Any younger/newer Rush fans feel "late to the party?"

MeanMeanPride

I'm 26 years old, raised in a "Rush" household, Rush was my first concert, etc, etc. Like many of you I have experienced some sadness about the supposed end of Rush's large-scale touring. But for me it is a little bit different. It is hard to get over the fact that I missed the golden age, the "peak." (Not by my own doing, mind you...I wasn't around). The R40 tour feels to me like a premature end, simply because of my age.

I overheard some older Rush fans (complete with matching Hemispheres tour shirts) at the Austin show talking about how nostalgic this all was for them. I remember thinking how for me, this is a very new experience, unlike the older fans. Don't get me wrong - the boys are still rocking and are unbelievable musicians, and it is a true privilege to have had the opportunity to see them as many times as I have. But I'm still a little bummed out that I don't "own" this band the way 70's and 80's fans do.

I often catch myself wondering..."What will I do when Rush stops making music?" What "newer" group or artist will be the band that I get into, play for my kids, and follow around for 40 years? I think the answer is: there won't be one. Rush is such a singular experience, which is why they are so special and worthy of our attention. And that kind of makes me sad too.

Anyway, here we go. Young/New Rush Thread.

• Like 3

Well, discs last forever. So you have that. There are many bands i loved but never got to see even once. At least you got to see them
  • Like 1

Well, discs last forever. So you have that. There are many bands i loved but never got to see even once. At least you got to see them

Exactly. This is what I always come back to. I ought to just be happy I saw them as many times as I have.

• Like 1

I often catch myself wondering..."What will I do when Rush stops making music?" What "newer" group or artist will be the band that I get into, play for my kids, and follow around for 40 years?

Yes?... :)
  • Like 2

Yes. I have known of their hits for many years but didn't come to appreciate the deep stuff until 2, 3 years ago only. So I missed out on greatness in its prime, which ticks me off. But I am grateful that I came to my senses soon enough to enjoy these last two tours anyway. :)
  • Like 5

Yeah, I am a bit angry at my self for not understand how great they was until 2011.

I missed both the R30 Tour and Snakes & Arrows Tour (and now even R40 Tour I guess...).

I only missed those tours, since R30 Tour was the first tour, since Hemispheres Tour that Rush was in my country. So I guess it´s not much I have missed really...

I'm an 'older' Rush fan and feel late to the party. Seen every tour since HYF but wish I had seen them on a 70s tour. I'm sure that there are plenty of fans that saw Rush on the Hemispheres tour that wish they had seen them on the 2112 tour.

The important thing is that you got on the bus and got to see them live. Fast forward a few years, there will be many fans just tuning into Rush and jealous that you got to see them in the flesh.

• Like 3

At 22 I feel late to the party. First concert of four was 2010 TM. Would've been cool to know about them during the S&A tour.

But I feel for those even younger than me.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people feel like they were late to the party if they missed any big section of their music or touring. I feel like that because I kind of dropped away from the band for a while even though my first show was Hemispheres.
  • Like 2

I can relate to this thread, I so wish I had found them earlier. My sister was the big fan of them from the get go (she's a bit younger than me) but I didn't get them at all. I don't really know if I would have learned to like them had I gone with her to some of their concerts but I was her older sis and she wanted to hang out with her friends, not cool enough for them, hah.

I took her to R30 for her birthday and it was good. But for some reason she didn't ask me to go when S&A and Time Machine came through (she didn't either, go figure). I really regret that because I would have loved seeing those tours. At least I saw Clockwork and R40 so I am happy and I can listen to the live CD's of the 2 I missed.

Like someone else said, CD's are a good way to fill in those gaps. Just glad I found them when I did and how much their music has added to my life.

• Like 1

There's not a day that goes by where I secretly wish I wasn't a Rush fan so I won't have to deal with the pain of losing them. Edited by fraroc

There's not a day that goes by where I secretly wish I wasn't a Rush fan so I won't have to deal with the pain of losing them.

deeeeeeeep

• Like 1

Well, no one stops u from showing rush to your future kids except letting them know there will be no concerts exceot for a tribute band that maaay be hanging around there.

Rush is maybe the band that has the longes career time, no other band could hold 40 years (because most musicians didnt even reach that age) so use that in your favour. Don't lose hope

• Like 1

Then what's the point in teaching the younger generation?

Let them have Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj and be happy with it, It's not worth trying to keep rock n' roll alive. There will never be another Rush or another Van Halen or another Led Zep. I'll just let rap and hip hop pull the plug to the life support system keeping rock "alive".

I think a lot of people feel like they were late to the party if they missed any big section of their music or touring. I feel like that because I kind of dropped away from the band for a while even though my first show was Hemispheres.

Me^^^ but I was busy those years... :)

I'm a long time fan started in '75 at the age of 10 but sadly didn't get to see them live until 2004, so happy they came back to touring and blessed us with so many years. I don't know if any of today's band will last 40 years and still be able to pack the arenas like Rush does...they are very very special.

I have the feelings of minor regret that I wasn't able to see Rush before this year. But that's not a new problem because most of the bands I love don't tour anymore or had their golden age way back when. Tom Petty still tours and is very on top of his game thank god ;). Edited by G Lee

I got into Rush in late 2012 and I was lucky enough to see them live in June 2013 on the Clockwork Angels Tour. As R40 might be their last major tour, I feel a little dissapointed that I won't be able to see them live one last time, but to be honest I am incredibly glad of having seen them at al!!!. Also, I am really happy that Rush cares so much about their fans and has recorded a live dvd on every tour since their come back in 2002 so that people who aren't able to attend a show in person also gets to see the tour. Thanks to that I've seen the Vapor Trails tour, R30, Snakes and Arrows, Time Machine and now I will also be able to see R40!!!
  • Like 1

I think they'll only ever release one album in my time of being a fan. I got into them after the Caravan/BU2B single came out, but before Clockwork Angels was released. I'll never see em live thanks to costs and travel, but as previously said, thanks god for CDs. I own everything I could afford and find, and that's enough for me. Would love em to have done a show or two in Australia within my lifetime...

I am probably THE UNHOLY ONE, listening to Rush since mid 80s but falling in deep love just a dozen years ago.

My uncle once said: "idiots deserve nothing"

I can only sadly agree....

I am probably THE UNHOLY ONE, listening to Rush since mid 80s but falling in deep love just a dozen years ago.

My uncle once said: "idiots deserve nothing"

I can only sadly agree....

I've been a fan since Permanent Waves was the 'new' Rush album, but didn't get to see them live until the Presto tour. (Even then, I was only 16-17 years old). So I've had a good run. And still, I know there are a lot of things I missed. But I'm grateful for every note, every beat, and every moment.

• Like 2

I'm 26 years old, raised in a "Rush" household, Rush was my first concert, etc, etc. Like many of you I have experienced some sadness about the supposed end of Rush's large-scale touring. But for me it is a little bit different. It is hard to get over the fact that I missed the golden age, the "peak."

The thought that comes to my mind as I read this is: who says you missed the peak? Right now the guys have about 20 albums worth of music behind them, they're playing 3 hour shows, their sense of humour is coming out for all to see, their musicianship is better than it was in the 70s, and the latest album is one of their best ever. This tour is pretty spectacular. That all sounds like a band that is at its peak right now! (And if you wants to think statistics, you can even consider them multimodal ;) )

Don't mourn the past, live in the present!

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 8

Better to be late to the legendary party than to not have gone at all. Appreciate what you got to have and try not to feel sour about being born too late or finding the band too late. You've had an experience denied to many, you've experienced the greatest band that's ever existed and they're still at the top of their game
  • Like 7