Least Favorite 1980's Rush Song

Presto11

I may be in the minority, but I like almost ALL of the 80's Rush. Power Windows is one of my favorite albums ever, and GUP has really begun to grow on me as well. My least favorite would be something from Hold Your Fire...not sure what though.

Also, first post on the forums!

Welcome. You have good taste in music for sure. 80's Rush rules!

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I like almost ALL of the 80's Rush. Power Windows is one of my favorite albums ever, and GUP has really begun to grow on me as well. My least favorite would be something from Hold Your Fire...not sure what though.

Welcome. You have good taste in music for sure. 80's Rush rules!

Yes all the good stuff is here: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/93956-the-synth-era-essential-greatness/#entry3588613

Welcome meanmeanpride !!

Edited by Lucas

Easily Anagram (For Mongo). Stands out in no way for me. Really rather boring, in a RTB kind of way. Have to say though, I don't dislike any of it.

I remember hearing instrumental parts of Mystic Rhythms used as generic background music for a PBS nature documentary sometime around 1990 or so and thinking what a statement that made about how much their music had lost its edge.

On the one hand I thought it was cool ("Wow! They're using Mystic Rhythms as the background music!"), but on the other I thought it was ominous ("Hmmm... Rush music can now be seamlessly interspersed with generic PBS documentary background music").

[Apologies to fans of Mystic Rhythms; just my honest opinion]

Edited by rftag

Tai Shan is awful but is an experiment. Superconductor is bad and there is no excuse.

Here's living proof of that assertion

That's several minutes of my life I'm never going to get back.

• Like 2

Tai Shan is awful but is an experiment. Superconductor is bad and there is no excuse.

What were they thinking? Were they thinking?

The video is soooo cheesy ( some of the crowd shots make me cringe).

Alex's "superconductor superconductor" vocal contribution is truly wince inducing.

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYP5XP0Rlk

What were they thinking? Were they thinking?

The video is soooo cheesy ( some of the crowd shots make me cringe).

Alex's "superconductor superconductor" vocal contribution is truly wince inducing.

• Like 1

The only track I really ever skip is Red Sector A. I just went through the entire 80s collection, yep, that's the only one.

Can't say it's a bad song at all, just don't really enjoy it.

Tai Shan is a bad song, but I enjoy it. :LOL: It relaxes me.

How do you pick just one?

All of Presto except Show Don't Tell

Chemistry

Digital Man

Red Lenses

Middletown Dreams

Tai Shan

HIgh Water

Coming off a decade of nothing but greatness (well, except for CoS and Tears) and a perfect first album of the decade in MP, it's incredibly disappointing that they could put out a clunker like Presto.

• Like 2

How do you pick just one?

All of Presto except Show Don't Tell

Chemistry

Digital Man

Red Lenses

Middletown Dreams

Tai Shan

HIgh Water

Coming off a decade of nothing but greatness (well, except for CoS and Tears) and a perfect first album of the decade in MP, it's incredibly disappointing that they could put out a clunker like Presto.

Blasphemy!

Superconductor is just about the only track from Presto that I don't like.

Edited by driven_to_xanadu
  • Like 1

Limelight? Superconductor? Toss up between those two. Love everything else released in that decade.

Limelight? Really?

I respect your opinion but this is a very unusual point of view, inasmuch as Limelight is generally regarded as a canonical Rush classic.

• Like 2

For me, its a tie between Marathon and Anagram.

Marathon just never did anything for me musically. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the tempo to it or something, but for me it just sits in this plodding pace, and never really seems like it musically says anything. The lyrics are also pretty bad. And they're not bad in a fun or unique way like Red Lenses, for instance. Marathon's lyrics just mince all sorts of cheesy running terms together to not really say anything.

Anagram is bad lyrics for fun and uniqueness, but the song is boring, and sometimes the words aren't even fun and silly, they just sound like nonsense. Package that with boring piano and really nothing else happening... Meh.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

• Like 1