Least Favorite 1980's Rush Song

Presto11

For me, its a tie between Marathon and Anagram.

Marathon just never did anything for me musically. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the tempo to it or something, but for me it just sits in this plodding pace, and never really seems like it musically says anything. The lyrics are also pretty bad. And they're not bad in a fun or unique way like Red Lenses, for instance. Marathon's lyrics just mince all sorts of cheesy running terms together to not really say anything.

Anagram is bad lyrics for fun and uniqueness, but the song is boring, and sometimes the words aren't even fun and silly, they just sound like nonsense. Package that with boring piano and really nothing else happening... Meh.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Shows you the difference in tastes. Marathon is the song that got me into Rush.

As to Anagram, well, I have to think really hard before I can remember what it even sounds like, so I guess that says something.

Limelight? Superconductor? Toss up between those two. Love everything else released in that decade.

Limelight? Really?

I respect your opinion but this is a very unusual point of view, inasmuch as Limelight is generally regarded as a canonical Rush classic.

Part of this I'm sure is because I'm sick of hearing it and it never holds my attention the way other Rush songs do. (Even Tom Sawyer manages to do that.)

But it just isn't all that interesting to me. I get the lyrics and the message, but there isn't much more to interpret from them.

I also know it's Alex's favorite solo and I'm sure he has his reasons (which only he experienced) but for me it's kind of boring. I can think of dozens of solos I like better. (Grace Under Pressure alone has four or five.) Not really a fan of the multi-track approach to the guitar on this song either.

I just don't think it's a very dynamic song. (That may be a reason why it's a classic rock staple...I don't know.) If pushed, I think the outro is ok, but it looks even weaker when compared to the other three songs on that side of the album.

I'll admit it's fairly unusual not to like it but it just doesn't excite me the way other Rush songs do.

So while I'll admit it's generally considered a "classic," it doesn't mean that I have to like it

Interesting to see a song that is considered classic common ground for all fans disliked - and disliked to the point of being considered the worst of the decade - esp in a decade where there is a lot to choose from

I don't feel the same way, but I think that is what makes these threads more interesting

Not a lot to choose from for me. Just those two.

• Like 1

New World Man is a song that has been intentionally deleted from all my music libraries.

I have only heard it on radio or in concert. And on radio it is the ONLY Rush song I will change the channel.

Limelight? Superconductor? Toss up between those two. Love everything else released in that decade.

Limelight? Really?

I respect your opinion but this is a very unusual point of view, inasmuch as Limelight is generally regarded as a canonical Rush classic.

Part of this I'm sure is because I'm sick of hearing it and it never holds my attention the way other Rush songs do. (Even Tom Sawyer manages to do that.)

But it just isn't all that interesting to me. I get the lyrics and the message, but there isn't much more to interpret from them.

I also know it's Alex's favorite solo and I'm sure he has his reasons (which only he experienced) but for me it's kind of boring. I can think of dozens of solos I like better. (Grace Under Pressure alone has four or five.) Not really a fan of the multi-track approach to the guitar on this song either.

I just don't think it's a very dynamic song. (That may be a reason why it's a classic rock staple...I don't know.) If pushed, I think the outro is ok, but it looks even weaker when compared to the other three songs on that side of the album.

I'll admit it's fairly unusual not to like it but it just doesn't excite me the way other Rush songs do.

So while I'll admit it's generally considered a "classic," it doesn't mean that I have to like it

Interesting to see a song that is considered classic common ground for all fans disliked - and disliked to the point of being considered the worst of the decade - esp in a decade where there is a lot to choose from

I don't feel the same way, but I think that is what makes these threads more interesting

Not a lot to choose from for me. Just those two.

That makes it even more interesting

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I like almost ALL of the 80's Rush. Power Windows is one of my favorite albums ever, and GUP has really begun to grow on me as well. My least favorite would be something from Hold Your Fire...not sure what though.

Also, first post on the forums!

Power Windows is one of my favourite albums too! :D Mad respect.

The Body Electric, Mystic Rhythms, and Turn the Page are all quite bad.

MYSTIC RHYTHMS!?!?!?!?!? Shame on you.

I heartily disagree with The Body Electric and Turn the Page as well. The former I can understand some people not liking...I guess. But Turn the Page? Seriously?

• Like 1

I heartily disagree with The Body Electric and Turn the Page as well. The former I can understand some people not liking...I guess. But Turn the Page? Seriously?

I'm right.

I'm right.

You are a legend in your own lunchbox, apparently. Heh heh.

To each his or her own, though.

I'm right.

Yes. In threads like these, EVERYONE is right.