Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

Mr. Not

Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

• Yes, having it censored is f*cking pointless
    • No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior
    • Yes (other reason)
    • No (other reason)

I thought I was done with this topic a couple of days ago, but I'm going to use it again, because I need to tell you all how much I also despise profanity in the workplace!

Out of all of my pontificating in this thread, I don't want anyone to think that I've never used profanity- yes, of course I have; I think we all probably have. But I'm a lot more conscious of it now than I ever have been, and it bothers me more than it used to to hear it used gratuitously. (One could make a case that when it comes to the f word, any use of it is gratuitous).

But I'm sitting here at my desk, and listening to our manufacturing engineer, in the cubicle next to me, talking about some tooling that he's been working with, trying to make a particular cut to a particular spec on a piece of metal. And in about five minutes of him talking to one other guy, I'm hearing the f word about once every twenty seconds, on average. Is that really necessary?? It just bothers me.

I know I'm off on a tangent- sort of steering away from the original topic. But anyway...there it is.

• Like 1

I thought I was done with this topic a couple of days ago, but I'm going to use it again, because I need to tell you all how much I also despise profanity in the workplace!

Out of all of my pontificating in this thread, I don't want anyone to think that I've never used profanity- yes, of course I have; I think we all probably have. But I'm a lot more conscious of it now than I ever have been, and it bothers me more than it used to to hear it used gratuitously. (One could make a case that when it comes to the f word, any use of it is gratuitous).

But I'm sitting here at my desk, and listening to our manufacturing engineer, in the cubicle next to me, talking about some tooling that he's been working with, trying to make a particular cut to a particular spec on a piece of metal. And in about five minutes of him talking to one other guy, I'm hearing the f word about once every twenty seconds, on average. Is that really necessary?? It just bothers me.

I know I'm off on a tangent- sort of steering away from the original topic. But anyway...there it is.

I understand your point of view,

For me personally its not a word that I bragg about using. Depending on who I am around and why I use it pretty much determines it.

I struggled with it.

Yesterday, when the flow was right and each letter appeared to be falling into the correct order, and as each word seemed to propel me along, I stopped.

A dead stop, an unmitigated stop. An unintended stop; it was more than a pause, more than a period.

A stop, a full stop; a debilitating stop.

One word

One word was all that was stopping me from continuing with a deeply personal poem I’d been working on. It was a one-syllable word at that.

I didn’t want to use it.

I searched for alternatives, but nothing else worked. Not one other word, or a series thereof, could substitute for the word I had used. No other word could convey the rage, or the frustration, in the exact way this word did.

f**k.

The F-word: it’s one of those words. It’s one of those words that traditionally raise eyebrows. It’s one of those words you are told, as a kid, you shouldn’t say. It was a bad word. I remember my brother said f**k one time, in the company of my parents. It was the only time. I recall mom’s eyes bugging out, and dad always had that look when he turned angry.

I learned then I wasn’t going to make the same mistake, ever. f**k, no way.

Yes, it’s one of those words, one of those f***ing words there are really no replacements for, certainly in certain circumstances and depending, of course, on its usage. Check your thesaurus; in many or most (probably all), there are no offerings. I’ve got Roget’s Super Thesaurus 4th Edition on my desk, and it’s not in there.

It’s not even offered as a synonym under intercourse (which casts doubt upon the book jacket’s Amazingly Comprehensive claim).

I don’t use it often, not as often as I should or feel like (more in dialogue than description), and it really has lost its shock appeal; you hear it often in movies and music.

It’s one of those words.

It’s one of those words that has been censored, avoided, painted over, hushed, and stifled for generations. It still appears on public broadcasters’ list of words you cannot say on the airwaves. It’s one of those words that will get bleeped out. It’s one of those words that would get your mouth washed out with soap, or get you sent to the principal’s office.

It’s a bad word.

It’s one of those words there are no real replacements for, like peace (and I realize the folks at Roget have listed a handful of options for this word but, when you think about it. there are no synonyms, not in the true sense of the word).

Now f**k is in the dictionary, noun and verb (Oxford here). Sexual intercourse, mess about, fool around, and, ah, there it is: expressing anger (I knew it fit into what I was writing). It’s no longer listed as slang, as it once was, but it is listed as a highly taboo word.

Come on, f**k off: highly taboo?

It might have been taboo, at one time, like even before my grandparents were procreating. Yes, there are times when the word just doesn’t seem appropriate (but they did, by my calculation, at least four times), but these days almost everybody uses the word, from politicians to sweet little Grade-3 students and their mothers.

You hear it all the time; sometimes it is not well-used, and other times it is placed properly. A lot of times it’s as common as um or uh or like — like, you know, like, like that (and I’m sure you do).

It is a word that means so much, and can say so much. It is a word like love (and if you love, you are probably going to f**k, but you don’t have to love to f**k, then it’s just sex, and if it’s just sex, then you are going to f**k a lot… but I digress).

I’ve heard f**k described as the Swiss Army knife of words: a word for all purposes (perhaps not all occasions). It’s so utilitarian, with many functions.

