Fountain of Lamneth

G Lee

Musk Oil as a perfume first showed up in 1972. Along with Ambergris and Civet Oils.

Thank you!

i should have said in my area. It may have been around earlier. I used to love them, but they stopped selling Ambergris and Civet. I guess they weren't big sellers.

Anyway, that is why I guess Neil mentioned it in Panacea.

Actually, ambergris is a substance produced in the digestive system of sperm whales and civet oil is a glandular secretion from the Civet cat. Both were used in perfumes. Ambergris is illegal for use in the US because of the endangered species act, while I believe Civet oil might still be legal.

Edited by G Lee

My eyes have just been opened

and their opened very wide

:LOL:

I always laugh when I hear this sung because of Geddy saying in BTLS that most of the lyrics on COS sound like they were all really stoned while writing the songs and then this lyric was played along side the comment :P.

Edited by G Lee

Musk Oil as a perfume first showed up in 1972. Along with Ambergris and Civet Oils.

Thank you!

i should have said in my area. It may have been around earlier. I used to love them, but they stopped selling Ambergris and Civet. I guess they weren't big sellers.

Actually, ambergris is a substance produced in the digestive system of sperm whales and civet oil is a glandular secretion from the Civet cat. Both were used in perfumes. Ambergris is illegal for use in the US because of the endangered species act, while I believe Civet oil might still be legal.

It wasn't yet illegal in 1972. I know because i owned a bottle of each one. They both had beautiful scents. Jovan put them out.

Thank you!

It wasn't yet illegal in 1972. I know because i owned a bottle of each one. They both had beautiful scents. Jovan put them out.

Not sure when they made it illegal, Wikipedia just said it was now.

I actually did not know there was a song called "Fountain of Lamneth" for many years, despite having listened to COS a gazillion times in my youth, because I happened to have one of those cassettes on which "Fountain of Lamneth" wasn't listed as a title and had no clue it was a side long epic. In fact one of the songs from FOL wasn't even on the same side as the others.

I remember reading one day in some publication about "Fountain of Lamneth" as an example of a sidelong suite Rush epic and thinking "Fountain of Lamneth? How did I miss that?" Then I realized it was all stuff from COS.

That was MANY years ago (80s?) but to this day I still tend not to think of the parts of FOL as parts of one side length epic.

For those not aware of this odd aspect of COS's production history, this is from the Wikipedia article about COS:

"Some cassette printings of the album altered its intended track listing, specifically switching the "Didacts and Narpets" movement of "The Fountain of Lamneth" with "I Think I'm Going Bald" (possibly because of cassette tape length and to balance out both sides). In addition, the other movements of "The Fountain of Lamneth" are listed as separate songs."

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

For those not aware of this odd aspect of COS's production history, this is from the Wikipedia article about COS:

"Some cassette printings of the album altered its intended track listing, specifically switching the "Didacts and Narpets" movement of "The Fountain of Lamneth" with "I Think I'm Going Bald" (possibly because of cassette tape length and to balance out both sides). In addition, the other movements of "The Fountain of Lamneth" are listed as separate songs."

Ah yes, good old cassettes and 8-tracks. Having to either fast forward or wait for your favorite song if it wasn't at the beginning of the side. I remember some 8-tracks where they actually faded out a song halfway through and then faded it back in on the next track in order to make it all fit. Those were the days. :codger: NOT!!! Thank goodness for cds! :clap:

Anyway, back to FoL. I give it 7.5/10. Parts of it are awesome. Those first power chords after the acoustic intro always give me a rush (pun intended)! It's a little too long and meandering though compared to their later epics. I have to be in the mood to sit through all of it (Necromancer works better as a longer piece for me). But obviously it was an important stepping stone to 2112, which unlocked the door to everything for them.

Thank you!

Not sure when they made it illegal, Wikipedia just said it was now.

The Endangered Species Act went into effect in '73. So you're good.

Interestingly, ambergris is a whale byproduct that can be obtained naturally without any harm coming to the animal (in fact, I don't believe there's really an effective way of harvesting it by killing a whale)... it comes out with their shit, but ironically ends up smelling decent enough when it ages that it's used in perfumes.

It's fallen out of favor not only because of legality issues but because it's very difficult to obtain reliably. You just have to hope some washes up on the shore somewhere. Synthetic materials have replaced it now.

• Like 1

I have the 8-track of CoS and it really is the dog's breakfast regarding how they sliced and diced the music to fit it into 4 equal parts. Never had the cassette but yeah, with Side 1 and Side 2 having such an imbalance regarding duration, it would make for an awkward listening experience as well.

WTF!?! Were they high when they made that album :smoke: