Are You a Yes Fan?

SheriffJohnBrown

What are your favorite studio albums from Yes? Feel free to list all the ones you've heard in order. ABWH not included.

Fragile

The Yes Album

Close to the Edge

Drama

Relayer

Going For the One

Tales From Topographic Oceans

Magnification

The Ladder

Union

Big Generator

This one was REALLY tough, and it could change:

1. Tales From Topographic Oceans (far and away their best - one of my favorite all time albums by any group)

2. Time and a Word (a criminally overlooked and underrated album - beautiful stuff)

3. Tormato - (their best of the late 70's - stunning release)

4. The Yes Album (so many classic songs!)

5. Close to the Edge (some of their best long suites)

6. Fragile (often considered their best - not by me, but still truly great)

7. Going for the One (not quite the heights they'd reach on Tormato, but still a wonderful album - wondrous stories is so beautiful)

8. 90125 (took this album awhile to grow on me - their last great album I've heard)

9. Relayer (a disappointment after the magnificent Tales - great playing, but lacking melody)

10. Yes (very good, but they hadn't quite found their sound yet)

11. Drama (NO Jon Anderson??? yikes, what were they thinking?! still halfway decent considering...)

12. The Big Generator (no thanks)

Edit:

Fragile

The first Yes album I heard with open ears and it remains my favorite. I can never get past the magic of this lineup, especially the spirited AND rocking organs of Wakey. Every song on this album kicks my ass, even after 50 listens.

The Yes Album

Nearly the same experience as Fragile. This has some of Yes' most unique songs (A Venture, The Clap) in addition to being the cornerstone of early Yes and the disputed beginning of their "progressive" era.

Close to the Edge

IMO the pinnacle of Yes. At this point they had a perfect blend of melody, complexity and ROCK. The title cut is my favorite, with Siberian Khatru in second. A flawless album in the Yes catalogue.

Drama

Jon Anderson's writing skills were beginning to deteriote at this time (for reference read the lyrics to Circus of Heaven and Arriving UFO), but it was far from natural that the elf/falcetto voice of Yes leave the group, of which he had been a founding member and frontman throughout their success in the 70's. With Trevor Horn taking lead vox, Yes surprisingly released a progressive masterpiece. With Machine Messiah as the breathtaking opener, Yes went in new and twisted directions on Drama. Their finest moment in years.

Relayer

On Relayer, Yes became too complex for their own good. With the stunning Patrick Moraz on keyboards, they also managed to incorporate a strong fusion moment, Sound Chaser, next to the epic Gates of Delirium.

I never settled in with Tales. It's often hailed as Yes' greatest achievement and a "prog" masterpiece. It also pissed off Rick Wakeman so much that the songs were extended to fit four album sides that he left the group (temporarily). I could never appreciate this album from Tales followers' point of view because I always fell asleep in the middle. Nonetheless a more than worthy album.

Going For the One

This album always leaves me cold. The title track is, IMO, one of Yes' most creative moments, along with Turn of the Century and Awaken.

The only pop album from Yes that I listen to AND enjoy on a regular basis. Not comparible to original Yes, but worthy of 80's AOR.

Tormato

Yes deserves to be pummeled with rotten tomatoes simply for the tasteless, pathetic attempt at an "unwimpy" band portrait on the back cover. Stick with the robes, kimonos, and hemp clothing for God's sake! Anyway. One can see the train-wreck Circus of Heaven as unforgiveable, or Chris Squire's On the Silent Wings of Freedom as unforgettable. Nevertheless, Tormato has a few classic songs and some of Yes' best playing and production.

Magnification

Don't Go...horrid! *shudder*

The Ladder

I absolutely HATE Jon Elferson's vocals on this album and with ABWH. It's like 80's adult alternative meets other ballsless music and then gets put in a blender with "progressive" song structure.

Union

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's quite enjoyable, actually. The problem is it just ain't that good.

Big Generator

Refer to two word review of Spinal Tap's Shark Sandwich.

A wonderful band.

The Yes Album

Fragile

Relayer

Close to the Edge

Tormato

Going For the One

Tales from Topographic Oceans

Yes

Drama

Magnification

Time and a Word

Union

Talk

The Ladder

Big Generator

Keystudio (also available on Keys to Ascension 1 & 2)

Open Your Eyes - a thundering disgrace of an album.

Live Albums

Yessongs

Keys to Ascension 1 & 2

House of Blues

Yesshows

9012live - one of the worst

Close To the Edge

Fragile

The Yes Album

Relayer

Going For The One

Drama

Tormato

Big Generator

Magnification

Time And A Word

The Ladder

Yes

Union

Talk

Keystudio

Open Your Eyes

Close To The Edge

Fragile

90125 and 9012live

Yessongs

...is all I heard yet. My dad has tonnes of others so I might check them out.

However, Jon and Vangelis's album "The Friends of Mister Cairo" is fantastic.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 21 2005, 08:14 AM)
Big Generator
Refer to two word review of Spinal Tap's Shark Sandwich.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

My favourite ever review was one of a crappy disco song in the late 80s called Let's Dance (not, I hasten to add, the Bowie song of the same name). The review simply read "Let's not".

Back on topic, while I don't have the same breadth of knowledge of Yes as the rest of you, I must acknowledge a deep love for Tormato. (Particularly Future Times/Rejoice).

I'm listening a lot to Tales.... on Goob's recommendation, and will post mt thoughts soon.

1. Tales From Topographic Oceans (far and away their best - one of my favorite all time albums by any group)

Amen to that.

I saw that tour and I also saw them tour Relayer.

I own all their stuff upto and including Totmato. After that I know nothing.

I own the Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe album and also the VHS Video that was released at the same time. Has anyone see the performance of "Heart of the Sunrise" on there? Sends shivers up my spine every time I see it.

Awesome band.

Oh yeah...in order.

Going For The One (Listened to "Turn of the Century" midnight 1999)

Close To The Edge

Relayer

Fragile

Tormato

Yessongs (I bought it with my first pay packet)

The Yes Album

Big Generator

Yes

yes.gif is one of my favorite bands ... right there with RUSH ... seen them many times ... all the different line ups ... also, I love all of these albums.

OH ... and I do love the 80s CDs .... Big Generator isn't the best yes.gif album but still blows away most of the crap we had to choose from in the late 80s. yes.gif

Close to the Edge

The yes.gif Album

Fragile

Going For The One

Magnification

Big Generator

Relayer

" yes.gif "

Time & A Word

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe

Drama

Keys To Ascension (Studio Tracks considered only)

Keys To Ascension II ( Same as above)

The Ladder

Union

Tormato

Talk

Open Your Eyes

I have always liked YES. But don't have too many albums, and haven't actually heard most of them.

My favourite is (and someone is going to say - yuk, coz its not the original line up) 90125

I like all of this album and bought it when it first came out. I don't play it now, as I have no turntable any more, and don't have the CD

I also like Relayer, and Going for the One is a classic.

Rick Wakeman is a Man City fan, and nearly bought the club about 15 yrs ago. trink39.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's such a big fan of Tales (though there aren't a lot of us). I can understand why some people wouldn't like it though. Handling one twenty minute song can be a lot to ask of a casual prog fan, much less four of them, and I think you have to be a really pretty hardcore 70's progressive fan to handle it and really appreciate it. It took me awhile myself to get through the whole thing because it's just so long. Then there's the lyrics. Yes have never had the clearest, simplest lyrics by a long shot. They're very unique in that their lyrics are often spiritual in a way, which I think is a great deal of their appeal. That being said, the lyrics on Tales are at their most spiritually cryptic and surreal - besides isolated moments like "I must have waited all my life for this moment," the rest of it can be somewhat obtuse to say the least, and it doesn't have the radio-friendly catchiness of some of their other more well-known songs. I love this album for all these reasons - I love that they pull off 4 20-minute songs so magnificently without getting boring or it feeling forced. Not many musicians could pull this off, but of course that was one of the main things progressive music was all about - complex, involved music and great musicianship. I find the lyrics really beautiful - admittedly they're extremely non-linear, so if you need a recognizable easy to sing along with verse-chorus-verse, you won't find it here. I still maintain it's by far the best thing they've ever done, not to mention one of the very best progressive albums of teh 70's. It takes patience to get into, but IMHO, it's well worth it.

Madra, I look forward to your further thoughts on it...

Peace,

Gary

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 9 2005, 08:46 PM)
I can understand why some people wouldn't like it though. Handling one twenty minute song can be a lot to ask of a casual prog fan, much less four of them, and I think you have to be a really pretty hardcore 70's progressive fan to handle it and really appreciate it. It took me awhile myself to get through the whole thing because it's just so long.

That's not why I don't like it. I don't like it because it doesn't hold my attention...I've listened to so much symph prog that more of the same stuff is to me just "zzzzzzz."

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Oct 9 2005, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 9 2005, 08:46 PM)
I can understand why some people wouldn't like it though.  Handling one twenty minute song can be a lot to ask of a casual prog fan, much less four of them, and I think you have to be a really pretty hardcore 70's progressive fan to handle it and really appreciate it.  It took me awhile myself to get through the whole thing because it's just so long.

That's not why I don't like it. I don't like it because it doesn't hold my attention...I've listened to so much symph prog that more of the same stuff is to me just "zzzzzzz."

it didn't hold my attention at first either, it took awhile - it was a grower...

I always liked YES, but I honestly don't know the albums good enough to rate them. It's been a few years before I had all their albums at one time.

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Aug 21 2005, 01:01 AM)
I saw YES live once during the 90125 tour..

Sorry to hear that

Archived