Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

Mr. Not

Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

• Yes, having it censored is f*cking pointless
    • No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior
    • Yes (other reason)
    • No (other reason)

English is a fine language, and I'm quite pleased I have learned to speak it rather well. Still, there is one aspect that could be bettered there - the cursing. Your swear words are lame compared to ours. In Finnish we have PERKELE. When a Finn bangs his fist to the table and shouts PERKELE, everyone, no matter what language they speak, understand that it is a curse word. So do whatever you wish with your mild 4-letter words, I will always have PERKELE up my sleeve.

(Perkele = Satan, The Devil, The Apocalyptic Beast)

I want to hear Samuel L Jackson say PERKELE.

"Say 'what' again mother-perkele! I dare you! I double dare you!"

"Which wallet is yours?"

"It's the one that says "BAD MOTHERPERKELE."

English is a fine language, and I'm quite pleased I have learned to speak it rather well. Still, there is one aspect that could be bettered there - the cursing. Your swear words are lame compared to ours. In Finnish we have PERKELE. When a Finn bangs his fist to the table and shouts PERKELE, everyone, no matter what language they speak, understand that it is a curse word. So do whatever you wish with your mild 4-letter words, I will always have PERKELE up my sleeve.

(Perkele = Satan, The Devil, The Apocalyptic Beast)

I want to hear Samuel L Jackson say PERKELE.

"Say 'what' again mother-perkele! I dare you! I double dare you!"

"Which wallet is yours?"

"It's the one that says "BAD MOTHERPERKELE."

Exactly.

Proof that the F word, alone, can make great drama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfwFDZGnUk

edit: obviously not work safe...but I think you got that from the title

Edited by Your_Lion

I agree with

Maybe members could be go to their user settings and choose whether or not to censor words. Is that a possibility? By default, everything is censored but a user can disable it for themselves if they want to?

That option does not exist on this board, but it's a pretty good idea.

I think this was a very good idea. I find it annoying as well that words gets censored. It´s just stupid... but right now I am writing Fuuck every time instead of f**k

You, of all people, should be happy about this censorhip.

:D

Why?

Do the two ** in "f**k" bother you that much?

Do the two UC in f**k bother you that much? ;)

Apparently they do here on the board because we have them filtered out. You must have noticed. ;)

Good one! :)

I agree with

Maybe members could be go to their user settings and choose whether or not to censor words. Is that a possibility? By default, everything is censored but a user can disable it for themselves if they want to?

That option does not exist on this board, but it's a pretty good idea.

I think this was a very good idea. I find it annoying as well that words gets censored. It´s just stupid... but right now I am writing Fuuck every time instead of f**k

You, of all people, should be happy about this censorship.

:D

Why?

What is with Sweden and humor? It must be akin to Americans and historical perspective...or the British and oral prophylaxis.

I had to Google oral prophylaxis.

I think we ought to just drop this topic and go wish TonyR a happy birthday.

;)

Happy Birthday Tony!...wherever the f**k you are!

;)

must be hangin with Hilda....

• Like 1

Just uncensor it

The way I see it, it isn't a matter of censorship, but just...decorum. I don't see the need for its use on TRF.

What does vulgarity/profanity bring to the table, so to speak, when (as it has already been pointed out) there are so many other ways that things can be stated?

• Like 3

Just uncensor it

The way I see it, it isn't a matter of censorship, but just...decorum. I don't see the need for its use on TRF.

What does vulgarity/profanity bring to the table, so to speak, when (as it has already been pointed out) there are so many other ways that things can be stated?

Society over multiple generations has given certain words meaning, finding them OK to say or not Ok to say. It's never been about the word per se, but what it represents - the energy or meaning behind the word - and not just the word f**k, or god dammit, but c***, or gay, lesbian, n*****, slave, cracker, f***** all to me are vulgar &/or profane.

It's all in how you've chosent to believe what words trigger an offensive response in you, based on how you were raised and the thoughts you've had that formed your beliefs.

that's all it f***ing is, man.

In one context, i can call a girl who is a close friend a bitch, and then some girl i don't even know call her a bitch in a totally different way.

it was the energy behind the word i chose to use that gave it a playful, (almost) heartfelt meaning, or a not so nice hurtful meaning. it has nothing to do with the letters strewn together to form a word but all in how it's used...

The masses in todays society have collectively formed the belief that the word f**k is bad... very bad.... which recently a friend of mine shared with me how the word f**k got it's name... or where it was derived from. it's an acronym that one day offended some people, probably because they weren't gettin' any, and it blew up from there...