It describes rage (f**k you) and joy or happiness (f**k yeah), sheer disappointment (oh f**k), sexuality and sensuality (depending on the accent), be it a mistake or a misfit (f**k up), and for a one-syllable word there are so many inflections which make it sound bigger.

It is a useful word, in the right circumstances, and it is a wholeheartedly purposeful word.

f**k is a great curse word. It could, or I can suppose, be a hurtful word. But there are many and more hateful words in the vernacular that are publicly acceptable and are used far too often.

I can think of words associated with any of the -isms (racism, sexism, fascism, capitalism) that I find more offensive, and you can say those words on television and get away with it (it still doesn’t make it right).

It should probably be used more than it is, but it may never be. There are far too many stigmas, stereotypes and old wives’ tales that will continue to silence the word. Sadly.

This world has made progress in so many ways. Times have changed: women can vote (at least on my continent), my gay friends can marry, and even prime time television images can graphically illustrate the actions involved when f***ing (they just can’t show certain parts).

Still you can’t say f**k, not everywhere, not when you want to or need to. Not always. 
It’s a bad word. f**k.

But yesterday, despite my best efforts to find another, it was a good word.

It was the right word.

f**k yeah.

J.G. Lewis
  • Like 3

Using it in conversation IRL is a different thing entirely.

And I agree - I certainly don't want/expect to hear it used in any business/professional environment.

I don't like to hear it in restaurants, even from a bar staff that's trying to be casual, friendly and 'adult'.

Online, that's different. Let it be free.

• Like 1

Using it in conversation IRL is a different thing entirely.

And I agree - I certainly don't want/expect to hear it used in any business/professional environment.

I don't like to hear it in restaurants, even from a bar staff that's trying to be casual, friendly and 'adult'.

Online, that's different. Let it be free.

When curse words are overused, they become immature and unintelligent. There's no doubt about that.

But when used only for emphasis, they're great words. When used in the correct context from the right people, they're great words which I can appreciate.

If you're browsing TRF when you're supposed to be working or with the family then, hey, you get what's coming if you happen upon a "Fuck" word.

• Like 1

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

Expand your mind a bit. Seriously.

F♂CK Y♂U

I rest my case.

If you're denying that for many people "f*ck" is an all-encompassing English expression of anger/disappointment/dissatisfaction/sadness (and the list goes on...) then you're seriously deluding yourself.

This is a web forum, not a classroom... Sometimes, people here like to vent, or post silly inappropriate things... It's not always about trying to 1up one another with book smarts and eloquence, which is what you seem to be aiming at :LOL:

Hey, for a change I actually fully agree with myself from a year ago... Only I'd word it slightly differently as of today...

But, nonetheless :goodone:

I'd add that F*ck is also used for emphasis/sexuality/seduction/dramatic-effect etc.

Edited by Mr. Not

Talking about the word 'f***', I once responded to a post with which it contained that word, and I got my a*se spanked by an Admin. I did apologise for it.

Really? Weird.

I can't remember when it was, but I do know it was about something rather awful, and I said: "that's ....... gross!" and got told off.

On here?

I guess standards have become more lax at TRF...as with lots of other places, too...

(By the way, it was not I who told off the babycat. I would never do such a thing!)

http://niceme.me

Theoretically,

If you're cheating on your wife (who you've had kids with) with a woman who's got to be around two decades younger than you.

Then, holy shit... You should be able to respond with a "What the f*ck!?"

Edited by Mr. Not

C'mon, people! aren't we the 'top of the pops' on earth? Let's use our BRAINS! Creativity is a PLUS!

phuque

I agree with
Maybe members could be go to their user settings and choose whether or not to censor words. Is that a possibility? By default, everything is censored but a user can disable it for themselves if they want to?
That option does not exist on this board, but it's a pretty good idea.
I think this was a very good idea. I find it annoying as well that words gets censored. It´s just stupid... but right now I am writing Fuuck every time instead of f**k
You, of all people, should be happy about this censorship. :D
Why?
What is with Sweden and humor? It must be akin to Americans and historical perspective...or the British and oral prophylaxis.

They probably don't have that much to laugh at ;)

I'm not offended by swearing, but I also don't want to say it/hear it/read it in every sentence, mostly because that is really boring. We've all heard those people whose every other word is "f**k" and listening to them is as about as interesting as someone whose every other word is "like."

I often walk away from my niece as she's speaking, because every other word out of her mouth is either "like" or "basically". It pisses her off when I walk away, but TOO BAD. Speak decent English, my dear, and then maybe I'll listen to you!

Why the hell would you do that?! She's your f***ing FAMILY. You shouldn't give a f**k how she speaks.

Why shouldn't he give a fu**?

Valley girl talk is fu***** up. :LOL:

I don't care if he hates that kind of talk or not, if there is one thing I learned as a human growing up, is that you NEVER turn your back on your family. I may do things that annoy my family, especially my mother, but no matter what happens, she is ALWAYS there for me.

You can disapprove of someones behavior by actively turning away from them and still be there for them. It's called setting boundaries. Not doing so is a disservice. If my niece is misbehaving and she won't listen, I walk away from her until she learns that bad behavior will push people away. I'm doing her a favor.

• Like 3