Why dosen´t Geddy have as many keyboards now?

YYZumbi

I was watching A Show Of Hands in yesterday. And I noticed that Geddy had four keyboards on stage. These days he only have one.

How come he does not use four keyboards these days?

Back then it was mostly analog, so he couldn't get all his sounds on one keyboard. Nowadays, with MIDI, he can load up the proper sounds on one keyboard in an instant. I think he still uses a MiniMoog too.

Thanks for a great answer! :)

For the recent tours, the top keyboard was a small synthesizer while the bottom keyboard is a whole music workstation. It's primarily used as a digital piano, but is also a sampler.

Because if you look at the setlists, and how they were playing the songs at the time, there was a lot more he needed. In this day and age, he's opting to play bass as much as he can and less synth, so he needs less. This, as well as the previous Analog/MIDI poiint raised before, wood probably steer you close to the answer

Geddy never really had as many keyboards as you think. On the HYF tour, one of the "keyboards" was actually a cigar humidor, while another "keyboard" was really an ice chest, well stocked with beer. You could always spot that one, because Lerxst was constantly trying to get into it.
  • Like 1

Because technology has advanced to the point that he doesn't need all that. Computers used to be so big they filled a room. Now we can hold one in the palm of our hand.

Well, he has never considered himself as keyboardist at all. If i dont consider myself a guitarrist, i wont have 5 guitars.

Maybe he needed the 4 keyboards back then, but remember technology has also improved a lot. A piano is at the same time a keyboard and a trumpet and even a drum. God knows

I think it was clear that in the eighties he was a huge poser. He just wanted to look cool, like Wakeman or Emerson: "look at me, look at all the keyboards I can play!"

It was pretty damned obnoxious, but he's matured a lot since then.

I think it was clear that in the eighties he was a huge poser. He just wanted to look cool, like Wakeman or Emerson: "look at me, look at all the keyboards I can play!"

Uh, no....The 80s wasn't like the 2000s, digital stuff was still in it's primitive state. He needed all four keyboards.

They don't play any instruments live these days,it's all sequencers and samples, everyone knows that, Geddy just presses a note on the keyboard and it's all taken care of!

LIPSYNCGATE 2015

Edited by fraroc

Uh, no....The 80s wasn't like the 2000s, digital stuff was still in it's primitive state. He needed all four keyboards.

I stand corrected.

:eyeroll:

Basically todays keyboards can load digital samples of vintage synthesizers and play them . In the 1980s and the early 1990s you couldn't get the same sounds on a Oberheim OB-8 as you could on a Fairlight CMI or Wave PPG.Now the Roland Fantom X7 he uses is a monster workstation and actually has a 16 track recording studio on it with onboard effects. He uses the new minimoog also for solos thats the smaller one on top. With todays technology all Rush has to do is load samples of the fills Geddy used to be tasked with playing live and assign them to a certain key or bass pedal or even drum pad. I wouldn't be surprised just as a back up if there isn't a laptop or two offstage . But the Roland is a beast and has good reliability. Unlike the analogue equipment of the 1980s . Edited by patjnev

He will be using an iphone next(not as silly as it sounds,i run various gizmos for my guitar through an iphone)

I wonder though how much of the live show is not really being played live, some of it is obviously a sample such as the backing vocals, the rap section on RTB and we know that the keyboard intro to Mission for example is triggered by Geddy hitting only one key, but what other sections are there? Anyone take a guess?