The word comes from signs hung on English brothels. True meaning is an acronym for, Fornication Under Consent of the King. Just so ya' know."

now i'm all for supporting whatever the board decides. but putting the filter doesn't stop those who want to find creative ways to post the word, and it doesn't stop images with that word appearing

it sure as f**k isn't stopping me from using it. so it's a filtered word. Ok.

• Like 3

Just uncensor it

Society over multiple generations has given certain words meaning, finding them OK to say or not Ok to say. It's never been about the word per se, but what it represents - the energy or meaning behind the word - and not just the word f**k, or god dammit, but c***, or gay, lesbian, n*****, slave, cracker, f***** all to me are vulgar &/or profane.

It's all in how you've chosent to believe what words trigger an offensive response in you, based on how you were raised and the thoughts you've had that formed your beliefs.

In one context, i can call a girl who is a close friend a bitch, and then some girl i don't even know call her a bitch in a totally different way.

it was the energy behind the word i chose to use that gave it a playful, (almost) heartfelt meaning, or a not so nice hurtful meaning. it has nothing to do with the letters strewn together to form a word but all in how it's used...

The masses in todays society have collectively formed the belief that the word f**k is bad... very bad.... which recently a friend of mine shared with me how the word f**k got it's name... or where it was derived from. it's an acronym that one day offended some people, probably because they weren't gettin' any, and it blew up from there...

The word comes from signs hung on English brothels. True meaning is an acronym for, Fornication Under Consent of the King. Just so ya' know."

now i'm all for supporting whatever the board decides. but putting the filter doesn't stop those who want to find creative ways to post the word, and it doesn't stop images with that word appearing

The f*ck is this b*tch going on about?

:LOL:

• Like 1

Just uncensor it

Amy = energy :AlienSmiley:

Just uncensor it

Well...okay.

I agree with you about deferring to whatever the forum decides to do. But my thoughts about the necessity, or enjoyment, or whatever it is, of using words like that, for everyone here to see- those haven't changed. Different strokes for different folks, I know, no big deal.

As for those who are content to be perceived however they may be, by insisting on using the four-letter f word, or calling their friends b*tches, or whatever...bless 'em. I just don't care to conduct myself that way.

And I still don't see how it benefits us to see those four-letter words (and five, and six, and ten letters, you know what I mean) on our computer screens. But anyway...

Rock on, folks.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Blue J, I agree with you completely. There is no need to use profanity, but it seems to be the thing to do today. If a profanity isn't used every other word, well I guess you're just not where it's at. Even my 70 year old sister, who has it over me in every area you could imagine, insists on using it. To me, it just cheapens everything.

But - hey - like Pope Francis loves to say: who am I to judge? :LOL:

• Like 1

Blue J, I agree with you completely. There is no need to use profanity, but it seems to be the thing to do today. If a profanity isn't used every other word, well I guess you're just not where it's at. Even my 70 year old sister, who has it over me in every area you could imagine, insists on using it. To me, it just cheapens everything.

But - hey - like Pope Francis loves to say: who am I to judge? :LOL:

He seems to be a pretty enlightened pope-type guy. :)

Just for the record and just to add my two cents I have found myself using the word more the older I get. Don't know why but its the truth. My wife who I consider the salt of the earth uses the word too from time to time. Not saying I am proud of it, just say'in...

I'm not offended by swearing, but I also don't want to say it/hear it/read it in every sentence, mostly because that is really boring. We've all heard those people whose every other word is "f**k" and listening to them is as about as interesting as someone whose every other word is "like."
  • Like 3

I'm not offended by swearing, but I also don't want to say it/hear it/read it in every sentence, mostly because that is really boring. We've all heard those people whose every other word is "f**k" and listening to them is as about as interesting as someone whose every other word is "like."

It's so, like, ironic that we need to click the 'like' button for this post.

• Like 1

Reminds me of that denim wearing guy in that Rush documentary extras DVD. Think it was in the Rush Geeks section. Anyway, he was talking about the "Holy Trinity of Canada" followed by f**k fuckity f**k f**k. Didn't seem offensive but he didn't seem too bright of a dude either.

• Like 1

I often walk away from my niece as she's speaking, because every other word out of her mouth is either "like" or "basically". It pisses her off when I walk away, but TOO BAD. Speak decent English, my dear, and then maybe I'll listen to you!

• Like 2