R40 Leg 2

losingit2k

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me, huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Sorry about that. :)

• Like 1

It's upsetting to me to see how many people would actually be okay with replacing Neil...

It oesn't bother me because I know it would never happen. Without Neil, there is no Rush. Geddy and Alex with a different drummer will never be Rush. I remember one of them, probably Geddy, said as much once. I don't recall the quote exactly but the sentiment of it stayed with me. If you believe Rush is a band with integrity, then you believe Rush can only be Geddy, Alex and Neil. They are not Yes.. they are not KISS. They are RUSH; not interchangeable, each irreplaceable.

• Like 2

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me, huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Sorry about that. :)

It was a bad time for everyone, bill1971. It's all in the past now.

• Like 1

It's upsetting to me to see how many people would actually be okay with replacing Neil...

It oesn't bother me because I know it would never happen. Without Neil, there is no Rush. Geddy and Alex with a different drummer will never be Rush. I remember one of them, probably Geddy, said as much once. I don't recall the quote exactly but the sentiment of it stayed with me. If you believe Rush is a band with integrity, then you believe Rush can only be Geddy, Alex and Neil. They are not Yes.. they are not KISS. They are RUSH; not interchangeable, each irreplaceable.

I agree with you. But....if some of the rumors are true about the way the end has happened, then Geddy and Alex might have a change of heart about finding the best Rush tribute band drummer out there and hitting the road under a new name. Perhaps "Rash".

That being said, if things are okay between the guys, just give us an album of new music. If I had to pick, I'd rather have that than another tour.

Most members here, including me, are saying if Ged n Al want to continue under a different name, that's fine. They have the ethical right to perform and record under a different name if they choose. They are supposed to retire just cuz Neil told them so with three months notice?

Rush Prime Rule #1, that is almost never mentioned on TRF, all 3 need to agree for them to do something. Retirement is the biggest something that they can currently do, so I am sure Geddy will get at least a pound of flesh from Neil The Emperor, before the final act, he usually does ;)

Most members here, including me, are saying if Ged n Al want to continue under a different name, that's fine. They have the ethical right to perform and record under a different name if they choose. They are supposed to retire just cuz Neil told them so with three months notice?

Rush Prime Rule #1, that is almost never mentioned on TRF, all 3 need to agree for them to do something. Retirement is the biggest something that they can currently do, so I am sure Geddy will get at least a pound of flesh from Neil The Emperor, before the final act, he usually does ;)

Or they could just fire the drummer and find another one. He is the "new guy" after all.

Listening to Neil rave about how awesome touring is on the ESL film, it's almost ironic he is adamant about retiring now.

He was a kid then and that was long before touring took its toll on all of them. Already at the end of the eighties, I understand Neil didn't want to tour anymore. In fact, according to my Rush book, they were all sick of touring. That's why they cut out touring Europe and started taking home breaks every few weeks of touring.

Edited by Lorraine

Yes...I don't want a "Rush" without Neil, but I do want Alex and Geddy to continue on if they are not ready to call it a day. That's only right. How about the Geddy and Alex acoustic show? I'd buy tickets. :D (Remember, they don't have to call it Rush.)

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 1

Listening to Neil rave about how awesome touring is on the ESL film, it's almost ironic he is adamant about retiring now.

He was a kid then and that was long before touring took its toll on all of them. Already at the end of the eighties, I understand Neil didn't want to tour anymore. In fact, according to my Rush book, they were all sick of touring. That's why they cut out touring Europe and started taking home breaks every few weeks of touring.

Wasn't it around that same time that Neil started suffering from tendinitis? For some reason Grace Under Pressure rings a bell.

Yes. I had just recently read a Neil interview where he said it was around Hold Your Fire that he really wanted to quit touring, but kept doing tours anyway because, to paraphrase, that's what you do when you're in an active working band.

Yes...I don't want a "Rush" without Neil, but I do want Alex and Geddy to continue on if they are not ready to call it a day. That's only right. How about the Geddy and Alex acoustic show? I'd buy tickets. :D (Remember, they don't have to call it Rush.)

I wouldn't have an issue with either of them touring with solo bands... But I agree, I just don't want to see a band that has ONE guy in it, and they call it by the original name, and it's marketed as the original band... Kind of like Foghat...the only original member that's touring I think is the drummer! Or what "Yes" has been the past 8-10 years...No Jon Anderson..no Yes! (and now no Chris Squire, so.....)

If Alex or Geddy decided to go out and tour together, and it turned into a semi-legit Rush tribute act, I'd be totally against it...but if each one went out and did their own thing, and maybe tossed in a Rush tune or two into their setlist, then that's not too cheap of a shot.

It's rock and roll man.

If I had told you 12 years ago Journey would be a successful touring act again with a Filipino kid imitating Steve Perry you'd have called me insane.

ANYTHING! And I mean ANYTHING, Can happen in rock and roll.

Except a Led Zep reunion ..THAT is never happening.

