "I would guess Geddy and Alex may have gotten a bit emotional afterwards. I think they had both held out hope of this not being the end, but they know what Neil was saying with all that and it probably sunk in afterwards."

Can't help it, eh? :laughing guy: ;) ;)

I think Rush is going to make music as well...not just Geddy not just Alex...not just Geddy and Alex...but Rush with all 3....Neil has I think for a long time wished Rush to be a studio act...he has never publically really had a bad thing to say of the recording experience...and I believe that's the part he truly loves...and has documentd in words in tourbooks for years....I think he likes the creative firing of all cylinders thing...its the touring he hasn't really been wild about for 30 years...

My first show was Signals...my 2nd...g/p....my friends and I waited by the busses as teens...Alex and Geddy were friendly waving to all....Neil?... as soon as he was spotted coming out of the Civic Arena tunnel....he sprinted to the bus..no smile no wave..wearing a yellow shirt and braided ponytail...actually remember him looking afraid....that's long before his personal tradegies too....

The problem is there is no money in studio-only acts. From what I have heard, Rush breaks even on studio recordings, but the vast bulk of their profits coming from touring and merchandising. The economics of music even into the 1990s allowed for studio-only bands, but that day is long gone.

Part of me would love to believe Rush is just going to keep cranking out studio recordings for the love of the music and the fans. The realistic part of me thinks that Rush, save perhaps for the odd special occasion over the next four or five years, is done. Neil is going to ride off into the sunset, Alex is probably going to tinker around in the studio, maybe with Geddy. I think most people are agreed Geddy is still got some fire in his belly, so I'm pretty sure we'll see some solo output from him.

But if Rush continues to exist as an active unit at all, it will be at a very slow burn. Frankly, I hold out little hope of any new material or any new performances by them.

It's done, folks.

• Like 2