RUSH in Rio

JohnRogers

I did a search but nothing came up. For sure this is not an original thought but DAMN that crowd in Rio loves the band! I'm only starting to listen to Rio lately and the crowd enthusiasm is impressive.

ROD IN RIO!

• Like 2

Another memory was Neil dropping his stick in one of my favourite throw-and-grab moments, at the end of The Big Money. But he nailed it a bunch of other times.

I always wondered how often he fails at that. In four shows I haven't seen a miss.

So if I'm not overly critical just go ahead and order Rio on DVD opposed to buying the expensive R40 box set?

I have the original only and really enjoy it. If you're not overly critical I say yes, order it.

The dvd is great probably their best.The crowd are amazing.I bought the cd ,just to be a completist,but i can't listen to it.Sounds like a bootleg recorded by someone on their phone at the back of the stadium.

So if I'm not overly critical just go ahead and order Rio on DVD opposed to buying the expensive R40 box set?

IMO it's an honest recording of a live stadium show in difficult conditions. I don't get the criticism of it.

• Like 2

The R40 set is $100~ and you get Rush In Rio, R30, Snakes & Arrows Tour, Time Machine and Clockwork Angels Live. If you're missing a bunch of these from your collection i'd get this instead.

• Like 2

Rough sound. Rarely watch Rio, as great as the show itself is.

Me too, which is sad because it was obviously a fantastic show but terribly recorded. Reading the booklet made me mad where they were saying how they were basically throwing everything together at the last minute, why didn't they properly prepare? They're supposed to be professionals here. Sounds like a bad bootleg, Geddy is completely drowned out in the mix. Was it like that at the show, people who attended this concert?

• Like 1

I don't know if the expensive R40 set includes the Rio documentary. If it doesn't, get Rio. I got mine before the second leg of the CA tour began and paid only three dollars (plus, at the time, only $2.99 p/h) on Amazon. Now, that was a deal!!! :)

Whatever Faults Rio Has are wiped away but that wonderful crowd.

Mick

Really, I don't buy a CD or DVD of a band to listen to the crowd drown out the band!

Whatever Faults Rio Has are wiped away but that wonderful crowd.

Mick

Really, I don't buy a CD or DVD of a band to listen to the crowd drown out the band!

Neither do i. but this Crowd was so infectious. i couldn't care less.

i love the show.

Mick

You don't even notice the crowd. And they don't drown them out. At least, I didn't think they did. Geddy and Alex were so alive during Rio! Even Neil looked happy!! :)

Like I said, it was my reintroduction to Rush, and watching Rio endeared these men to my heart!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

I don't know if the expensive R40 set includes the Rio documentary. If it doesn't, get Rio. I got mine before the second leg of the CA tour began and paid only three dollars (plus, at the time, only $2.99 p/h) on Amazon. Now, that was a deal!!! :)

R40 has the codumentary.

You don't even notice the crowd. And they don't drown them out. At least, I didn't think they did. Geddy and Alex were so alive during Rio! Even Neil looked happy!! :)

Like I said, it was my reintroduction to Rush, and watching Rio endeared these men to my heart!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

The band are so delighted that it's a ball to watch.

i may have to pop it on now.

Mick

• Like 1

Rough sound. Rarely watch Rio, as great as the show itself is.

Me too, which is sad because it was obviously a fantastic show but terribly recorded. Reading the booklet made me mad where they were saying how they were basically throwing everything together at the last minute, why didn't they properly prepare? They're supposed to be professionals here. Sounds like a bad bootleg, Geddy is completely drowned out in the mix. Was it like that at the show, people who attended this concert?

You couldn't really tell if the mix was good or bad...imagine being engulfed in that much screaming and jumping? Also, a stadium is not an environment the band crew is used to, so getting the proper sound must have been an unusually tough task.

Reading through this thread has made me make RiR a must watch tonight. I saw VT tour six times I couldn't get enough of RUSH upon their return to rock icons. Loved the DVDs seeing this band in front of so many people with thAT much enthusiasm....the band HAD TO LOVE THIS FAN REACTION!
  • Like 2

Is it verified that RiR from R40 really sounds better than the DVD?

Here in Europe Rush in Rio blu ray has just been released on its own and I bought it two weeks ago (I didn't buy the R40 boxset because I already owned R30, S&A, TM and CA live blurays)

IMO both sound and image have improved a little but don't expect miracles.

• Like 1

Fantastic show. For me it's a great example of a band in top form taken to another level by an enthusiastic crowd. The two really feed off each other. Crowd lifts band, band lifts crowd again and again. One of my all time favourite rock performances ever. Sooooo uplifting.
  • Like 1