Maybe there is a Filipino Neil Peart riding his Vespa through the streets of Manilla who can drum like a madman.....

Keep an open mind people.....

But no seriously....It's over

• Like 1

Maybe there is a Filipino Neil Peart riding his Vespa through the streets of Manilla who can drum like a madman.....

Or a Japanese Neil Peart for that matter...

Uh Oh, around the 8:15 mark I think he broke scowl and gave a tiny little smile. That will NEVER do. Next applicant! :D

Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 1

Or a Japanese Neil Peart for that matter...

Uh Oh, around the 8:15 mark I think he broke scowl and gave a tiny little smile. That will NEVER do. Next applicant! :D

Make sure whoever is hired is able to keep the "omg when will this all finally be over" look on his face at all times too.

• Like 1

Poor Neil. I don't think it would matter how emotionally and physically exhausted and in pain the guy might be . . . a bunch of people are still going to give him shit for wanting to finally stop playing music after 40 years. "I've got the inside scoop"; "you can tell by the look on his face"; "I saw what happened" . . . experts in human psychology and mind-readers abound!

I'm glad I'm not in a position where I'll make thousands of people full of anger and hatred towards me because I want to stop doing something on my own terms, because I have other things I love to do and that give my life meaning.

Neil, if you're reading . . . thanks for the music.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 5

Poor Neil. I don't think it would matter how emotionally and physically exhausted and in pain the guy might be . . . a bunch of people are still going to give him shit for wanting to finally stop playing music after 40 years. "I've got the inside scoop"; "you can tell by the look on his face"; "I saw what happened" . . . experts in human psychology and mind-readers abound!

I'm glad I'm not in a position where I'll make thousands of people full of anger and hatred towards me because I want to stop doing something on my own terms, because I have other things I love to do and that give my life meaning.

Thanks for writing this. It's been depressing reading all of the smack about Neil since the tour has been over. Let the guy enjoy his retirement.

• Like 1

Thanks for writing this. It's been depressing reading all of the smack about Neil since the tour has been over. Let the guy enjoy his retirement.

Yeah, it's been bumming me out a bit. I suspect that, at the end of the day, I'd like to keep my rock heroes idealized. Even Geddy Lee, when he was asked which of his heroes he'd like to meet, answered "none of them." I probably shouldn't have continued to read this thread; it was my choice, and I accept responsibility for that. I guess the philosophical part of me was morbidly curious about what people were saying.

• Like 1

To the folks that are so upset about Neil wanting to retire and be with his family (I've seen some say they've lost all respect for him and even "f**k Neil" for being "selfish"), watch this:

To the folks that are so upset about Neil wanting to retire and be with his family (I've seen some say they've lost all respect for him and even "f**k Neil" for being "selfish"), watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNaEEj7gCqM

Yeah I agree. We've had 40 years of music. What other band has given us so much enjoyment for long?

Yeah I agree. We've had 40 years of music. What other band has given us so much enjoyment for long?

I don't think the fact that he wanted to retire is what is upsetting. It's the manner in which he orchestrated his exit. In many people's opinions, the class thing to do would have been to tough it out for only 3 more months, like the whole organization wanted to. In the grand scheme of things, 3 months is a very short amount of time. It would have changed the whole tone of the tour behind the scenes, and would have eliminated all of the hard feelings it created among the 3 of them. Well, 2 of them, anyway.

Now I ask you, considering that it meant so much to not only G&A, but the whole Rush organization, AND the fans, would it have killed Neil to delay his retirement by 90 days?

Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 6

I don't think the fact that he wanted to retire is what is upsetting. It's the manner in which he orchestrated his exit. In many people's opinions, the class thing to do would have been to tough it out for only 3 more months, like the whole organization wanted to. In the grand scheme of things, 3 months is a very short amount of time. It would have changed the whole tone of the tour behind the scenes, and would have eliminated all of the hard feelings it created among the 3 of them. Well, 2 of them, anyway.

Now I ask you, considering that it meant so much to not only G&A, but the whole Rush organization, AND the fans, would it have killed Neil to delay his retirement by 90 days?

You are wasting your time. These people are so far up Peart's arse they don't want to hear bad things about him. They live by the mantra that Peart owes us nothing.

The only thing that genuinely irritates me about all this, and I wish the band would have appreciated this, is if they had announced the tour as The Farewell Tour I would have traveled over to catch a show. Some UK Rush fans did travel but I could've only justified doing it if it was billed as a Farewell Tour.

• Like 1

I do get the impression that Geddy would've been ok with R40 being the farewell tour *if* there had at least been a brief UK/Europe leg in 2016 to say goodbye to those fans too. I think that's the part he's having some difficulty resolving. Neil certainly has the right to quit in the manner that he did, but I'm not surprised there's a little inner circle resentment towards him for it. It would've been nice (and deserving) to see a band as beloved and influential in music history as Rush have been get a little bigger send-off. But the consolation prize at least is that we should be getting a quality recording of the send-off that occurred. Edited by TexMike