San Jose Periscope Thread - July 23, 2015

Xanadu

Thank you Tom Healey for posting links. Without them I would be sitting with a silent screen!

It's not that bad. I do it all the time. I come here on these periscope threads (or used to when they were playing in better time zones) for the fun and good company. You are with the finest folks on these threads. :)

• Like 1

Geddy plucks those strings so hard for Cygnus!

I noticed that when I watched Tulsa and mentioned it on here. Thanks for confirming for me. :)

Any idea why he's doing it?

To get the funk!

Something else that I've noticed - someone else surely has already - is that Lee consistently says, after they've finished playing Cygnus, "We'd like to go back to our Farewell to Kings album" - it just seems kind of weird that he'd put it that way, as if they haven't just played a tune from that record.

• Like 1

(I was thinking this last night but didn't want to start using my phone while the boys were playing...)

I just want to go on record here saying the Ric 4001 is the sexiest bass ever. I mean, come on, look at this:

http://www.studiotv.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Geddy-Lee-Bass-Rush-02.jpg

• Like 3

(I was thinking this last night but didn't want to start using my phone while the boys were playing...)

I just want to go on record here saying the Ric 4001 is the sexiest bass ever. I mean, come on, look at this:

http://www.studiotv.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Geddy-Lee-Bass-Rush-02.jpg

What I like is that there's nothing phallic about that bass at all . . .

I noticed that when I watched Tulsa and mentioned it on here. Thanks for confirming for me. :)

To get the funk!

Something else that I've noticed - someone else surely has already - is that Lee consistently says, after they've finished playing Cygnus, "We'd like to go back to our Farewell to Kings album" - it just seems kind of weird that he'd put it that way, as if they haven't just played a tune from that record.

What do you mean "to get the funk"?

The only other time I've seen him play like that (watching the video bootlegs and official dvds) is when he used that little bass during the Grace Under Pressure tour.

To get the funk!

The only other time I've seen him play like that (watching the video bootlegs and official dvds) is when he used that little bass during the Grace Under Pressure tour.

There are a couple of ways to get that funky sort of snap or pop that you hear in bass lines. One is called a "slap" - where you sort of bonk the string usually with the side of your thumb - and one is called (I think) a "pop" - where you curl a finger under a string and sort of reef it and let it snap back against the fret. Some players have their basses set up in a certain way where they can do this in a very fluid manner (i.e. it doesn't seem like they're working the strings too hard), but aggressive players like Geddy (who admits in interviews that he is hard on the strings) will reef it pretty hard.

To get the funk!

There are a couple of ways to get that funky sort of snap or pop that you hear in bass lines. One is called a "slap" - where you sort of bonk the string usually with the side of your thumb - and one is called (I think) a "pop" - where you curl a finger under a string and sort of reef it and let it snap back against the fret. Some players have their basses set up in a certain way where they can do this in a very fluid manner (i.e. it doesn't seem like they're working the strings too hard), but aggressive players like Geddy (who admits in interviews that he is hard on the strings) will reef it pretty hard.

Toymaker is very correct about what he's saying. To further amplify what he's saying, it has to do with what musicians call "dynamics." Dynamics is simply playing softer or playing harder, rather than playing exactly the same all the time. One might assume that dynamics is simply a matter of volume, but it's more than that. Playing harder or softer not only affects volume (loudness), but also tone. Playing as hard as Geddy does on Cygnus results in a very different tone from the bass than if he's being more delicate.

And, yes, the "going back to the AFTK album" comment after Cygnus, but before CttH always jars me.

• Like 1

To get the funk!

To get the funk!

Toymaker is very correct about what he's saying. To further amplify what he's saying, it has to do with what musicians call "dynamics." Dynamics is simply playing softer or playing harder, rather than playing exactly the same all the time. One might assume that dynamics is simply a matter of volume, but it's more than that. Playing harder or softer not only affects volume (loudness), but also tone. Playing as hard as Geddy does on Cygnus results in a very different tone from the bass than if he's being more delicate.

And, yes, the "going back to the AFTK album" comment after Cygnus, but before CttH always jars me.

I think the last time I brought up how he was playing his bass this tour I used the word "fierce". It almost appears as if he is angry the way he's doing it. He looks like he's trying to get it to do something it won't do, so he keeps plucking at it all the meaner, harder and fiercer.

In any event, it must be hard on his hands and fingers, especially at his age.

I think the last time I brought up how he was playing his bass this tour I used the word "fierce". It almost appears as if he is angry the way he's doing it. He looks like he's trying to get it to do something it won't do, so he keeps plucking at it all the meaner, harder and fiercer.

In any event, it must be hard on his hands and fingers, especially at his age.

I am blown away by his busy playing even on the first record. The man has fast, strong fingers, and he makes the bass growl and bark. I wrote somewhere else that I wouldn't try arm-wrasslin' the guy. I'm guessing that even at 62 or whatever he is now, he's got some strong fingers.

And speaking of Geddy and age, shouldn't his 62nd ( :() birthday be rolling around any day now?

Yes, another July birthday! On the 29th, he will be 62 (a great age :D if I do say so ;) ) He's like the energizer bunny on stage and he keeps on going!

• Like 1

And speaking of Geddy and age, shouldn't his 62nd ( :() birthday be rolling around any day now?

Yes, another July birthday! On the 29th, he will be 62 (a great age :D if I do say so ;) ) He's like the energizer bunny on stage and he keeps on going!

He is in great shape, that's for sure. I was watching Rio yesterday and I thought he looks in better bodily shape today than he did then. :)

• Like 1

I was in second row last night and am just in awe of Geddy's strum technique. Even if you know how to play the old rush songs the way he does them after using it is simply mind blowing.
  • Like 2

Headlong Flight from last night in San Jose.

Awesome Quality

• Like 2

To get the funk!

Hitting the strings harder also gives more of a metallic clank against the frets. Geddy gets a lot of his distinctive tone that way

• Like 1

I know folk like to gripe about the new stuff, but I really enjoy the first set.

Let them. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Reviewing now and so far it seems like another great performance.

• Like 1

I don't know what it is, maybe the energy of the performance, or the video, but in my opinion Roll the Bones is far better this tour than ever. One of the highlights of the first set

Same as it ever was for me. Don't understand why it's being noticed on this tour all of a sudden. Does the video change the music?

I don't know what it is, maybe the energy of the performance, or the video, but in my opinion Roll the Bones is far better this tour than ever. One of the highlights of the first set

Same as it ever was for me. Don't understand why it's being noticed on this tour all of a sudden. Does the video change the music?

The absence of Lifeson's lead playing during that rap thing is noticeable . . . but maybe they're hoping people will be entertained enough by the celebrity Rush fans not to notice.

See for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9P6SFp_BFE

Edited by toymaker

• Like 4

The absence of Lifeson's lead playing during that rap thing is noticeable . . . but maybe they're hoping people will be entertained enough by the celebrity Rush fans not to notice.

See for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9P6SFp_BFE

Sounds MUCH better without the guitar during the rap. IMO.

We were rocking and singing last night. It's the first time I've seen it live.