Rank the Harry Potter Films

AndroidOnTheRun

Here we go...

6*

*If the sixth movie had skipped that last "uplifting" scene and cut straight to credits after "...I AM THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE," I'd have put it third overall.

ETA: To be clear, top is best, bottom is worst in this list.

Edited by AndroidOnTheRun
  • Like 1

8. The Goblet of Fire- not a patch on the book. No house elves, no S.P.E.W., and too many smaller but important details lacking. Overall 6/10

7. The Half-Blood Prince- Too much has changed. I really wish we had the end battle from the book, more focus on the relationship between Dumbledore and Harry, and a stronger performance for the actress who plays Ginny. Otherwise, a particularly gorgeous looking movie. Oh, and I hate the death scene, too much again changed for the worse, and the lack of a funeral scene is a major, unforgivable, flaw. 6/10

6. The Philosopher's Stone- A modern classic, the fact of the matter is that I still prefer the later stories. Good stuff! Love Robbie Coltrane! 7/10

5. The Chamber Of Secrets- Stunning follow up to the brilliant, if workmanlike, first movie. The entire film is perfectly adapted.

4. The Prisoner Of Azkaban- The fallout between the boys and Hermione was a major point in the series where we see the central trio grow as friends, as they also face personal issues. Ron and Hermione would have benefited from this as a screen couple, as the way they are presented is too passive. The lack of this important stage of their friendship Hurts this film for me, especially considering Ron and Harry's fallout is kept in the next movie. Some gorgeous cinematography, a decent script, excellent pacing and inventive fantasy effects make this perhaps the first truly great Potter film. Not perfect, but we'll handled! Oh, and the shrunken head on the Knight Bus is a neat idea! 8/10

3. The Deathly Hallows- Part 2- The conclusion is fine until the destruction of the Elder Wand. Stupid. The epilogue is actually well executed, and the pacing, which is faster than the first half, is worthy of the book and the fight scenes are stunningly executed! Maggie Smith has some of the best lines in this one, and all the principal young cast are on top form.

2. The Order Of The Phoenix- Imelda Staunton is amazing as Umbridge! Decent comedy, terrific character interplay and again, a brilliant conclusion make this one of the more successful, and faithful, adaptations in spite of a lot plot being removed. 9/10

1. The Deathly Hallows- Part 1- many regard this as slow, boring and pointless. In fact, I disagree! This film was a risk, and it paid off. Slower pacing, more focus in the three principal characters, sublime acting and a truly unnerving sense of darkness and fear pervades throughout this movie, and in so many ways this film approaches a level of high art that I wish every Potter film had felt like! Devastating, powerful and intensely human, this is one of the great fantasy movies and also one of the finest dramas of recent years. Highly underrated, and it gets better with every viewing. 10/10

• Like 2

Here we go...

6*

*If the sixth movie had skipped that last "uplifting" scene and cut straight to credits after "...I AM THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE," I'd have put it third overall.

I think this is pretty solid Edited by Lost In Xanadu

8. The Goblet of Fire- not a patch on the book. No house elves, no S.P.E.W., and too many smaller but important details lacking. Overall 6/10

7. The Half-Blood Prince- Too much has changed. I really wish we had the end battle from the book, more focus on the relationship between Dumbledore and Harry, and a stronger performance for the actress who plays Ginny. Otherwise, a particularly gorgeous looking movie. Oh, and I hate the death scene, too much again changed for the worse, and the lack of a funeral scene is a major, unforgivable, flaw. 6/10

6. The Philosopher's Stone- A modern classic, the fact of the matter is that I still prefer the later stories. Good stuff! Love Robbie Coltrane! 7/10

5. The Chamber Of Secrets- Stunning follow up to the brilliant, if workmanlike, first movie. The entire film is perfectly adapted.

4. The Prisoner Of Azkaban- The fallout between the boys and Hermione was a major point in the series where we see the central trio grow as friends, as they also face personal issues. Ron and Hermione would have benefited from this as a screen couple, as the way they are presented is too passive. The lack of this important stage of their friendship Hurts this film for me, especially considering Ron and Harry's fallout is kept in the next movie. Some gorgeous cinematography, a decent script, excellent pacing and inventive fantasy effects make this perhaps the first truly great Potter film. Not perfect, but we'll handled! Oh, and the shrunken head on the Knight Bus is a neat idea! 8/10

3. The Deathly Hallows- Part 2- The conclusion is fine until the destruction of the Elder Wand. Stupid. The epilogue is actually well executed, and the pacing, which is faster than the first half, is worthy of the book and the fight scenes are stunningly executed! Maggie Smith has some of the best lines in this one, and all the principal young cast are on top form.

