Guitars are the prettiest rock/pop music instrument...

toymaker

Which instrument would you marry?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most attractive instrument?

• Guitars
    • Basses
    • Drums
    • Other

My BC Rich Eagle - circa 1979 or 1980 ... BC Rich serial numbers are a challenge to figure out .... Be that as it may, I have had this baby since 1981 .....

http://s26.postimg.org/ksjyigp2x/BC_Rich_01.jpg

I've always liked the older BC Rich's. That looks like a particularly nice one.

• Like 1

My problem is I buy 'em but I can't bear to part with 'em. Not that many of them are worth anything anyway. I don't have a huge budget for instruments. The most I spent was for my Takamine acoustic and my Nashville Tele, but it's Mexican. I have a bunch of Epiphone stuff. I don't really trust buying stuff online.

If I actually played more, maybe I could justify some more purchases. But a new concrete driveway is going to put the kibosh on instruments for a while. I'm rambling! It's late, and it's time to turn in. If you're piggybacking on the Vegas show tomorrow night, I'll catch you then!

I don't have much trouble selling an instrument if there's something that doesn't fit me or that I don't like about it and I can't change easily. Something like neck width or weight or how it hangs on the strap while standing. I've had upwards of 30+ basses over the past 40 years or so and enjoyed most of them but my favorite by far has been this last Sadowsky. It's just my perfect bass.

If you don't mind my asking - these basses seem to be in the range of 4 grand or so? Is that about right? I do play professionally, as in I'm in a band that gets regular gigs, but we're just a bar band playing once or twice a month, and I don't normally crack more than 80 or 100 bucks after a gig, when everything gets sorted. Money of course, is not the only consideration - there's the pleasure of just playing the instrument, or course - but since I think I plateau'd years ago, I'm just not sure. Do you reckon the Sadowsky has helped you to achieve something greater?

Not sure what you mean exactly. Are you asking if it helped me play better, make more money at gigs or just get more enjoyment out of the instrument? I guess I'd have to say yes to all of those things.

Yeah, sort of like that - like the bass is just so great to play that you sort of achieve things (chops, groove, pocket, inspiration, what have you) more easily with it.

My problem is I buy 'em but I can't bear to part with 'em. Not that many of them are worth anything anyway. I don't have a huge budget for instruments. The most I spent was for my Takamine acoustic and my Nashville Tele, but it's Mexican. I have a bunch of Epiphone stuff. I don't really trust buying stuff online.

If I actually played more, maybe I could justify some more purchases. But a new concrete driveway is going to put the kibosh on instruments for a while. I'm rambling! It's late, and it's time to turn in. If you're piggybacking on the Vegas show tomorrow night, I'll catch you then!

I don't have much trouble selling an instrument if there's something that doesn't fit me or that I don't like about it and I can't change easily. Something like neck width or weight or how it hangs on the strap while standing. I've had upwards of 30+ basses over the past 40 years or so and enjoyed most of them but my favorite by far has been this last Sadowsky. It's just my perfect bass.

If you don't mind my asking - these basses seem to be in the range of 4 grand or so? Is that about right? I do play professionally, as in I'm in a band that gets regular gigs, but we're just a bar band playing once or twice a month, and I don't normally crack more than 80 or 100 bucks after a gig, when everything gets sorted. Money of course, is not the only consideration - there's the pleasure of just playing the instrument, or course - but since I think I plateau'd years ago, I'm just not sure. Do you reckon the Sadowsky has helped you to achieve something greater?

Not sure what you mean exactly. Are you asking if it helped me play better, make more money at gigs or just get more enjoyment out of the instrument? I guess I'd have to say yes to all of those things.

Yeah, sort of like that - like the bass is just so great to play that you sort of achieve things (chops, groove, pocket, inspiration, what have you) more easily with it.

Oh absolutely. It fits me. It also has a slightly narrower nut width (1.45"), a smaller jazz style body, an active/passive circuit and an adjustable mid boost or cut switch and it only weighs 7.3 lbs. All of those things add up to a bass that helps me to play the best I can play on it.

• Like 1

There's not much competition is there really? Keyboards (an oblong box with black and white keys). drums (a collection of cylinders), basses (bigger uglier version of a guitar), saxes/horns (overly complex brass object).
  • Like 1

There's not much competition is there really? Keyboards (an oblong box with black and white keys). drums (a collection of cylinders), basses (bigger uglier version of a guitar), saxes/horns (overly complex brass object).

