Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

Mr. Not

Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

• Yes, having it censored is f*cking pointless
    • No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior
    • Yes (other reason)
    • No (other reason)

why the f**k not....

i feel it's just a word. it's the energy behind your words that give them meaning...

As a kid, that explanation would never have worked with MommaBlaze. Heard her say more than once, "Watch your mouth or I'll wash it out with soap!" This is despite my vulgarity being a colorful reaction as opposed to negative intent or harm.

Example:

Me (watching the AFC Championship game in the mid-80s): Holy shit! I can believe it! The Patriots are going to the SuperBowl !

MommaBlaze: Watch your mouth or I'll wash it out with soap!

Me: It's just a word Mom. Besides, it's the energy behind my words that give them meaning. And I'm feeling nothing but happy, positive energy!

MommaBlaze: ((smack to my head with a large wooden spoon))

;)

• Like 4

f**k isn't censored. You just have to be special to be allowed to use it.

Well done, but encrypted characters are what I'd classify as inconvenient :LOL:

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

Expand your mind a bit. Seriously.

F♂CK Y♂U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNw4PwVYzSs

...the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

TRF was always meant to be family- and work-friendly. Not G-rated Disney friendly, but friendly enough that a young teen who got into Rush could come here and not feel out of place. That's the main reason for the word filters. We figured the adults who felt they needed to use such words (usually in service of a joke) would simply use the filtered versions and still get their f***ing point across. :)

Then there are the people who don't quite understand such a concept and need it explained to them, as Mr. Not ably demonstrates with this thread.

Going to have to object to the bolded text, there's not much you detailed in this post which wasn't covered by the second poll option I listed:

"No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior"

I was mainly interested in the members' opinions with this thread, and it's proved to be entertaining enough :LOL:

Well done, but encrypted characters are what I'd classify as inconvenient :LOL:

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

Expand your mind a bit. Seriously.

F♂CK Y♂U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNw4PwVYzSs

...the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

TRF was always meant to be family- and work-friendly. Not G-rated Disney friendly, but friendly enough that a young teen who got into Rush could come here and not feel out of place. That's the main reason for the word filters. We figured the adults who felt they needed to use such words (usually in service of a joke) would simply use the filtered versions and still get their f***ing point across. :)

Then there are the people who don't quite understand such a concept and need it explained to them, as Mr. Not ably demonstrates with this thread.

Going to have to object to the bolded text, there's not much you detailed in this post which wasn't covered by the second poll option I listed:

"No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior"

I was mainly interested in the members' opinions with this thread, and it's proved to be entertaining enough :LOL:

If I were you, I would have objected too. But I needed to say it anyway.

As for your claim that my post simply repeated your poll question, well, later in the thread you asked a question ("The real question here is...") and seeing as I had something to do with the implementation of word filter that you asked about, I gave a more detailed answer than you provided in your poll question. :)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 2

Fuckk fucck fuckk fuckk fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckmotherfuck!

Good one tree*uck

• Like 1

That was me,

When I was watching the NCAA college football championship game. Most of the time it was meant in a good way. :D

That was me,

When I was watching the NCAA college football championship game. Most of the time it was meant in a good way. :D

Shouldn't that have been

quackquackquackquack quackerquacker, et cetera?

:P

• Like 1

Who the f u c k cares!

See what I did there

• Like 3

f*cking special, I suppose. Edited by goose
  • Like 1