Denver R40 show

slowroll

Wow! Admittedly, I only saw two R40 shows (Philly and Denver) so I can't compare to other tour stops, but the two I saw were the same setlist © and Denver was clearly a stronger performance.

They seemed relaxed and to be having more fun than before. Geddy sang better than any of the shows/video/audio clips I've watched so far. Even the really old/hard stuff (Lakeside Park, Anthem, etc.) sounded clear and clean and no struggling.

What a great show!

• Like 8

Absolutely a great show. I saw them in Columbus and got set A. Drove all the way out to Denver to see them one more time and got Set c which is the best out of them all. Geddys vocals were much stronger on this show than in Columbus as well.
  • Like 3

Wow! Admittedly, I only saw two R40 shows (Philly and Denver) so I can't compare to other tour stops, but the two I saw were the same setlist © and Denver was clearly a stronger performance.

They seemed relaxed and to be having more fun than before. Geddy sang better than any of the shows/video/audio clips I've watched so far. Even the really old/hard stuff (Lakeside Park, Anthem, etc.) sounded clear and clean and no struggling.

What a great show!

This show was great everything my lousy Tulsa experience wasn't. I agree the band performed and clicked better than what I have seen before on this tour.

• Like 1

My 3rd show, 2nd time seeing set C. I was most blown away by how many high notes Geddy reached cleanly without shakiness. He was obviously feeling very confident last night and it was great to see. That final high note of HF came through the p.a. so powerfully it gave me chills.

Neil did great as usual and seemed really into the 2nd set. That old school drum set seems to pack so much more punch than his modern set. And another chill inducing moment for me is hearing him hit those chimes during CTTH and Xanadu. Wow. So beautiful live.

Alex definitely seems more at ease. He was shredding like vintage Lerxst for the most part, even nailing the RTB solo with perfection (he's struggled with it at times). He also seems to be engaging the audience and Ged more than before.

A few more random thoughts about this show as I watched it for the last time.

I really LOVE Anarchist as the opener. Such a rockin' riff to come out on after the intro video. Headlong is another song I seem to enjoy more every time I see it.

I've become a bigger fan of DEW than I was before this tour. It's sounding so good, has great video and lighting behind it, and seems to really light up the crowd. I still prefer BTW as a song, but have enjoyed the DEW performances more this tour.

TSOR is still a powerhouse live, especially with all the lights they're throwing behind it. Brings down the house every time.

Still blown away by Cygnus X1. So powerful, so intricate and a great streamlined arrangement.

Then of course there's Xanadu, which has been talked about so much already. Just pure beauty in every way. The whole closing run of Xanadu, 2112 (with the awesome Presentation), LP, Anthem, WYD and WM/GR slams an exclamation point on arguably their most brilliantly crafted show.

I will miss this band. It's been fun. A higher state of mind indeed!

• Like 4

Maybe those higher notes are easier to sing in thin air... sort of like inhaling helium? :-)

I liked the part when Geddy jumped up on the crate on his side and played to those of us to the left of the stage for a while. Hard to get those guys away from their pedals for too long, though.

• Like 2

Aside from the fact we do not have our swag yet I, for one, would like to compliment how well the VIP Nation process worked in Denver.

Of course it doesn’t hurt that we managed to snag Second Row Dead Center! The two in front of us also obtained their tickets via the VIP Gold package route. Front row center for an average Joe (and Jill)? Awesome, absolutely awesome!

Looking at StubHub in the days leading up to the show there were very few seats for resale in the first 10 rows. Combine that with the fact everyone around us I could see had the wristbands indicating the VIP route, and I would say this process both thwarted the resellers AND offered the average guy who doesn’t know anyone special the opportunity to garner an absolutely great seat (albeit a $400 one). I say this because they could have EASILY kept the first two or three rows for their buddies, insiders, radio stations, etc. BUT THEY DIDN’T!

It is unnerving not knowing your seat until the day of, but it is a bit exciting as well, and certainly seeing 2nd row center made the anticipation worthwhile!

My only comment would be to divide the VIP sections into 5 row packages (Platnium – 1-5 / Gold 6-10 / Silver 11-15) with corresponding price changes. Same price for row 1 and row 10 might be just a little unfair (or disappointing)…

All in all though, I’d take the VIP Nation route over Ticketbastard any day. Say what you will about capitalism, the new normal, or whatever, you’re not getting 2nd row center for $400 with those greedy crooks! No way, no how…

As far as the show goes – PERFECT! Something tells me this may be the last time I see them and I couldn’t write a more perfect ending to a most excellent ride. The band seemed tight, on, and as mentioned before, Geddy brought his pipes!

Since the last time I was up real close the photographer pit has gotten a little deeper, making the front few rows just a little more insulated from the action. Maybe half the time it appears on the video screens that the band is interacting with the audience down front, they are actually mugging for the cameras at their feet. Nevertheless, still a never to be forgotten experience seeing everything so close.

Also, the security fellows didn’t have much of a sense of humor, and seemed a bit nitpicky at times. I will cut anybody some slack however, if their job is to sit and watch people watch a concert. We talked to one of the guys about how he got the up front duty and he said, “Nothing special, aside from the fact I had to promise over and over I would not turn around, and that sucks as this is one of my favorite bands!".

Overall – I couldn’t have been happier with the experience last night. Thanks Rush for a (my) perfect ending to a unbelievable touring career!

Now I’m feeling old… Cant wait for the DVD!

• Like 4

I am officially pleased for, and jealous of, all who attended last night. Watching on periscope, it was clear they brought their "A" game last night. Neil's fills were crisp and clean, Al shredded his fingers off, and Geddy was in full throat & furious fingers.
  • Like 3

I'm really pleased how well Geddy sounded, Alex was great having a good time, Neil look tired toward the end but you wouldn't know it by listening...he even smiled a few times.

The pot was good too! ;)

• Like 1

I'm really pleased how well Geddy sounded, Alex was great having a good time, Neil look tired toward the end but you wouldn't know it by listening...he even smiled a few times.

The pot was good too! ;)

I think you may have hit on why Alex was in a good mood.

My hometown gig of the tour! I thought it might be the best overall I've ever heard the band play. Of my three so far this tour, easily the best. I agree about Neil in the second set really being into it. He was really laying into Jacob's Ladder for sure!! I live in the mountains a few hours west of Denver, drove right by Neil's bus on my way home!!!
  • Like 3

IMO it looked like Alex was a laboring a bit during set 1. His body language just didn't seem right. Either that or he just wasn't fully engaged. In set 2 he was absolutely bringing it.

I saw the earlier R40 show in ATL which was at the amphitheater. DEN had much better crowd energy and the boys fed off that. Ged appeared to be having the time of his life up there.

During the ATL show, I thought Xanadu was the highlight. My 21 year-old son was with me in DEN, and this was his first time seeing them. Even though he wasn't that familiar with Xanadu, it was interesting that he felt it was the strongest moment of the show.

A middle-aged female sat near us who had been a fan since her teens, but had never seen them live. She was totally blown away by the experience. I personally loved a comment overheard from a fan directly behind me at one point. Song ends and in the brief moment of silence he says, "Holy Shit!" I had to agree.

That show was so good that should it be my last opportunity, the memory is worthy.

• Like 2

My hometown gig of the tour! I thought it might be the best overall I've ever heard the band play. Of my three so far this tour, easily the best. I agree about Neil in the second set really being into it. He was really laying into Jacob's Ladder for sure!! I live in the mountains a few hours west of Denver, drove right by Neil's bus on my way home!!!

I spent most of yesterday in Grand Lake. Drive was two hours up, two hours back. Every time I saw a motorcycle (and I saw a bunch) I would look once, twice, three times :)

Edited by analog guy

Maybe those higher notes are easier to sing in thin air... sort of like inhaling helium? :-)

I liked the part when Geddy jumped up on the crate on his side and played to those of us to the left of the stage for a while. Hard to get those guys away from their pedals for too long, though.

I thought about the thin air on Saturday and was going to mention it. Apparently they don't seem to have a problem with it. I lived in Colorado for a few months and I had a very hard time adjusting to it.

I used my Tascam dr-1 to record the Denver show. The wav files are here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!yFUDGLqY!KWKlB7tE--qSOwaUc9gbPlabjznWKlkj4YX17MuDAvA

I am a newbie at live recording... I tried to clean up the recording a bit and diminish the yelling from the two guys next to me, but I'm not much of an Audacity expert. The sound quality is fair, but still has some distortion even though I think I had the levels set right. I guess the mic on the little recorder just isn't that good. :-(

I really do think this was one their best R40 performances so far.

This is posted on Mega... I signed up for an account and so far it has not infected my computer. :-)

• Like 1

Had to miss my hometown gig due to an extremely rare life event that took me out of town.

Was watching for another show to catch, and Denver fit into my schedule.

Sooooooo glad it was good. I'd never been to Denver before (though I travel a lot) and had less than 24 hours there. The financial and physical toll of making that trip were huge, but I just could NOT miss this tour. Geddy is in EXCELLENT shape. It's so hard to think of retiring altogether from the road.... when they are this strong live!

• Like 2