Least Favorite 1980's Rush Song

Presto11

I'm not trying to be edgy or anything and I love this song live. But the last song I put on to listen to alone is Tom Sawyer. I only listen to Tom Sawyer live or through full album listens. It's easily their worst song of the 80's it's just crap compared to anything off Power Windows. Presto also blows it out of the water, every song on there.

Tom Sawyer is Rush's worst song of the 80's hands down. But I love synth Rush.

I love attention too, but try to get it some other way, man...

• Like 4

You Bet Your Life

That was the 90's.

See?!!! That's how shit it is! It makes me think 1991 is actually in the 80s!!! I hear that "Hindu Muslim Catholic Creation..." bollocks and I forget numbers and years!!!

I don't mind that song actually, it's got a cool guitar riff.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be edgy or anything and I love this song live. But the last song I put on to listen to alone is Tom Sawyer. I only listen to Tom Sawyer live or through full album listens. It's easily their worst song of the 80's it's just crap compared to anything off Power Windows. Presto also blows it out of the water, every song on there.

I knew this would be the response I got :( but it's my actual feelings on the subject. If I could only play one song from Rush 80-89 ever again, the last song I would ever play would be Tom Sawyer.

Okay what makes Tom Sawyer so amazing? I don't get it, it's a great song but it's definitely the worst song on Moving Pictures, if not of the whole 80's.

I like "High Water". Although, Turn the Page would have made a much better album closer.

I can see that, but more than 50% of the time Rush have been kind of known to close with the slower song? In The End Countdown, Between the Wheels, Mystic Rhythms, Avalilable Light, Everyday Glory, Carve Away the Stone, We Hold On, The Garden

It's a theme.

• Like 1

I think that most album closers in the decade are great. They include Available Light, a High Water, Mystic Rythms, Between the Wheels, Countdown, and Vital Signs. My least favorite from each album

Presto-Hand Over Fist

Hold Your Fire-Prime Mover

Power Windows-Emotion. Detector

Grace Under Pressure-Afterimage

Signals-Chemistry

Moving Pictures-Limelight

• Like 1

I think that most album closers in the decade are great. They include Available Light, a High Water, Mystic Rythms, Between the Wheels, Countdown, and Vital Signs. My least favorite from each album

Presto-Hand Over Fist

Signals-Chemistry

What about Permanent Waves it was released January 1st, 1980

• Like 1

I knew this would be the response I got :( but it's my actual feelings on the subject. If I could only play one song from Rush 80-89 ever again, the last song I would ever play would be Tom Sawyer.

Okay what makes Tom Sawyer so amazing? I don't get it, it's a great song but it's definitely the worst song on Moving Pictures, if not of the whole 80's.

"What makes Tom Sawyer so amazing"? Pick an aspect. Staying away from the obvious "guitars, drums, bass" answer, lyrically it's one of their most forceful. The aggressiveness of the lyrics perfectly match the aggressiveness of the music. Vocally, Geddy really goes through it all: part of 70's Geddy is still there but at the same time you can see that he's trying to be more melodic with those vocals. For all the praise I give it, it's still not even my favorite (or 2nd favorite) off Moving Pictures. But no way would it come close to the bottom. If you think it's the worst, to each his own. I'm not trying to convince you. Just answering your question.

• Like 1

Presto-Hand Over Fist

Signals-Chemistry

If you say Natural Science is your 2nd least favorite after Tom Sawyer then I know you're just taking the piss. ;)

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I like almost ALL of the 80's Rush. Power Windows is one of my favorite albums ever, and GUP has really begun to grow on me as well. My least favorite would be something from Hold Your Fire...not sure what though.

Also, first post on the forums!

• Like 5

Presto-Hand Over Fist

Signals-Chemistry

If you say Natural Science is your 2nd least favorite after Tom Sawyer then I know you're just taking the piss. ;)

Natural Science is amazing!!! Camera Eye is probably my favorite off of Moving Pictures

"What makes Tom Sawyer so amazing"? Pick an aspect. Staying away from the obvious "guitars, drums, bass" answer, lyrically it's one of their most forceful. The aggressiveness of the lyrics perfectly match the aggressiveness of the music. Vocally, Geddy really goes through it all: part of 70's Geddy is still there but at the same time you can see that he's trying to be more melodic with those vocals. For all the praise I give it, it's still not even my favorite (or 2nd favorite) off Moving Pictures. But no way would it come close to the bottom. If you think it's the worst, to each his own. I'm not trying to convince you. Just answering your question.

All good points, I guess my arguments to disagree would be this:

It's one of Neil's most complicated songs with a really entertaining drum part. The guitar and bass parts on the other hand are one of the simplest Rush have ever written. I'm not arguing that complicated = good. I'm saying the verses are boring, musically. The synth is really weird, I like the background bass pedals but that aggressive lead is cool but also a little cheesy sounding compared to Ged's other stuff. The bass line on this song is SOOOO BORING compared to any of their other singles from this time. The guitar solo though really neat and different just lacks the emotion and journey that Alex can usually make.

The lyrics weren't even written by Neil(like Force Ten and Test For Echo which I think are both better than this song). Just edited by him. It just feels off to me, It wasn't the first Rush song I heard so maybe that's why. I think it sounds the least impressive, captivating or what ever. Still a really fun song, just not compared to the other stuff they were putting out IMO.

I like that a really weird song became their biggest hit, that's so Rush.

At least Tai Shan has a really interesting Bass line, Geddy only gets like 30 seconds to shine on Tom Sawyer.

I'm a bass player so maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by kentpilot

Too many to choose from. Power Windows and Presto are the pits with few exceptional songs on either one. Hold Your Fire is almost in the same category.

oy........lorraine.

Love ya anyway. :D

Mick

• Like 2

Oh i forgot Hand over Fist. Not so much the music or lyrics. it's ged's vocal. it's annoying.

"Scissors cut the papah and the papah......"

uhh....it's his pronunciations there, lol

Mick

• Like 1