2. The Order Of The Phoenix- Imelda Staunton is amazing as Umbridge! Decent comedy, terrific character interplay and again, a brilliant conclusion make this one of the more successful, and faithful, adaptations in spite of a lot plot being removed. 9/10

1. The Deathly Hallows- Part 1- many regard this as slow, boring and pointless. In fact, I disagree! This film was a risk, and it paid off. Slower pacing, more focus in the three principal characters, sublime acting and a truly unnerving sense of darkness and fear pervades throughout this movie, and in so many ways this film approaches a level of high art that I wish every Potter film had felt like! Devastating, powerful and intensely human, this is one of the great fantasy movies and also one of the finest dramas of recent years. Highly underrated, and it gets better with every viewing. 10/10

Obviously with 8 films opinions are going to vary greatly, but I think these are pretty good evaluations of the movies on the whole.

I think a really strong point in Azkaban's favor is that it works as a standalone film better than the rest -- while it leaves out some nuance, it makes the complex major plot twist really work in its favor, and it exploits the advantages the visual medium has there.

HBP, for me, is most memorable for the impossible-not-to-notice phallic depiction of the quidditch brooms... I was like, this has to be intentional -- so much of it is teenage boys posturing -- but was it meant to be this funny?

7.2's big mark against it, for me, was that it seemed to shortchange all of the scenes I was most looking forward to seeing onscreen, particularly Neville vs. Nagini. That seemed so anticlimactic to me, when in the book it was the most badass thing ever!

I really think 7.1 had only one weak scene -- the dancing -- and even that was just slightly off. The animated sequence is marvelous.

I'm with you on Goblet... a friend of mine once pointed out that, more than any other movie in the franchise, it fails to keep you from saying "Um... can't they just use magic for this?"

7.1 - What a way to start the final installment. Holy shit this movie was good. Lots of character development late in the series and the battles were thrilling, and the suspense throughout the film always entertained, while never losing the sense of magic and wonder from the younger days. I could watch this one over and over again. No Hogwarts? No matter. Excellent movie.

1 - The classic one, where all the magic and curiosity began. A definite favorite.

5 - People seem to either love or hate this one. I loved the 5th book, and thought the focus on the "old guard" wizards from Harry's parents' generation was good, especially Lupin. Umbridge is a f*cking bitch but she's supposed to be, and Imelda Staunton really stole the show. That character you love to hate. A great redemption after the travesty of a 4th movie. Emma Watson also started plucking those nasty eyebrows and became real eye candy.

6 - Another good one, love all the focus on Harry and Dumbledore. The dark feel of the series was really taking form at this point before it exploded in 7.1.

3 - Solid film. Gary Oldman played Sirius Black well, and Remus Lupin asserts himself as a complete badass.

7.2 - Not as good as the first part, but still a solid flick. Not much about this one other than a bunch of battles, but those battles are all fun to watch. More focus could have been on Snape than just one scene.

2 - Eh. This one's okay. Overall quite faithful to the book, and a continuation of the playful feel we got from the first movie, but nothing truly special.

4 - Lol f**k this movie. It did some things quite well like the actual Triwizard Tournament scenes and Voldemort's return, but a lot of backstory behind the Death Eaters was lost, the house elves subplot was nonexistent, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 2

Obviously with 8 films opinions are going to vary greatly, but I think these are pretty good evaluations of the movies on the whole.

I think a really strong point in Azkaban's favor is that it works as a standalone film better than the rest -- while it leaves out some nuance, it makes the complex major plot twist really work in its favor, and it exploits the advantages the visual medium has there.

HBP, for me, is most memorable for the impossible-not-to-notice phallic depiction of the quidditch brooms... I was like, this has to be intentional -- so much of it is teenage boys posturing -- but was it meant to be this funny?

7.2's big mark against it, for me, was that it seemed to shortchange all of the scenes I was most looking forward to seeing onscreen, particularly Neville vs. Nagini. That seemed so anticlimactic to me, when in the book it was the most badass thing ever!

I really think 7.1 had only one weak scene -- the dancing -- and even that was just slightly off. The animated sequence is marvelous.

I'm with you on Goblet... a friend of mine once pointed out that, more than any other movie in the franchise, it fails to keep you from saying "Um... can't they just use magic for this?"

Goblet is one of my favourite books, as is HBP, but the films were really poorly handled. Both feel like someone has done a Rush job and pasted together their preferred highlights. And no sphinx in the maze! They spent the whole time scared...of hedges...

My least favourite book is Azkaban, for some reason. The film is not better than the book, so don't take my rankings as book rankings!

7.1 - What a way to start the final installment. Holy shit this movie was good. Lots of character development late in the series and the battles were thrilling, and the suspense throughout the film always entertained, while never losing the sense of magic and wonder from the younger days. I could watch this one over and over again. No Hogwarts? No matter. Excellent movie.

1 - The classic one, where all the magic and curiosity began. A definite favorite.

5 - People seem to either love or hate this one. I loved the 5th book, and thought the focus on the "old guard" wizards from Harry's parents' generation was good, especially Lupin. Umbridge is a f*cking bitch but she's supposed to be, and Imelda Staunton really stole the show. That character you love to hate. A great redemption after the travesty of a 4th movie. Emma Watson also started plucking those nasty eyebrows and became real eye candy.

6 - Another good one, love all the focus on Harry and Dumbledore. The dark feel of the series was really taking form at this point before it exploded in 7.1.

3 - Solid film. Gary Oldman played Sirius Black well, and Remus Lupin asserts himself as a complete badass.

7.2 - Not as good as the first part, but still a solid flick. Not much about this one other than a bunch of battles, but those battles are all fun to watch. More focus could have been on Snape than just one scene.

2 - Eh. This one's okay. Overall quite faithful to the book, and a continuation of the playful feel we got from the first movie, but nothing truly special.

4 - Lol f**k this movie. It did some things quite well like the actual Triwizard Tournament scenes and Voldemort's return, but a lot of backstory behind the Death Eaters was lost, the house elves subplot was nonexistent, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I could swap my list with yours and be happy!

I may need to rewatch them before I rank them. I remember really liking #4 but I was also 10 when it came out

I really enjoy the fourth. Just because it is last does not mean I dislike it!

I could swap my list with yours and be happy!

Awesome

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Sorcerer's Stone

Order of the Phoenix

Great

Half Blood Prince

Prizoner of Azkaban

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Average-Meh

Chamber of Secrets

Shit

Goblet of Fire

Edited by BowlCity

Damn, this series was my childhood. Going to HP World in London where they had all the original sets and stuff was insane.

10387478_10205888877732298_7813116394609043550_n.jpg?oh=68c320b5d36f8178f070495f21559e55&oe=5649D238

The amazing thing about these books is that, for once, it had a lot of adults under its spell as well! My dad is 76, and read them as I read them, and he was left speechless by their beauty.

• Like 2

I think the best movies were Goblet of Fire, Prisoner of Azkaban and The Half Blood Prince. Order of the Phoenix was a step above the rest. Edited by EagleMoon

Awesome

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Sorcerer's Stone

Order of the Phoenix

Great

Half Blood Prince

Prizoner of Azkaban

Average-Meh

Chamber of Secrets

Shit

Goblet of Fire

God bless you for using a tiering system. I broke my own rule in starting this thread, which is "Never rank; always tier."

Only saw parts 4 & 5. I skipped the first 3 because I read those books and didn't want the films to possibly ruin those decent reads (though I do NOT think they're as awesome as many say). Anyway, I didn't really care for those flicks. To each his own.

The best Harry Potter related thang that I've experienced is the attraction at Universal Studios Florida. It's the best non-roller coaster ride out there.

• Like 1

I'm going to put a little spin on this. My oldest son was not six yet when Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

was released. It was the first movie I took him to that he sat still, not moving until the end. For this reason it is on the top of the list.

Here we go...

6*

I would love to rank them. Especially since all of them are well RANK! LOL!

I give them all a big fat ZERO!!!!

• Like 1

Order of the Phoenix

Prisoner of Azkaban

Half-Blood Prince

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Chamber of Secrets

Sorcerer's Stone

Goblet of Fire

I liked all of them.

Edited by Stormtron

Order of the Phoenix

Prisoner of Azkaban

Half-Blood Prince

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Chamber of Secrets

Sorcerer's Stone

Goblet of Fire

I liked all of them.

Which is first and which is last?

Order

Order of the Phoenix

Prisoner of Azkaban

Half-Blood Prince

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Chamber of Secrets

Sorcerer's Stone

Goblet of Fire

I liked all of them.

Which is first and which is last?

Order of the Phoenix is my favorite. Goblet last.

• Like 1

Damn, this series was my childhood. Going to HP World in London where they had all the original sets and stuff was insane.

10387478_10205888877732298_7813116394609043550_n.jpg?oh=68c320b5d36f8178f070495f21559e55&oe=5649D238

The series made me a kid again...revisiting those years of wonder
  • Like 1

The series made me a kid again...revisiting those years of wonder

What delights me is that they really improve with age, and rereads! The adult characters are so well fleshed out, I find myself really warming to the older ones, but when I was ten I looked to them just as a kid would.

I think those around here who hate on Potter have not a clue what they are missing out in.