R40 Leg 2

losingit2k

The last 15 years have been a bit of a bonus, if you look at it one way.

He has essentially held Geddy and Alex hostage for the last 15 years. And the word "selfish" (and the like) came from several people on the inside, not me. The fact is yes, they're old and deserve to retire. So, why not do it the right way? Rather than dictate that their last tour be no more than 34 shows and nothing overseas, wouldn't it have been better for the band as a whole, for Neil to have allowed them to actually announce that it was the last tour, do a few more North America shows, AND let their overseas fans have a chance to see them one last time? THAT's what everyone in the organization wanted... except the Emperor. And he got his way. Doesn't that seem a little, prima donna-ish? IMO, given the way they were forced to let it play out, Geddy & Alex's frustration & animosity is justified.

Just heard Geddy tell in a Teamrock Radio interview this evening (http://prog.teamrock...io-show-tonight) that:

• He really wanted to come over the UK and other countries where they have fans with the tour but that it's politically not possible right now.

• Ending the R40 tour was very difficult & hard for him. He was feeling low for several weeks after the tour.

• They basically have no future plans.

He sounded sad to my ears during this part of the interview...

"Politically" not possible? Interesting choice of term there. Wonder if that's his way of saying he was outvoted 2-1. You could tell early on he was going to be the most sad when the end came. He was obviously loving the set they were playing and probably would've gladly continued with it for another 1-2 years.

He has essentially held Geddy and Alex hostage for the last 15 years. And the word "selfish" (and the like) came from several people on the inside, not me. The fact is yes, they're old and deserve to retire. So, why not do it the right way? Rather than dictate that their last tour be no more than 34 shows and nothing overseas, wouldn't it have been better for the band as a whole, for Neil to have allowed them to actually announce that it was the last tour, do a few more North America shows, AND let their overseas fans have a chance to see them one last time? THAT's what everyone in the organization wanted... except the Emperor. And he got his way. Doesn't that seem a little, prima donna-ish? IMO, given the way they were forced to let it play out, Geddy & Alex's frustration & animosity is justified.

Just heard Geddy tell in a Teamrock Radio interview this evening (http://prog.teamrock...io-show-tonight) that:

• He really wanted to come over the UK and other countries where they have fans with the tour but that it's politically not possible right now.

• Ending the R40 tour was very difficult & hard for him. He was feeling low for several weeks after the tour.

• They basically have no future plans.

He sounded sad to my ears during this part of the interview...

Personally I think it's a perfect time for them to stop. They've given us a ton of great music over the years.

I know they kicked ass up til the very freaking end. LA show was incredible. Bubble's even thought so
  • Like 1

I expect the announcement for the R40 Live Tour Second leg around January 2016 Or after Christmas 2015.

I expect it around April 1, 2016. ;)

Geddy just said there's no plans for any more touring.

Not that I have any doubt that it's true, but where exactly did he just say this?

I think the fact that Neil recently had ALL of his equipment that was in the bands storage facility shipped to him in CA is a pretty good indicator that it's over. In 40+ years, he has NEVER done that.

As it turns out, Geddy, Alex, & management were hoping that once the Emperor got out on this tour, he'd have a change of heart about extending the tour and even going overseas. Which, is something they desperately wanted to do, considering it was the last tour. However, we know how this story ended. As predicted, Neil's selfishness is solely responsible for the death of Rush.

Neil's selfishness? I doubt his family feels this way. As a fan I could feel this way, but I don't. The last 15 years have been a bit of a bonus, if you look at it one way.

Totally agree. He's doing what's in his heart. Can't ever go wrong with that choice. Being away from family SUCKS...even if you're making bank doing it
  • Like 2

I expect the announcement for the R40 Live Tour Second leg around January 2016 Or after Christmas 2015.

Not that I have any doubt that it's true, but where exactly did he just say this?

I think the fact that Neil recently had ALL of his equipment that was in the bands storage facility shipped to him in CA is a pretty good indicator that it's over. In 40+ years, he has NEVER done that.

As it turns out, Geddy, Alex, & management were hoping that once the Emperor got out on this tour, he'd have a change of heart about extending the tour and even going overseas. Which, is something they desperately wanted to do, considering it was the last tour. However, we know how this story ended. As predicted, Neil's selfishness is solely responsible for the death of Rush.

Neil's selfishness? I doubt his family feels this way. As a fan I could feel this way, but I don't. The last 15 years have been a bit of a bonus, if you look at it one way.

Totally agree. He's doing what's in his heart. Can't ever go wrong with that choice. Being away from family SUCKS...even if you're making bank doing it

I don't get why so many people get on Neil because he wants to stay home and be with his family. If it were anyone else, everyone would be like "good for him!"

• Like 1

I don't get why so many people get on Neil because he wants to stay home and be with his family. If it were anyone else, everyone would be like "good for him!"

I'm with you sister. I remember that letter Phil Collins wrote to him about staying in the game...what a tool. Neil's doing the right thing.
  • Like 1

I'm with you sister. I remember that letter Phil Collins wrote to him about staying in the game...what a tool. Neil's doing the right thing.

