A Quote By Alex Lifeson

Union 5-3992

I was on rushisaband.com today and I saw a quote they featured from Eddie Trunk's interview with Alex Lifeson about 3 weeks ago

... I think in my gut that this is probably the last major tour that we'll do. I'd like to think that we'll do specialty gigs, maybe a week in New York or something like that. But we haven't even discussed that. We just want to get through this tour and see where we're at. We want to discuss whether we want to make another record anytime soon. ... Whatever this tour is, it's not the end of the band. It's just kind of reviewing where we're at in terms of major tours. ... Whatever it is - if it is the end of touring - I feel good that we're at least playing as well as we are, that we've developed a show that's really quite something in terms of our historical story and it's nice to go out on a note like that. ...

Though I don't hold his word as law, I think a lot of you are feeling too pessimistic about the future. I feel it's best just to admit we don't know what's going to happen. The band doesn't either. Whether they retire or not, I'll be happy I ever got to see them/hear them and I'll be happy if they do anything in the future.

• Like 16

Man, think of the mad rush (lol) to buy tickets for a short residency at MSG. That would be a stressful few minutes securing your spot at a show.

Yeah especially when we'd probably have to deal with Ticketmasterbastard in getting those tickets, even more stressful when you plan on going to more than one show in said residency tour.

I think it's gonna be quiet in the Rush camp for at least two or three years. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new album after that and a short tour of about 15 dates. Playing every other night on a tour that short means they'll only be on the road for a month. Even Neil could handle that.
  • Like 1

I'm always up for the Billy Joel schedule. Two shows a month indefinitely. Shake up the setlist a little every show

He's definitely doing the residency thing right.

I'm always up for the Billy Joel schedule. Two shows a month indefinitely. Shake up the setlist a little every show

Its great Joel could do that. He could get Hammerheaded at Mulcahys, hop on the LIRR at Wantagh right to the garden, very little rehearsing and put on a show.

For Rush, with their preparation they'd probably need to do a Gilmour type 15 show run, shorter setlist that would cut down rehearsal time, and the aches, multiple shows in major cities. Smaller stage production to fit in higher seating capacities. If we are verrrrrry lucky.

I'm dismayed that Alex ended both a sentence and a clause with the preposition 'at' twice in that one snippet.

It's a good thing he's not the lyricist!

I'm dismayed that Alex ended both a sentence and a clause with the preposition 'at' twice in that one snippet.

Hes only got his grade 10. It doesnt take rocket appliances ya know.

That's true; I didn't think about that.

I guess a lot of other times I've heard him speak, I wouldn't have guessed that- he seems like an intelligent fellow...

...except for where he puts his prepositions...at. :eyeroll:

:P

Hes only got his grade 10. It doesnt take rocket appliances ya know.

Does Neil have his grade 11? That must be how he functions at such a high level

• Like 1

"Jacob's Ladder is on the setlist" - Alex Lifeson, 2010.

"This tour isn't the end of the band" - Alex Lifeson, 2015.

"I need to get out of these stupid trackpants and get onstage" - Alex Lifeson, 2003.

"I need to get out of these stupid trackpants and get onstage" - Alex Lifeson, 2003.

How does my rug look?- Alex Lifeson July 2015

How does my rug look?- Alex Lifeson July 2015

http://i1.wp.com/www.brobible.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/barber-meme-what-you-want-hair-plugs.png?resize=636%2C918

• Like 1

I think it's gonna be quiet in the Rush camp for at least two or three years. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new album after that and a short tour of about 15 dates. Playing every other night on a tour that short means they'll only be on the road for a month. Even Neil could handle that.

I think a combo of these is the type of thing that we might see. A couple of years off and then shorter tours 15ish shows, but not every other night. I'd guess more along the Billy Joel model playing every so often at "special" places like Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Madison Square Garden etc.

I think a combo of these is the type of thing that we might see. A couple of years off and then shorter tours 15ish shows, but not every other night. I'd guess more along the Billy Joel model playing every so often at "special" places like Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Madison Square Garden etc.

I'd take that especially if it's on the east coast.

Let's see... They rehearse for over a month to do a tour, just to whittle sets down to fit into a three hour show, which they've been doing for 20 years now; they cannot book back to back nights anymore so Geddy's voice can rest and recover. Neil really wants to retire and has chronic elbow pain. Alex is developing arthritis. They've sold the publishing rights to their catalog.

I just don't see residency shows happening given what we know about how they prepare to play. I could see them recording then putting that new music on display in a handful of one off shows more so than doing residency dates. I really think that Geddy would go on forever. Alex dealing with arthritis presents the biggest physical issue, having seen Les Paul play in his 80s and 90s with gnarled arthritic fingers as a shadow of his primal self. Alex could not perform in the same way. Neil either. They are at an age when physical ailments worsen.

We already went through a period of no Rush and we all survived. This too is survivable. My gut tells me they would never formally announce a retirement which is why we get a 40th anniversary tour in the 41st year. Retirement fund. Everything about this tour including the way Geddy said goodbye, the setlists, the 40 years of goodbyes montage and even the "albums" partying on backstage without the band being invited ("f u c k you puppet!") is indicative of their retiring. "The show's over!..." "Bingo."

It's all right there. :)