Predictions about the Los Angeles Show and potential finality of it.

LeaveMyThingAlone

I don't doubt that the boys like to *think* about the possibility of future shows but the reality is going to be very difficult to pull off.

L.A. is the last thing on the RUSH calendar... for now.

• Like 1

So if they did get together for one more blow-out call it quits gig I am kinda thinking it could be @ the Gorge (WA) I think Neil gives it the edge over redrocks. But who knows and yes it is sad to think about all these unbelievable shows ending forever.... :(

I'm pretty sure if they ever have a final show it will be in Toronto.

They will never label an official farewell gig.

The last Rush show is this Saturday.

It's gonna be a blowout. :)

I guess you enjoy coming in and being the voice of distension? Putting a smiley at the end doesn't change the intention.

I guess you enjoy coming in and being the voice of distension? Putting a smiley at the end doesn't change the intention.

It's not as bad as coming in and pissing on other people's signed items, though. :) :) :)

• Like 1

It's not as bad as coming in and pissing on other people's signed items, though. :) :) :)

Well I guess if you can't make up a decent answer, you have to make stuff up. :) :) :)

• Like 1

Ok, so what is it that you do for the band? Are you on their staff? Drive a bus? Just curious of your creds.......

Personally....the last few tours to me felt like that was it, and we'll be lucky if they come back out/release another album, etc....I've taken them one at a time, and was glad they came out again..

• Like 2

Just read this in another topic:

Honestly, there are about a hundred other Rush songs I'd rather hear in LA than Losing It.

LOL, I honestly I have no idea why that song is so revered. And I love Signals. It's my fave Rush album. There are at least 5 other Signals tracks I'd rather hear than Losing It.

I have heard rumblings that the Forum gig will get an outta the blue shocker one-time-only deep cut. I've even heard what it might be. Hint. C.P. ;)

As usual he is talking out his arse.

I'm curious though to see if he's got this one right. Overall he's being a real killjoy here on the forum :(

i can imagine how you would feel that he is, but i don't find him a killjoy.

If his posts disturb you and what you are thinking will happen with Rush in the future, you can always put him on ignore.

It works...like magic.

I hear the discussion of future occasional shows, but I don't know. Each of these guys rehearses for a month alone before they get together to rehearse for a month as a band before each tour. And even with all of that rehearsal, look at how long it took them to round into shape this tour. The first 8 or 10 shows had some real rough patches. I love this band, but they're not known for leaving a lot up to chance for a show. Given that mindset, do these seem like guys who will just show up and play a few gigs? I just don't see anything that casual happening.

You hit the nail on the head. It's not just the shows, it's the time and effort to get into shape to play the shows. That has got to be much harder now at their ages. If Alex and Neil don't touch their instruments for 6-12 months after Saturday, it's hard to imagine them going through the grind again someday just for a handful of gigs. The motivation likely wouldn't outweigh the pain. They don't need more money, Alex has said he has no intention of embarrassing himself, and Neil has never cared for playing live anyway.

I'd prefer they record one more album over doing more live shows, but that also requires a lot of rehearsing and albums unfortunately don't make enough profit these days. So that seems unlikely too. It sucks, but all good things eventually come to an end. And this IS looking like the end. We still have the R40 video to look forward to though and hopefully there are other nuggets still in the vault.

• Like 1

I do think that if they're going to do another album, they'll do it soon while they're still in playing shape.

Well I guess if you can't make up a decent answer, you have to make stuff up. :) :) :)

Oh it's not made up. I could go back and quote your lame critiques of people's items - on at least three occasions, including mine - but I really don't feel like putting in the effort.

Probably didn't really intend to do it, right? :) :) :)

Ok, so what is it that you do for the band? Are you on their staff? Drive a bus? Just curious of your creds.......

Personally....the last few tours to me felt like that was it, and we'll be lucky if they come back out/release another album, etc....I've taken them one at a time, and was glad they came out again..

I may know a guy who knows a guy. But screw my cred. Those who haven't bothered to read the evidence at hand will find out soon enough. After Saturday, it's not gonna matter much.

Just read this in another topic:

Honestly, there are about a hundred other Rush songs I'd rather hear in LA than Losing It.

LOL, I honestly I have no idea why that song is so revered. And I love Signals. It's my fave Rush album. There are at least 5 other Signals tracks I'd rather hear than Losing It.

I have heard rumblings that the Forum gig will get an outta the blue shocker one-time-only deep cut. I've even heard what it might be. Hint. C.P. ;)

As usual he is talking out his arse.

I'm curious though to see if he's got this one right. Overall he's being a real killjoy here on the forum :(

i can imagine how you would feel that he is, but i don't find him a killjoy.

If his posts disturb you and what you are thinking will happen with Rush in the future, you can always put him on ignore.

It works...like magic.

He won't be able to see this since I'm on his ignore list, but...remember, goose here steals seats from paying patrons at Rush concerts.

I hear the discussion of future occasional shows, but I don't know. Each of these guys rehearses for a month alone before they get together to rehearse for a month as a band before each tour. And even with all of that rehearsal, look at how long it took them to round into shape this tour. The first 8 or 10 shows had some real rough patches. I love this band, but they're not known for leaving a lot up to chance for a show. Given that mindset, do these seem like guys who will just show up and play a few gigs? I just don't see anything that casual happening.