Yeah, I guess they're selfish enough to think only of themselves. When I first heard that this could be the last major tour, I was really disappointed. But it's been coming on for years. Neil hasn't enjoyed touring for years and it hasn't been a secret. We were lucky to get anything from Vapor Trails on.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess they're selfish enough to think only of themselves. When I first heard that this could be the last major tour, I was really disappointed. But it's been coming on for years. Neil hasn't enjoyed touring for years and it hasn't been a secret. We were lucky to get anything from Vapor Trails on.

The set from R40 was THE only way to go out. Well, that and Clockwork Angels
  • Like 1

I've said this before and I will say it again. You are projecting.

I'd love Rush to last forever, but after 40 yrs I don't blame Neil to end it all, not even for spending his future time just playing scrabble and farting.

FOH, you said geddy/alex were frustrated, there was animosity… was this like evident with them during the tour? I know you said they won't say anything bad about each other publicly, and I know alex saying something about how he didn't mind the whole situation with neil not wanting to tour in an interview. But you are saying really backstage both guys are pretty pissed at him?

I'm not surprised to hear that Geddy really want to come to the U.K/Europe, as I remember an interview a few months back (Rolling Stone maybe?) that he and Alex acknowledged the fans across the pond deserve to get their taste of R40. I feel sorry for Geddy in particular, as you can tell the guy loves being on the road, not surprised he was bummed after the last show. Alex being interested in more shows was cool to hear, I figured he was more on the fence, although I reckon he probably would have welcome an extended break and then toured.

It's abundantly clear that Neil has put the kibosh on any more shows, and you can't blame the guy for wanting to spend time with his family. I live in hope that maybe in a few years he'll get bored and fancy another go, but who knows. Still, at this point, I would gladly welcome some shows with Geddy, Alex and some hired help; anything to see 2/3 members of Rush is better than nothing at all.

• Like 1

I'm not sure in what context you mean. If you mean that I'm projecting feelings that were not only visually obvious, but were also verbally spoken to me then yes, I'm projecting...

FOH, you said geddy/alex were frustrated, there was animosity… was this like evident with them during the tour? I know you said they won't say anything bad about each other publicly, and I know alex saying something about how he didn't mind the whole situation with neil not wanting to tour in an interview. But you are saying really backstage both guys are pretty pissed at him?

To think that G&A are not miffed by the situation would be naive. The inner circle, including Neil, are well aware of how they feel. There was a picture I posted a while back (someone else did too) that showed one of their last walks to the stage and it's very telling, IMO. Taken from behind, it shows Neil leading, followed by G&A walking next to each other. Neil appears as happy as a pig in shite, while G&A, not so much. Towards the end of the tour, Neil had a few shirts made - a picture taken of him from behind, riding his bike with his arms raised in the air (in victorious fashion) and a big red circle with a line through it covering the whole thing. The caption was something like, "the end of the road". He presented them to G&A and Alex promptly threw his in the nearest trash can. Of course, they have/would never let their feelings be known publicly, but this was not a fairy tale ending. There was no celebration together - no final night out together, as one might expect. Even at the end of tour bash, there was no touching moment where they all hugged, thanked each other for the amazing ride, and no heartfelt goodbyes. It just ended, with a LOT of mixed emotions.

IDK, maybe I'm biased, but for those who say that Neil deserves to be left alone and be with his family, you should take into consideration how HE orchestrated their swan song. IMO, it was a final FU to not only the whole organization, but also to the fans. Neil is a professional, and could have easily toughed it out for another 3 months to give his band mates, and especially the fans (who really deserved it), a proper last tour. It could have been handled differently, with a little more compassion, and a LOT more class. So I ask you to dig deep and wonder for a minute, did his actions seem like those of a team player who took everyone's wants & desires into consideration, or were they selfish and based only on what was best for Neil?

• Like 6

Your response is certainly a very interesting insiders perspective. I had wondered if there was animosity about how the tour ended. I remember and Alex comment recently where he sounded slightly miffed at Neil. For the life of me, I can't find it now, but when I read it it struck me that perhaps there was an issue. Gump also has his infamous "thrown under the bus" tweet. Not to get off topic too much, but I've seen a lot of fan footage of the tour and it seemed to me that Alex did not look too happy a lot of the time. He seemed to be looking down a lot as he played, to me anyway. Hardly any smiles. Anywho..

As far as Neil holding Alex and Geddy hostage for the last 15 years, I don't see it. They have been fairly active since Vapor Trails. I also don't agree how you seem to think it should have been announced as a final tour. I don't know how many times I heard Alex reference The Who and their phony "last tour". Seems to me that's something that we will never hear. If they announced it as a final tour, they would really be shoehorned into that spot. If somehow miraculously they decide to tour again in the future, they would be just like any other old band who announced her retirement tour then went whoops, we're going out again. That doesn't sound to be Rush's style. Yes, it would have been great if they continued to Europe, etc. That would have made for a better "bow" on the present that was R40, but sadly it was not to be. R40 is what it was, and that's all folks. I'm not going to be mad at Neil for him not doing what he doesn't want to do. He knows what's best for him and his family.

