Lessons/ Discovery Similarity

WavesandWindows

hey, I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like Discovery and Lessons have a very aimilar riff. The main verse for Lessons feels like the riff starting at 8:15 in the 2112 Suite. Is this just me, or have other people noticed this too. Feels like they were writing Lessons and couldn't think of a bit to use for the verse, and feeling that the riff in Discovery was great but didn't last long enough, they put it into Lessons. Again, just speculation, but does anyone else know any stories on this one?

Whatever the case Lessons is one of my favorite songs they have ever done. As I have stated many times I am convinced it is the most underrated tune they ever recorded. I'll leave it to the musicians around here to figure out the answer to your question... :)
  • Like 4

Not the same chord structure but definitely similar. Just the vibe Al was into at the time.

Much like his classical phase of AFTK. He definitely goes through phases.

• Like 2

Whatever the case Lessons is one of my favorite songs they have ever done. As I have stated many times I am convinced it is the most underrated tune they ever recorded. I'll leave it to the musicians around here to figure out the answer to your question... :)

Narps I agree. I have always thought That Geddy has a great voice for the melodic songs. Its to bad his screeching voice over shadow the hidden ems that Geddy can produce in a melodic song.

I all ways wonder if this song hints at one of the members of the band being unfaithful ( watch the comic strip movie of 2112).

• Like 1

Alex was, obviously, influenced by Jimmy Page, and the chords Alex uses in this section of 2112 are very reminiscent of what Page did so well - in particular, Stairway To Heaven ( at approx. 2:20 mark "oooh, makes me wonder" )

This technique was not limited to Page - it uses a chord position ie open "D" chord, and the guitarist moves that same position up or down the neck, using the open strings as the consistent ringing notes while the fingered chord changes ..

It can be very effective and create a lot of mood, similar to tuning a guitar to "open tuning" ala Keith Richards

This goes all the way back to the early acoustic blues artists who needed to fill up as much space as possible with their instrument

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Making Memories, Discovery, Lessons, Presto, Half the World all have that same vibe. There's a lot of that on S & A as well, as I recall. I only really like the first three variations, through Lessons.

Tons of musicians use moveable chords. Just like tons of musicians use climbing and descending arpeggio patterns - I don't know what those are called, but Lifeson and Lee use them all over the place - In the Mood, Fly By Night, In the End, The Necromancer . . . all the way up to The Main Monkey Business and Wish Them Well.

It's how you combine all those little guitar tricks together along with your tone and attack and vibrato and feel that makes you a unique sounding guitarist. People can try to look for/figure out the "influence," but I think ultimately it all comes from the same place (once you've learned your rudiments). The discovery of using a moveable chord with droning open strings will feel like your discovery, even if a thousand other people have done it.