Any love for Cold Fire?

Segue Myles

It was long after midnight,

when we got to unconventional love.

Great song. I still remember how Geds used to joke sometimes at the shows about it being a country song.

I really like the song.

I got into Rush when CP was the newest album and my local radio played the crap out of this song for a long time. Whenever I hear the song it always reminds me of the excitement I had when I was first getting into the band. I'm surprised it was never played again after the CP tour. I was always under the impression it was the most popular single off the album.

It was a single?

Should have been released before Stink It Out.

Stick It Out sucks...

The one Rush song I have no problem saying I truly, truly, truly HATE! If that was my introduction I would not have proceeded any further.

Why? Maybe you've explained before, but what is it about it that gives you the twitch?

The lyrics, the mix, the production, the vocals, the dreadful chorus, the fact it is a single and fairly well known.

Awful song and it really jaded my view of the whole album. In fact, because it is only the second song on the album, I find it puts me off ever playing CP.

That's a lot of reasons.

• Like 1

Cold Fire's music is killer.

The lyrics are good, but not very Rushy.

Plus I've had that ALL night argument with a broad in my younger days, I do not reflect on it so positively.

Thank God I am older and wiser, now if an argument begins, I go, 'You win' and go to bed...

Great song, esp the solo. Seems like Alex captured the feel of an argument in that jangly solo. He's great at catching the sentiment of the song in his solos, like he did similarly with his Ghost of a Chance solo.
  • Like 1

One of the best songs from Counterparts, along with Animate and Leave That Thing Alone.

The chorus is the best part, so powerful!

• Like 1

It's a lot like a lot of other songs from CP, T4E and S&A...they start out rocking and then the verse downtempos into something that sucks a large part of the energy off the intro...and it's those types of songs, I think, that would lead the more casual fans to say "Their stuff doesn't ROCK anymore!"

Take a song like, oh, Armor & Sword. Starts off with a slower but very deliberate beat, then gets slower. Compare that to something like...Between The Wheels. At the KC R40 show, that was the song of the night, IMO. It has a slow deliberate beat that actually speeds up during the chorus.

I remember during the CP tour, Cold Fire just done kilt the momentum of the early part of the show. The show opened as such:

Dreamline

The Spirit of Radio

The Analog Kid

Cold Fire

The first verse of Cold Fire, waves upon waves of people across the arena started sitting down.

This has always been a personal theory of mine, but mismatching of tempos from intros to verses to choruses in a way is a bane of latter-day Rush. That's what for me put me over the top on Clockwork Angels...everything finally fit.

Yes, CF has really grown on me over the years. Used to not care for it that much, but it's become one of my most played tracks off CP. Alex does some great riffing on there, also superb vocalizing by Ged, and there are a lot of little nuances in the song that are crystal clear with *that* album's mix, but that would be lost on another. With say RTB's production, I don't think I would enjoy the song as much. Edited by TexMike

I used to like Cold Fire a lot more than I do now, for some reason. I still find it a cool little tune with a great solo, but just don't appreciate it all that much anymore.