Am I the only one that think that Neils drum solos are boring?

YYZumbi

I actually liked the big band section of his solos, but I don't really enjoy anyone's solos that much. I'd gladly give them up for another song....even an instrumental.

I'm not a huge drum solo guy -- or any single instrument solo for that matter. When there's a band present, I just see as single-instrument solos as excuses to give other bands members are breather, which is understandable... But, since there's an entire band there, I'd rather see them all play, it's a no-brainer.

The more music, the better.

I'll shoehorn this in here, because I like this solo a lot. Short, accompanied by big band, drum-centric... Just a really refreshing drum solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

Cool. I wonder if that CD is solid?

What the hell is he doing with that tube??

When I think of Neil and how fantastic he is on drums, I think of the into to Anthem, or the way he propels Cygnus X1, or the brilliance of Natural Science - and I couldn't leave out the atmosphere he creates with the tubular bells - I love that as it is so musical ..

I don't think of drum solos

Geddy is my all time favorite bassist, and I also happen to think he's got the sweetest, best chops ever ... he never ruined a good thing with some drawn-out solo .....

Edited by Lucas

And I hesitate to say this, but it is part of what I feel about music - but with Neil and his solos - he never looks like he's having fun or enjoying it - and with drums, that is, IMHO, really important

I didn't care for the jazz solos too much,they just seemed out of place(i do like jazz but not in a Rush gig).

As a rule yes. Boring. I dont always listen to Nrils solo spots but when I do Im constantly amazed.

Luxas I think the joy is inherent. Neil never looks like hes having fun playing. I dont think thats because he isnt. Thats just his drum face.

And I hesitate to say this, but it is part of what I feel about music - but with Neil and his solos - he never looks like he's having fun or enjoying it - and with drums, that is, IMHO, really important

I'd say he IS having fun, he just looks like he's not. For Neil, I think being totally concentrated on his work IS fun. And when he does nail those solos I'd bet it's one of his most joyous things on the planet.

• Like 1

Is that why they used to get the loudest applause of the night? It was obvious. Maybe the shorter solos nowdays don't make quite the same impact, but c'mon....we're talking about a guy who built a big part of his reputation as best rock drummer through drum solos.

Zumbi, I guess you're not the only one, based on the evidence here. But as for me and mine...in this house, we worship the Neil!

Seriously...in 30-35 years of paying attention to his playing, I have never, ever gotten tired of anything he's ever played. I love it all.

Then again, I am a drummer. Maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I'm not a big fan of drum solos in general....and I'm a drummer, so...

To tell you the truth...those three minute solos were perfect...he played more stuff in a short amount of time, and they just didn't seem to go on and on. Now that he seems to do shorter solos now, it's a little better, but those 8-9 minute ones were a little over the top...

Familiarity breeds contempt in this case

Back in the day Neil`s Solos blew your mind

If you saw him doing a solo for the first time live at any stage in the Rush long career you will be in awe .

But I think they are a bit too robotic over the last few years

Not a huge fan of solos because I would also rather hear a song in those time frames instead. But I suppose if you play the instrument with any level of proficiency, you may appreciate and understand the difficulty of certain aspects of the solo and perhaps notice a lot of other little things that might go completely over the head of a non-player.

With that said, if I must watch a drum solo, then it must be Neil Peart playing that solo. :)

• Like 2

I love them if I can actually see him playing it, like at a concert, or watching a DVD. Seeing it is part of the fun.

I often skip them on an album, though.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

I must say the best drum solo i have seen in person was Jack DeJonette playing with McCoy Tyner. The way he built the solo was mindblowing. At first it looked like he really was doing nothing. When the band came back it in it was like Holy f**k they just transcended the stage. When the tune was all over I realized...he played the entire song with brushes.
  • Like 1

No Zumbi. they were my bathroom breaks.

Neil is great playing with the band. but his solos.........just not interesting.

Mick

I got bored last night during his long solo. In general, a minute or so is more than enough for me from any drummer.

I love them if I can actually see him playing it, like at a concert, or watching a DVD. Seeing it is part of the fun.

I often skip them on an album, though.

I had a great view of Neil last night, right above from the left. What continues yo amaze me is his playing during songs as opposed to the solos. And it's not the killer fills that most impresses me. It's how hard he hits the drums just keeping the beat. Incredible force.
  • Like 2

I tend to be a "bathroom breaker" during drum solos for most acts, though I'll stick around for Neil because he's always at least trying to do something interesting. I'm glad he left the "swing band" stuff behind, though, I was never as into that. I thought the CA tour plan of doing three mini-solos was very good. They were consice and well composed.

I'd rather have another song, sure, but I will say, the first time I took my girlfriend to a Rush show, she was really impressed by Neil's solo. And she's a much more casual fan, and not someone who I would've thought was really into drum solos or anything like that. But it was interesting for me to see how a "layperson" could be really intrigued and entertained by something I had grown jaded about.

• Like 2

I tend to be a "bathroom breaker" during drum solos for most acts, though I'll stick around for Neil because he's always at least trying to do something interesting. I'm glad he left the "swing band" stuff behind, though, I was never as into that. I thought the CA tour plan of doing three mini-solos was very good. They were consice and well composed.

I'd rather have another song, sure, but I will say, the first time I took my girlfriend to a Rush show, she was really impressed by Neil's solo. And she's a much more casual fan, and not someone who I would've thought was really into drum solos or anything like that. But it was interesting for me to see how a "layperson" could be really intrigued and entertained by something I had grown jaded about.

You hit yhe nail right there. For the person at their first or second show the solo is otherworldly. My favorite solo ever from Neil was the one where I got to watch my daughter's reactions. Edited by goose

his small solos in the middle of songs (e.g. the one in Headlong Fight) are great because they add some more energy to a song and change it a little. I like watching his full drum solos, just watching him play fascinates me.
  • Like 1

Not a huge fan of solos because I would also rather hear a song in those time frames instead. But I suppose if you play the instrument with any level of proficiency, you may appreciate and understand the difficulty of certain aspects of the solo and perhaps notice a lot of other little things that might go completely over the head of a non-player.

With that said, if I must watch a drum solo, then it must be Neil Peart playing that solo. :)

Yup, exactly.