The Black Sabbath-Van Halen coincidence

Have you ever heard the Abraham Lincoln-John F. Kennedy links? Supposedly, there are a number of similar facts about both men, not just that they were murdered American presidents.

Anyways, I've always been intrigued by the Black Sabbath - Van Halen similarities. Consider: Both rose to prominence on the strength of a guitar phenom. Both started out with front men who, while not classically talented singers, had a unique voice and amazing stage presence. Both arguably invented a style of rock. When their original singers left, they hired already famous front men with superior singing voices, who polarized fans between the two eras. They each had a third already famous vocalist who just wasn't the right fit for the band (admittedly, Sabbath actually had a fourth and fifth vocalist).

I love the Ozzy and Dio eras of Sabbath, but they're totally different bands. Ditto for the Roth and Sammy eras of VH. The Cherone and Gillan/Hughes/Martin eras do nothing for me.

Just an observation.

• Like 3

And right now both Sabbath & Van Halen are touring without a founding member due to a petty fued

True!

Also both reunion albums were pretty damn good imo!

Saw the sabbath show and was blown away.

Van halen in sept...

• Like 2

Now that I think of it, Sabbath had a sixth vocalist. Forgot Ray Gillen.

Another similarity is the hostility fans of the original singer tend to feel about his immediate successor.

And both released live albums with their second singers widely recognized to be essentially a studio album.

• Like 1

And right now both Sabbath & Van Halen are touring without a founding member due to a petty fued

True!

Also both reunion albums were pretty damn good imo!

Saw the sabbath show and was blown away.

Van halen in sept...

And people ripped the live vocal performances of both singers pretty mercilessly.

So , which was the better comeback album?

Imo it was 13

Agreed. But ADKoT was still pretty good.

Oh i agree that was solid as well. Honestly i was surprised as i was fearing for the worst

There was also the infamous '78 tour , with reports of VH blowing a tired sabbath off the stage every night.

older dude I know saw that tour, and the ramones were on before VH. the denim-warriors were not pleased :D