Star Trek NG: Darmok

JohnRogers

these tamarians were supposidly as advanced as the federation. yet theyre never seen again.

not even in the dominion war.

A bunch of you are impressed with the episode. The Tamarians spoke phrases like "arms wide open" etc. yet is was difficult for the brillaint Enterprise crew to learn how to communicate with them. Daft as the Brits says?

Note, I don't take stuff like this too seriously. It's all in good fun. But, the episode explained this. If you don't know the details or the origin of the metaphor, how do you know the meaning?

:goodone:

"Juliet on the balcony." (Yearning love)

"Sherman marching to Atlanta." (Destroy everything you see)

"The Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria." (Explore new lands)

"Apollo in his chariot." (Sunrise)

"Winston Smith in Room 101." (Torture him)

Without any knowledge of Human culture or history, how could anyone correctly interpret these metaphors?

• Like 2

Darmok is a fantastic episode, if a little bit to condensed to properly convey its message. One of the most revered and memorable episodes of TNG. I'm shocked that anyone could consider it one of TNG's worst.

Yeah I don't get it either. When it aired, it was definitely considered one of the best episodes. I thought it was fascinating and different than the typical exploring type episode.

Darmok is a fantastic episode, if a little bit to condensed to properly convey its message. One of the most revered and memorable episodes of TNG. I'm shocked that anyone could consider it one of TNG's worst.

Yeah I don't get it either. When it aired, it was definitely considered one of the best episodes. I thought it was fascinating and different than the typical exploring type episode.

I've seen since this thread started it is on many "best" lists. For me it feels like a TOS retread, maybe I'd have enjoyed it better with Kirk.

I've seen since this thread started it is on many "best" lists. For me it feels like a TOS retread, maybe I'd have enjoyed it better with Kirk.

If it was Kirk, he would've been fighting with the rubber monster. Or maybe the hot babe in spandex.

• Like 2

I loved Darmok (and Jillad at Tanagra, on the ocean, his arms open wide, etc.). It's just a variation of Enemy Mine, which is all riffing on Gilgamesh.

...there is no new thing under the sun. - Shakespeare (as riffed from Ecclesiastes)

Inner Light is the reason I fell in love with TNG. It is a gold standard episode for me and one of the finest pieces of writing I have seen on television.

:)

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 2

It is likely I have seen Inner Light as I'm going back through the series for the second time. At the moment I don't recall but I'm in season five so I'll see it soon.

I was advised by a friend to not watch the entirety of TNG. He gave me a list of specific episodes he thought were highlights, and I watched them all and they were great. Should I go back and start from episode 1?

Honestly I'd watch from season 3 onward, that's when they started to hit their stride. Season 1 was hit or miss, and in season 2, Dr. Crusher is replaced by another doctor and she's not nearly as good.

• Like 2

I was advised by a friend to not watch the entirety of TNG. He gave me a list of specific episodes he thought were highlights, and I watched them all and they were great. Should I go back and start from episode 1?

IMO, Season 1 was horrible. Full of pretentious acting and background music, and unoriginal plotlines. Troi was portrayed as an overly emotional bleeding heart. View that Season at your own risk! :huh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

Oh no, Season One is fantastic! They remade The Naked Time! They killed a major character (Tasha Yar)! The sets, scenery, costumes and sounds all held very closely to the original, but are updated to reflect a few decade difference. Season One was closest to Roddenberry's vision, I think.

Sure you have to deal with Wesley (Weasley) - but he's not so bad really.

And, I liked Dr. Pulaski (after she got off her high horse about Data). I prefer a ship doctor who challenges the captain. Dr. Beverly and Picard had this weird history and he felt all this guilt for sending Wesley's dad Jack, (Picard's best friend) to his death while he had a crush on his wife. I think Crusher was good, but Pulaski was a better doctor.

Inner Light is season six. The episodes had started to become a little hit and miss by this point in the run, imo. Berman/Bragga influence.

• Like 1

Oh no, Season One is fantastic! They remade The Naked Time! They killed a major character (Tasha Yar)! The sets, scenery, costumes and sounds all held very closely to the original, but are updated to reflect a few decade difference. Season One was closest to Roddenberry's vision, I think.

And, I liked Dr. Pulaski (after she got off her high horse about Data). I prefer a ship doctor who challenges the captain. Dr. Beverly and Picard had this weird history and he felt all this guilt for sending Wesley's dad Jack, (Picard's best friend) to his death while he had a crush on his wife. I think Crusher was good, but Pulaski was a better doctor.

Inner Light is season six. The episodes had started to become a little hit and miss by this point in the run, imo. Berman/Bragga influence.

I think you're in the minority in your views about season one and two. Back when the show was airing there was a lot of criticism about those two seasons in particular.

• Like 1

Season 1 suffered from being compared to the Original Series. Personally, I think it was too similiar in tone to the Original Series. It simply wasn't as good. Season 2, if my memory is correct, suffered from a writer's strike and they had to recycle scripts from the aborted 1970's Star Trek series. Season 3, the growning pains passed and a great television show emerged.
  • Like 2

I think you're in the minority in your views about season one and two. Back when the show was airing there was a lot of criticism about those two seasons in particular.

To be fair, Season 1 did improve somewhat in the later episodes. It still didn't get much respect (at least from me).

The producers and writers started out badly, but they did learn from their mistakes. Season 2 was much better, IMO, and it just kept getting better after that.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of most of 1 or 2. Picard especially was really awkward early on. Troi was also very stiff early on. It took time to build chemistry. Season 3 on is really good.

• Like 1

Season 3 also had Yesterday's Enterprise. One of the best Star Trek episodes, all series included, ever.

That was a great episode, especially how they brought back Denise Crosby.

• Like 2

Season 3's Who Watches the Watchers was the episode that convinced me TNG was moving out of the shadow of TOS.

"The Picard"

Great stuff.

I agree. That is one of my favorites. TNG was getting really strong at that point and the writing was great.

I notice that misstated the Inner Light season. Per Memory Alpha:

"Captain's log, Stardate 45944.1. Following a magnetic wave survey of the Parvenium sector, we have detected an object which we cannot immediately identify."

Stardate 45944 - that's late in season 5.

I could have sworn it was season 6. Then again, I can't believe it was 25 years ago. :o :codger: