Star Trek NG: Darmok

JohnRogers

http://blogs.baylor.edu/stephen_reid/files/2010/09/darmok-and-jalad-at-tanagra-demotivational-poster-1249904439.jpg
  • Like 1

I liked this episode. In a universe where all the aliens speak flawless English (the "universal translator" is a cop out), this episode was unique.

I love the Next Generation. One of my favorites television shows of all-time.

I liked this episode. In a universe where all the aliens speak flawless English (the "universal translator" is a cop out), this episode was unique.

Much like some of Neil's experiments with lyrics that didn't quite pan out but can be appreciated for the effort and premise, I love it just for the thought provoking nature of the episode. Communicating with an alien species may be nearly impossible.

Communicating with an alien species may be nearly impossible.

We can't even communicate with the "lesser" species on our own planet. Communicating with a sentient species on another planet would be miraculous!

Dolphins for example, are a bit of a challenge.

But there is Jane Goodall's ape who knows sign language... and passed it down to her young. So never say never.. Amazing things can happen.

Edited by grep

One of my favorites from the series. I also really enjoy Inner Light.

Inner light is right up there with the best Sci-Fi episodes ever. It is easily, IMHO, the best TNG episode. The one with Picard captured on Cardassia "THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS!!" is a close second.

But nothing for me comes close to "The City On The Edge Of Forever", from TOS. A timeless classic, tearjerker.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

But nothing for me comes close to "The City On The Edge Of Forever", from TOS. A timeless classic, tearjerker.

You want tears? Kirk and his dying wife, Miramanee, will give you tears.... :( :( :(

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QO5ht-ibQ2w/UjyKz21ajBI/AAAAAAAASdk/Il5sZWu9bJI/s1600/Miramanee+1.png

The Paradise Syndrome (1968)

• Like 3

You want tears? Kirk and his dying wife, Miramanee, will give you tears.... :( :( :(

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QO5ht-ibQ2w/UjyKz21ajBI/AAAAAAAASdk/Il5sZWu9bJI/s1600/Miramanee+1.png

Yes. It's a great episode for sure.

• Like 1

I think it is one of the most clever eps of the series. When it first aired it got a lot of praise and I can understand why.

Yes. It's a great episode for sure.

I am KIROK!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

One of my favorites from the series. I also really enjoy Inner Light.

Inner light is right up there with the best Sci-Fi episodes ever. It is easily, IMHO, the best TNG episode. The one with Picard captured on Cardassia "THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS!!" is a close second.

That was Chain of Command. Another great one. Kirk was great in the city on the edge of forever.

• Like 1

Dolphins for example, are a bit of a challenge.

But there is Jane Goodall's ape who knows sign language... and passed it down to her young. So never say never.. Amazing things can happen.

All I can think of is "so long and thanks for all the fish."

• Like 1

these tamarians were supposidly as advanced as the federation. yet theyre never seen again.

not even in the dominion war.

A bunch of you are impressed with the episode. The Tamarians spoke phrases like "arms wide open" etc. yet is was difficult for the brillaint Enterprise crew to learn how to communicate with them. Daft as the Brits says?

these tamarians were supposidly as advanced as the federation. yet theyre never seen again.

A bunch of you are impressed with the episode. The Tamarians spoke phrases like "arms wide open" etc. yet is was difficult for the brillaint Enterprise crew to learn how to communicate with them. Daft as the Brits says?

No one is perfect, I guess! That's why Picard & Co. are on the Federation's Flagship; they're slightly less daft than the rest of Starfleet.....:LOL:

I just watched Conundrum and enjoyed it. Funny how it ends though, Riker is not getting laid tonight.

They're all getting laid on the holo deck every night.

I know, how is that not happening!?!

Note, I don't take stuff like this too seriously. It's all in good fun. But, the episode explained this. If you don't know the details or the origin of the metaphor, how do you know the meaning?

It's fun to nitpick, but sometime you have to suspend your disbelief for entertainment and understanding the theme.

Jeez.