Calgary post-show

bootlegguy

Where are my other Alberta fans at? How was everyone's night?

I was very pleased that the band seemed to do a same-set on Denver SLC which changed out order up. I was really glad to get switched into Between the Wheels and Camera eye.

Sound was pretty bad the first few songs but they got it sorted out after that. It was the R40 experience that I have hoped for for years. I don't think I could ask for more. If that is indeed IT, I can say they went out with a bang, on a high note.

• Like 1

Bootlegguy-

Really enjoyed the show! Had a great seat on the floor (Row 4), so had an amazing view of the band.

I had been avoiding spoilers for the most part in terms of set list, and did not watch one live clip. So I was glad to hear BTW, and TCE. Highlights for me were The Wreckers, Jacobs Ladder and Xanadu. The Clockwork stuff is really growing on me live, and I also really dug Animate in the set.

On a side note, it was the first show that I have seen where Alex didn't seem to be his bobbity self. His playing was great, he just seemed to be wincing at times. He was better in the 2nd set for sure, but it makes me think the arthritis is probably bugging him big time. Ged was on fire!

Still have not received my VIP swag, anyone have any info?

• Like 1

Those are nice tickets! For this show I had by far the worst tickets I have ever had for Rush. My luck had to run out sooner or later. I was 4 rows up, lower bowl at the start of the sound board. Not bad, I will never top my front row experience 2 years ago. But I would have loved the show from the worst seats in the house anyways. It was not as easy to see from where I was, but it's possible Alex was not nearly as Smiley-goofy Alex as he was in previous tours in Edmonton. In the BTW intro and outro I just wished the guitar was louder, I want those mean growls to be peeling everyone's faces off!

I really hope there is another leg and it makes it to Edmonton. The Saddledome is a horrible arena for a concert. It makes our old barn that will soon be replaced look pretty good in comparison.

Edited by bootlegguy
  • Like 1

I quite enjoyed the show, it was nice to hear set B (or the deep cut set as I call it). I am not sure whether I preferred this show, or their St. Paul show better (Set C), as both had their own fun moments to them. I definitely thought the crowd was better in Calgary though, a much more responsive crowd with a better age and gender diversity, with lots of people to have friendly chats with (The Minneapolis show was surprisingly full of older men who seemed to keep to their group from perspective). Did anyone here get a picture with the hockey kit?

Im just glad you mad it back to Alberta for another show RushBoingo! I was happy with the crowd in YYC. Even thought we weren't right up front most of the people seemed to be legit fans and enoying themselves. There was a couple in front of us, a little older than us mid late 30's. They were right into it, singing every word, even the first sets material. Lots of people chatting with us. When we ate dinner downtown a fan saw my shirt and started telling me he had seen the show in Toronto 3 weeks ago and that we were going to LOVE it! There seemed to be a decent amount of females, including some younger ones. My wife and I weren't the only ones that took the rare opportunity during LakeSide Park to have a dance with the S/O in the stands. NEVER thought I would hear that one live.

As for the drum kit, as soon as the venue opened up and we found it the lineup was VERY long. After not long we gave up and decided to head for our seats.

I was surprised that they did not make any mention of how long it has been since they played Calgary (2007) or the whole flooded out venue and finally making it back etc

Edited by bootlegguy

Im just glad you mad it back to Alberta for another show RushBoingo! I was happy with the crowd in YYC. Even thought we weren't right up front most of the people seemed to be legit fans and enoying themselves. There was a couple in front of us, a little older than us mid late 30's. They were right into it, singing every word, even the first sets material. Lots of people chatting with us. When we ate dinner downtown a fan saw my shirt and started telling me he had seen the show in Toronto 3 weeks ago and that we were going to LOVE it! There seemed to be a decent amount of females, including some younger ones. My wife and I weren't the only ones that took the rare opportunity during LakeSide Park to have a dance with the S/O in the stands. NEVER thought I would hear that one live.

As for the drum kit, as soon as the venue opened up and we found it the lineup was VERY long. After not long we gave up and decided to head for our seats.

I was surprised that they did not make any mention of how long it has been since they played Calgary (2007) or the whole flooded out venue and finally making it back etc

Yeah, I was glad to make it back to Alberta again, its a fun province. It is very interesting to see the difference in audience north and south of the 49th. For each of the Canadian Rush shows I have been to, (Vancouver (11), Winnipeg (12), Red Deer (13), and now Calgary (15)) the audience was a nice blend of people, from different cultures and social groups (in particular, the Winnipeg Rush show was swarming with hipsters (that's a good thing)). St. Paul though seemed to be the poster child for the stereotypical Rush concert. Every attendee a white male, most of them over 40. On the drum kit, I never actually knew that the hockey kit was going to be there, but other fans pointed it out to me (it was right at the entrance doors I had picked), and since I was one of the first ones in the building, I ran for the line, and was in and out in under 3 minutes. I got a great shot and it will be a great memento. Sorry the line was so long for you. I assume they avoided mentioning how long it has been since they last played Calgary to avoid mentioning the flood (so to not remind them of the tragedy, or boast that they played a benefit concert)

• Like 1

I was way up in the nosebleeds but enjoyed it. Afterwards I had to run out to my daughters in Airdrie then off to Vancouver.. I actually had to drive half way up Vancouver island and back before making it to the Van show (transporting family around lol) made it though.. Row 12 centre.. It was amazing! Thank you partialgrace! ;) k.. Don't wanna jack the thread here lol. It looked Neil had drum issues in Cowtown ya?? Thought I saw some Gump action down there..