If there is a rift between the boys, hopefully it will be smoothed over and RUSH will go into the studio next year to record a new album. That's as far as I care to hope at this point. Now if Neil refuses to do a new Rush album, then I would consider Rush done and disbanded. And anything beyond a new Rush album, like a mini-tour or short residency, would be a bonus of epic proportions.

I'm not sure in what context you mean. If you mean that I'm projecting feelings that were not only visually obvious, but were also verbally spoken to me then yes, I'm projecting...

To think that G&A are not miffed by the situation would be naive. The inner circle, including Neil, are well aware of how they feel. There was a picture I posted a while back (someone else did too) that showed one of their last walks to the stage and it's very telling, IMO. Taken from behind, it shows Neil leading, followed by G&A walking next to each other. Neil appears as happy as a pig in shite, while G&A, not so much. Towards the end of the tour, Neil had a few shirts made - a picture taken of him from behind, riding his bike with his arms raised in the air (in victorious fashion) and a big red circle with a line through it covering the whole thing. The caption was something like, "the end of the road". He presented them to G&A and Alex promptly threw his in the nearest trash can. Of course, they have/would never let their feelings be known publicly, but this was not a fairy tale ending. There was no celebration together - no final night out together, as one might expect. Even at the end of tour bash, there was no touching moment where they all hugged, thanked each other for the amazing ride, and no heartfelt goodbyes. It just ended, with a LOT of mixed emotions.

IDK, maybe I'm biased, but for those who say that Neil deserves to be left alone and be with his family, you should take into consideration how HE orchestrated their swan song. IMO, it was a final FU to not only the whole organization, but also to the fans. Neil is a professional, and could have easily toughed it out for another 3 months to give his band mates, and especially the fans (who really deserved it), a proper last tour. It could have been handled differently, with a little more compassion, and a LOT more class. So I ask you to dig deep and wonder for a minute, did his actions seem like those of a team player who took everyone's wants & desires into consideration, or were they selfish and based only on what was best for Neil?

"IMO, it was a final FU to not only the whole organization, but also to the fans."

You, sir, sound to be very biased. If it was about f**k you, I don't think there would have been an R40. Besides, I believe R40 was a Ray Daniels creation, not the bands.

I appreciate your input here, but part of me sees it as anonymously airing the band's dirty laundry. Too soon! Can't we all get to watch R40 Live dvd first? :D

Towards the end of the tour, Neil had a few shirts made - a picture taken of him from behind, riding his bike with his arms raised in the air (in victorious fashion) and a big red circle with a line through it covering the whole thing. The caption was something like, "the end of the road". He presented them to G&A and Alex promptly threw his in the nearest trash can.

:LOL: That's funny, if true. Neil has earned the right to retire, no question about it. But if he was aware that ending the band was going to be a lot harder emotionally for Geddy and Alex (than it was going to be for him), then openly gloating about it WAS a little tasteless IMO and I can see where that would've left some bitterness. He could've had a little more consideration of their feelings and kept a lid on that giddiness until after the last show. Then again, he's never exactly been Mr. Empathy, so perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise. Edited by TexMike

Neil is a professional, and could have easily toughed it out for another 3 months to give his band mates, and especially the fans (who really deserved it), a proper last tour. It could have been handled differently, with a little more compassion, and a LOT more class. So I ask you to dig deep and wonder for a minute, did his actions seem like those of a team player who took everyone's wants & desires into consideration, or were they selfish and based only on what was best for Neil?

As unpopular as what you have written is here, I agree with you.

• Like 3

After reading the latest FOH post I'm really glad that I've travelled all the way to the US and Canada to catch this tour... It did cost me quite a bit but as it turns out having been able to say goodbye to them in their hometown now seems to be the best decision I've made in 2015 :)
  • Like 3

Fans are looking for a fairy tale ending to a fairy tale career and the same can probably said of Alex and especially Geddy. On the bright side, I guess instead of commenting about Rush albums and recording quality (or lack thereof), set-lists, and if Neil is over-rated, fans can gripe about Rush's final exit stage right.... :) Edited by Planet X-1

You, sir, sound to be very biased. If it was about f**k you, I don't think there would have been an R40. Besides, I believe R40 was a Ray Daniels creation, not the bands.

Yep, I'm pretty biased at this point. But that didn't come until this last tour when I saw & heard the grumblings and the explanations for them.

I appreciate your input here, but part of me sees it as anonymously airing the band's dirty laundry.

That's fair. Not exactly anonymous, but I hear what you're saying.

This is ridiculous. Let's not throw everyone under the bus

Well no, not everyone. Just NEIL! :LOL:

But seriously, clearly I struck a few nerves here. I guess I felt that some people might be interested in what actually went on and how the "family dynamics" of the band played out. I mean, it will probably never happen, but this is the stuff that great books are made of. However, if anyone was offended or read something that they didn't want to hear, then my apologies.

• Like 3