You hit the nail on the head. It's not just the shows, it's the time and effort to get into shape to play the shows. That has got to be much harder now at their ages. If Alex and Neil don't touch their instruments for 6-12 months after Saturday, it's hard to imagine them going through the grind again someday just for a handful of gigs. The motivation likely wouldn't outweigh the pain. They don't need more money, Alex has said he has no intention of embarrassing himself, and Neil has never cared for playing live anyway.

I'd prefer they record one more album over doing more live shows, but that also requires a lot of rehearsing and albums unfortunately don't make enough profit these days. So that seems unlikely too. It sucks, but all good things eventually come to an end. And this IS looking like the end. We still have the R40 video to look forward to though and hopefully there are other nuggets still in the vault.

A thoughtful and incisive post. And pretty much spot on.

• Like 2

Oh it's not made up. I could go back and quote your lame critiques of people's items - on at least three occasions, including mine - but I really don't feel like putting in the effort.

Why are you trying to pick a fight? I know I didn't do anything of the sort, so you are barking up the wrong tree with me.

Why are you trying to pick a fight? I know I didn't do anything of the sort, so you are barking up the wrong tree with me.

I have no interest in online flaming. But you definitely did do something of the sort. It got kind of annoying. So I stopped following your posts in the autograph thread.

You didn't have to sling mud at me first for the record. You could've just put me on ignore. But you chose to slag. So I responded with my own slag on your own forum etiquette since you felt the need to challenge mine.

• Like 1

I think that us as fans should just wait and see. Even if they quit touring now, I wouldn't be suprised if they or at least Alex and Geddy did something together in the future. I think both of them could record a fantastic album together, with or without Neil. Then maybe some shows in LA close to Neil's home so he could go home every night. Or maybe just one night. I'm sure fans from all over the globe would gladly pay for the tickets. Or maybe not. If this is it, it's been a fantastic run, and I wish I had been able to be a part of it before I was. I highly doubt that this is the last we'll hear from at least Geddy and Alex though. I say we should just let the next year play out and see what happens.... Meanwhile, got the new reissue of Moving Pictures to enjoy which I ordered from the local record store.

Sadder still to watch it die than never to have know it,

DES

Edited by DistantEarlySignals
  • Like 1

I have no interest in online flaming. But you definitely did do something of the sort. It got kind of annoying. So I stopped following your posts in the autograph thread.

You didn't have to sling mud at me first for the record. You could've just put me on ignore. But you chose to slag. So I responded with my own slag on your own forum etiquette since you felt the need to challenge mine.

Oh you're so sweet! I mean seriously. I love you too!

The key is the pain. If it's too much, then no way. But the band has said that's been blown out of proportion. The money issue is easy. R40 was way underpriced. The first 22 shows grossed $24M, with an ave ticket price of $85. Around the NE US, it was nearly impossible finding any ticket under $200 on the resale markets after the shows sold out.

If they were to use the Gilmour model, which Al has specifically cited, they could do 2/3 shows in each of the 4 big cities, easily gross $2M a show as the demand for tix would outweigh supply substantially in two years.

Another angle I haven't seen mentioned, is ole just last year dumped $25M on the publishing. Without touring pumping their radio/streaming, not sure how many Tom Sawyer commercials or guitar players that will pay for. Ole couldn't have been that short sighted, buy the publishing six months before they announce their retirement? Touring fuels radio, for example 10-20 years ago, all I heard on the radio was Van Hagar. Now all they play is Van Lee Roth. They must have had something in mind after R40 before paying that boatload of cash. Maybe Drummer Hero 2017 on x box. Maybe they turn BTLS into a screenplay. What an epic movie that would be! And what an opportunity for young musicians/actors.

But it all comes down to the ailments, which quote is true, total pain or blown out of proportion. If it's too much pain, then I happily said goodbye in June.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

I may know a guy who knows a guy. But screw my cred. Those who haven't bothered to read the evidence at hand will find out soon enough. After Saturday, it's not gonna matter much.

So basically you're just here to stir up shit...go away!

• Like 2

Why does it happen, because it happens. It is what it is, I don't expect athletes or actors I admired 30-40 years ago to still be kicking ass at the top of their game...if Saturday night is it the guys have earned their 'retirement' many times over and I wish them all the best.

I have a lifetime of memories of Rush shows I've attended and have all their music to enjoy until I'm in the ground.

• Like 4

ok so one final thought on this. They have said this is likely the last major tour of this size, what I am thinking is that if they come back around in the spring of 2016, it is still the same tour( I know picking at straws), however, the last graphic is 40+...much like the time machine tour where the clock ran forward at the end instead of backward...well here's hoping anyway.

ok so one final thought on this. They have said this is likely the last major tour of this size, what I am thinking is that if they come back around in the spring of 2016, it is still the same tour( I know picking at straws), however, the last graphic is 40+...much like the time machine tour where the clock ran forward at the end instead of backward...well here's hoping anyway.

That does seem like a sign of something. Certainly not a tour, but maybe they have some project up their sleeves. Maybe that Clockwork Angels film that Neil has been talking about. Or maybe an album. Who knows. The best thing for all of us to do, is to stop guessing (with or without backup proof), and just see what the band does. Even if they are talking now that it's the end, that still isn't final, sure, it's very likely, but to quote Neil's lyric in Prime Mover - 'Anything can happen'