Oh, I don't know - all things can be artfully arranged and make use of beautiful materials and colour; sometimes, as well, the look of a thing is linked in your psyche to a particular time and place, a certain sound, all that stuff. Beauty is not just in the eye of the beholder.

Oh, I don't know - all things can be artfully arranged and make use of beautiful materials and colour; sometimes, as well, the look of a thing is linked in your psyche to a particular time and place, a certain sound, all that stuff. Beauty is not just in the eye of the beholder.

And what's the length of a piece of string? That should be your next thread.

Well, you can start that one. I'm just looking to get people's thoughts; I'm not trying to get the final, definitive truth or anything like that.

Also, the length of a piece of string is the precise quantitative measurement ranging between its two end points, assuming that the material is not being acted upon by external forces affecting its tensile properties.

Well, you can start that one. I'm just looking to get people's thoughts; I'm not trying to get the final, definitive truth or anything like that.

Also, the length of a piece of string is the precise quantitative measurement ranging between its two end points, assuming that the material is not being acted upon by external forces affecting its tensile properties.

Yeah but that's not exact enough, we still don't know. That's too vague.

Sure, but you used an indefinite article, not a definite article. The answer is always going to be as generic as your question.

Sure, but you used an indefinite article, not a definite article. The answer is always going to be as generic as your question.

All I know is a guitar looks better than a keyboard, can you dispute this?

All I know is a guitar looks better than a keyboard, can you dispute this?

Usually, no. I've seen some awesome-looking pipe organs, though. Unfortunately, I can't hang one of those on my wall. :( Also, I'm biased. I love guitars.

If you are ever in Phoenix, carve out some time to visit the Museum of Musical Instruments. It is an absolutely beautiful collection of instruments - guitars included - from around the world. Percussion was the best, though. So much variety and innovation
  • Like 3

If you are ever in Phoenix, carve out some time to visit the Museum of Musical Instruments. It is an absolutely beautiful collection of instruments - guitars included - from around the world. Percussion was the best, though. So much variety and innovation

Sounds like an interesting place.

• Like 1

Sounds like an interesting place.

http://mim.org/exhibits/collection/geographical-galleries/

Above is a link to what i really enjoyed, which is a geographical tour of the music of the world. Room by room you see the evolution of music continent by continent, country by country.

"Enter the Musical Instrument Museum and embark on a magical journey around the globe. MIM’s collection is presented in Geographical Galleries that focus on five major world regions. These are:

• The Africa and Middle East Gallery, which displays instruments and artifacts from sub-Saharan, North African, and Middle Eastern nations.
  • The Asia and Oceania Gallery, which features instruments from countries and island groups in five sub-galleries devoted to regions of East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, and Central Asia and the Caucasus.
  • The Europe Gallery, where guests encounter instruments ranging from an antique charter horn and a foot-operated drum kit to a child’s vessel flute.
  • The Latin America Gallery , which features instruments and ensembles displayed in three sub-galleries: South America; Central America and Mexico; and the Caribbean.
  • The United States/Canada Gallery, where guests can observe the diverse array of instruments that shaped the North American musical landscape, including the Appalachian dulcimer, sousaphone, ukulele, and electric guitar. Special exhibits focus on iconic American musical-instrument manufacturers, including Fender, Martin, and Steinway."

• Like 1

Here's a few guitars I've had/have. PRS first...

Those PRS guitars are beautiful. I used to have a Custom 22. Purple "10 top" with birds. Best guitar I ever owned. I took it to a PRS clinic in Nashville and Paul himself replaced the Dragon 1 pickups with Dragon 2s' and installed Abalone tuning keys on it. No charge and he let me keep the old pickups. Those pickups are now in a 1977 Les Paul lawsuit copy Crestwood. He also autographed the back cavity cover in gold sharpie. That cover is displayed in my office.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 2

Those PRS guitars are beautiful. I used to have a Custom 22. Purple "10 top" with birds. Best guitar I ever owned. I took it to a PRS clinic in Nashville and Paul himself replaced the Dragon 1 pickups with Dragon 2s' and installed Abalone tuning keys on it. No charge and he let me keep the old pickups. Those pickups are now in a 1977 Les Paul lawsuit copy Crestwood. He also autographed the back cavity cover in gold sharpie. That cover is displayed in my office.

