Can anyone tell me about the meaning off

Phoenix

Phoenix...I'm thinking that "Red Sector A" is meant to denote section numbers given to areas in concentration camps. I'm not positive about that.

As for "grace under pressure," it comes from an Ernest Hemingway quote, "Courage is grace under pressure." And I think that means that someone who is truly courageous is someone who can act with grace and dignity, even when "under pressure" and going through trying times.

That's my take on it, anyway. smile.gif

The Lyrics of Red Sector A do refer to concentration camps. The Title of the song, however, was taken from the boyz visit to NASA... and area there was "RED SECTOR A". It's been documented.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 24 2004, 02:40 PM)
The Lyrics of Red Sector A do refer to concentration camps. The Title of the song, however, was taken from the boyz visit to NASA... and area there was "RED SECTOR A". It's been documented.

Gracias, Pedro... wink.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 24 2004, 03:57 PM)

Gracias, Pedro... wink.gif

deNada....

WHAT HE SAID!! And yes it was/is documented..

QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 24 2004, 04:09 PM)
"Grace Under Pressure" is an expression I've heard all my life. It probably did originate with Mr. Hemingway, but it may be quite a bit older. But it's an elegant expression, nevertheless (always the more).

they have been using the term Grace Under Pressure alot during the olympics

1022.gif

So true, so true, and I may add they watched the first space shuttle launch from that area! bsg.gif

The phrase "Grace under pressure' was originally written by Dorothy Parker, a VERY funny New York writer. Hemingway quoted her.

Red Sector A was the VIP section where the guys stood at the shuttle launch. Why it was used for a concentration camp is beyond me....maybe it just sounded good.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/3718356547_c0065dd78c.jpg

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Oct 19 2009, 10:00 PM)
Was there a point to bumping this?

I think, after 5 years, if you still have questions about the album and the song, you're allowed to start a new thread on it. confused13.gif

This is taken from a transcript of an interview with Neil Peart by Jim Ladd which appears in the book 'Merely Players' by Robert Telleria....

"Red Sector A" The title is the name of the VIP zone at Cape Canaveral's launching site, but here it is the name for a concentration camp in a futuristic Holocaust. Neil's electronic drums were meant to literally sound like 'smoking guns' (another double entendre lyrically).

NEIL: 'I read a first-person account of someone who had survived the whole system of trains and work camps and Dachau and all of that, and this person, she was a young girl, like thirteen years old when she was sent into it, and lived in it for a few years, and then through first person accounts from other people who came out at the end of it, always glad to be alive, which again was the essence of grace, grace under pressure is that through all of it, these people never gave up the strong will to survive, through the utmost horror. I wanted to give it more of a timeless atmosphere too, because it's happened, of course, in more than one time and by more than one race of people ... and another really important moving image that I got from a lot of these accounts was that at the end of it, these people of course had been totally isolated from the rest of the world, from their families, from any news at all, and they, in cases that I read, believed that they were the last people surviving.'

I think Grace Under Pressure is also a reference to the difficult time they were having finding a new producer at that time, after deciding to depart from Terry Brown and ending up practically producing the GUP album themselves. Geddy is on record as saying that Peter Henderson ended up just being more of an engineer than a producer and was unable to make decisions and give them direction on the song writing process or advise on what was good and not so good.

One of my all time fave Rush records though - more self production please guys I say!

Guys, this thread is five years old. wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 21 2009, 02:01 PM)
Guys, this thread is five years old. wink.gif

So it is! Newbie syndrome I'm afraid X93. tongue.gif

Anyhow..... I know of at least 12 young teenagers who are just getting into Rush big time and all this will be revelation to them if they happen to be reading. cool.gif

Archived