One of the BEST songs of 70's Rush

DirkPrattLerxst

Dope song. So many cool things about it:

-- Excellent "pastoral" intro.

-- Really hip effect from the way they drop out a beat from some of the measures in the big chordal opening figure. A great example of something Rush always did better than anyone else IMO, play oddball time signatures in a way that felt groovy and natural.

-- Insane drum fills, insane vocals, Alex's finest "major chords and more major chords, thank you" riff writing.

-- Love the jam under the guitar solo; an example of Rush playing a normal time signature with odd accents that feels funky and weird yet still totally grooves. If you think about it, this is a precursor to the instrumental section of Freewill... an oddly-accented 12/8 groove with an outside-y guitar solo...

-- And the breakdown into a more traditional rock beat for the second half of the instrumental break. So good.

-- I love when a band makes an effort to unify lyrical themes across an album... "Closer to the Heart" gets a namecheck here. Always thought that was neat.

Nice breakdown

I'd like to add the fact that at 10 years old and hearing RUSH for the first time, I was like "**** yeah, I love her voice"

;)

Love the song, and that time for RUSH was magical

Most of my favorite songs of the 70's come from Permanent Waves.

Don't let Zumbi hear you say that...otherwise...

That solo. That is freaking inspired.

The beginning of it gave me fits! I think I got the rest of it OK though.

• Like 1

From the seventies I'm all over Circumstances because it's so damn HEAVY!!! AFTK rocks though!!!

Welcome to the TRF. If you love AFTK and ATWAS you are certainly welcome here... :cheers: :cool:
  • Like 1

From the seventies I'm all over Circumstances because it's so damn HEAVY!!! AFTK rocks though!!!

Welcome to the TRF. If you love AFTK and ATWAS you are certainly welcome here... :cheers: :cool:

Oh yeah!!! It takes me back to my youth. Great times!!!

• Like 2

Oh yeah!!! It takes me back to my youth. Great times!!!

Sweet... :cheers: :codger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvDa1YznYY

I am just to tired to correct everybody...

If they wants to be wrong, then fine...

The correct answer is that Permanent Waves is a 80s album, even Rush say so.

And all those people that think otherwise are just wrong. But like I say, I am just to tired to correct them...

You are wrong. If the band says it's an 80's album they are wrong. The band is not infallible even Neil Peart, which I sadly learned through Rolling Stone magazine.

Still love ya bra. ;)

• Like 1

And all those people that think otherwise are just wrong. But like I say, I am just to tired to correct them...

Sorry Zumbi, but no amount of energy will be enough energy to argue against the indisputable facts that the record was written, recorded, designed and packaged in the 70s.

God I sound like a certain someone from the Forum's past, don't I . . .

• Like 2

Never mind - didn't read the exchange closely enough.

Good move on your part... :)

Sorry Zumbi, but no amount of energy will be enough energy to argue against the indisputable facts that the record was written, recorded, designed and packaged in the 70s.

:yes:

But it was released January 1, 1980. Which makes it a 80s album!

End of this thing now...

End of this thing now...

I love my time machine. I heard the "80s album" :wacko: in the 70s...

End of this thing now...

I love my time machine. I heard the "80s album" :wacko: in the 70s...

Me too. Amazing...

With apologies to all who are sick of the argument...

Zumbi, Zumbi, Zumbi, my friend, mi amigo, mon ami. I know you like your things, your physical objects, things that can be bought, things that you can buy two copies of, one to play on your physical turntable and one to keep in its wrapper, unopened, to protect it from the wear and tear that would decrease its future value. You seem to have enough disposable income to indulge in your favorite hobby, the purchasing of products tied to your favorite band. That's great - I'd much rather you spend your money on a great rock band than, say, drugs and online gambling.

But you're talking about the necessary physical by-product of artistic creation, and that's all it is. Yes, the product - the plastic, vinyl, paper and cardboard the constitutes the physical record - was released on Jan 1, 1980. Who knows why? Maybe the band or management thought, "wouldn't it be swell to be the first to release an album in the new decade?" Maybe the forces of marketing and production and shipping created a delay that prevented a Christmas release. Who knows?

What the band creates, though - those incredible songs about integrity and choice and beautiful natural phenomena and human relationships - that was done in the late 70s. Music in the abstract, creative bonding, long hours getting the sounds to blend just right. All 70s, baby! Total 70s vibe. Whatever was happening to the musical zeitgeist in the late 70s was going to bleed into Rush music. But other forces decided when the product would be released.

What matters more to you - the plastic or the music?

You're a good dude, Zumbi. Love your passion for the band's music. But if you respond to this post, I hope it's with something more substantial than "you're wrong! It was released in the 80s so therefore it's an 80s record!" Even the old smiles n' chuckles we knew as Savagegrace would have come up with a more thoughtful argument than that.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I love A Farewell to Kings, I think it is probably the best thing on the album aside from Xanadu and maybe Cygnus X-1.

I would go as far as to herald it as the best 4-5 min 70's Rush song.

I love A Farewell to Kings, I think it is probably the best thing on the album aside from Xanadu and maybe Cygnus X-1.

I would go as far as to herald it as the best 4-5 min 70's Rush song.

I like that this post appears to deftly sidestep the nonsensical argument brewing above it to bring us back to the topic at hand, then just rips that wound right back open again. ;)