Very cool. :)

My BC Rich Eagle - circa 1979 or 1980 ... BC Rich serial numbers are a challenge to figure out .... Be that as it may, I have had this baby since 1981 .....

schweeet!

My Ibanez Artist is about the same age. My first electric. I'll probably get buried with it someday.

I find it interesting on how products and styles change so much through the years. But you still can buy the same strat or les paul that's pretty much the same as it was in the 50s (I'm referring mainly to body shape...yes I'm aware the electronics have changed/improved).

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the cavity cover.

http://www.jd-photography.net/pics/IMG_2510.JPG

• Like 2

Guitars are nicer to look at than basses, drums, or keyed instruments.

Sure, drums are interesting to look at, and some basses have a certain appeal, but nothing beats the classic look of a fine-lookin' geetar.

As a whole I agree with you, but I have definitely seen beautiful basses and drum sets myself. Keyboards, on the other hand..... :doh: :P

That is an awesome story!
  • Like 1

schweeet!

My Ibanez Artist is about the same age. My first electric. I'll probably get buried with it someday.

I find it interesting on how products and styles change so much through the years. But you still can buy the same strat or les paul that's pretty much the same as it was in the 50s (I'm referring mainly to body shape...yes I'm aware the electronics have changed/improved).

I love the Artists - when I start looking for a new member for the family, I think I will go with the Artist ...

What is the finish of your 2112FS ?? .. I like 'em all, esp the white - the sunburst is great too

I still have the Ibanez catalog from 1978 my Dad brought home one day ... They made some incredible guitars back then

• Like 1

schweeet!

I love the Artists - when I start looking for a new member for the family, I think I will go with the Artist ...

What is the finish of your 2112FS ?? .. I like 'em all, esp the white - the sunburst is great too

I still have the Ibanez catalog from 1978 my Dad brought home one day ... They made some incredible guitars back then

It's a Cherry Sunburst, although the sunburst is really subtle. This is just like mine, but mine doesn't have the metal covered pickups.

http://www.ebay.com/...tem51d59e431fha

Mine's a 1981. Heavy as hell and hard to play for more than an hour and a half. But the weight is what makes the sustain. Totally stock. The pickups are more than ballsy so I never felt the need to change them. Worked like a dog all summer to pay $600 for it back in 81, which was alot for a guitar back then.

I just checked the pictures in that ebay ad and that one is an 1982, so it's closer to mine that I thought. Funny that the old gear that I just kept these years is starting to be considered 'vintage'. For Ibanez the year is the first 2 numbers in the serial number.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

schweeet!

It's a Cherry Sunburst, although the sunburst is really subtle. This is just like mine, but mine doesn't have the metal covered pickups.

Mine's a 1981. Heavy as hell and hard to play for more than an hour and a half. But the weight is what makes the sustain. Totally stock. The pickups are more than ballsy so I never felt the need to change them. Worked like a dog all summer to pay $600 for it back in 81, which was alot for a guitar back then.

I just checked the pictures in that ebay ad and that one is an 1982, so it's closer to mine that I thought. Funny that the old gear that I just kept these years is starting to be considered 'vintage'. For Ibanez the year is the first 2 numbers in the serial number.

Beautiful - I love the Artists

The Artist double neck with the Tree Of Life inlay is one of the most magnificent guitars ever .... I really like that inlay, similar to the Alvarez 5056 acoustic ..

Some of the guitars from Japan from that time are incredible

My friend has a Burny Randy Rhoads Les Paul - it is amazing

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

schweeet!

Beautiful - I love the Artists

The Artist double neck with the Tree Of Life inlay is one of the most magnificent guitars ever .... I really like that inlay, similar to the Alvarez 5056 acoustic ..

Some of the guitars from Japan from that time are incredible

My friend has a Burny Randy Rhoads Les Paul - it is amazing

nice. yeah ibanez were kicking gibson in the arse back then. the les pauls around that time were really crap.

One of the guitars on my wish list is an artist semi-hollow. They're not much bigger than my solid body artist.

Now ibanez is kind of in a weird place. either making really high end niche guitars or low end cheap crap.

I read an article on John Frusciante recently and he said he's recording with a bunch of early 80s yamahas and ibanezes. Just wanted a totally different direction and feel from the strats.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet